Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Winko

Winko Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Not sure if this has been asked but does this game have permadeath.
    As I've never played any of the Xcom games before but it does seem my type of game.

As for the price, it seems fair and I would love it if this encouraged some bigger studios to release big games on ios. Now all I need to do is find enough room on my ipad 2 (only down to 3gig free)
    Thanks

2. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    How does this run on the 4tg gen ipod touch?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It doesn't.

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The game does have permadeath. If you want you can even make it save after every move you do, making it impossible to go back to an older save file.

5. JeromeHall

JeromeHall New Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Watching that video comparison, I am impressed. Is it PS3 quality? No. But as a longtime Xcom player, it's the gameplay and mechanics, not the graphics and textures that matter. This looks exactly like I had hoped for, the mechanics of the console, with practical graphics. I'll tak content over shaders any day. Hour-1 purchase for me. Frankly, there are many of us, who in our professional and parenting lives, have had to give up on consoles, this is a major win.

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It does have permadeath. If a member of your squad dies and you're unable to save him, he's gone forever.

Edit: Beaten!

I am impressed too but the atmosphere is somewhat dumbed down because of the dynamic lightning that was removed. Other than that it seems like a great port :)

7. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    If you lose team members and don't have a medic to stabilize or if they get critical killed, yes, they are permanently dead. If you clear a mission with a downed soldier still bleeding out with turns left, you manage to save them but they will be in recover for an amount of time dependent on the severity of the damage taken.

Ditto on finding the room... I have some apps I need to sacrifice to the digi-gods!

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#88 Der-Kleine, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    You'll take content over shaders any day? Well this version is lacking both! (Maps were taken out of the iOS version to reduce the file size)

Still, this is a game that I'd say makes more sense on a tablet or a PC than it does on a console...

9. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Hear, hear!!!

10. Coflash

Coflash New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Anyone got any iPad4 or iPhone 5 shots?

11. Winko

Winko Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Spot on jeromehall . I have an Xbox and very rarely play it due to lack of time but find myself playing on ipad/iPhone more than ever

12. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out and looked on iPad3..Judging from the video from PG.. :)

13. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Just deleted my whole comic collection and a few apps to make way. A crazy part of me is really excited to spend $20 on a game tonight :)

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The first part of this quote bears repeating. Yes, it'll be great fun and yes, it deserves to do incredibly well, but people deserve to know that technically, this is not a complete port and there is actual gameplay content missing.

The last sentence I'm not so sure about. If this had been a complete port, then... maybe, but XCom runs beautifully on consoles, looks beautiful and controls beautifully too. I'm not sure why anybody would assume it doesn't make sense.

The "iPad 4 and up" comment in the description is a little disheartening though. I'd take a sprite-based XCom over 3D if it meant it performed well on my tablet.

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#96 killercow, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  17. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
  18. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
  19. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    19.99 is a steal for this quality of a game. It's still less than a 3DS game and it's a full port. Amazes me how much people bitch just to bitch

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That's the reason why we get the good stuff only rarely.
    Yes. That's the mentality of the majority.