Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Lol didn't know the trend is not to update..

Btw guys the hamburg mission where you need to save civilians or they get killed or zombified.. How many did u guys achieve? I saved only half of it... Geezus

2. hourglass

hourglass Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I have a need to update. If I see that little red number, I have to update. If I don't, I go crazy slowly until I do.

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I generally avoid updating my apps until I need to as I have had updates that broke working apps... Just download the free "Tayo the Little Bus Garage Game" and you will find that it is still broken with no patches turning up to fix the previous patches that broke this originally working app.

Actually my number of unpatched apps should be higher, but one day I was in the App Store and reached up to click on the [Back] button, only Apple put [Update all apps] there instead...

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Funny coincidence or psychic game

I'm playing through this godsawful terror mission yesterday and I wind up in this clusterfrack where there's a Cyberdisc Cannon at short range from my squad, a Chryssalid able to reach my squad on the next turn, and a panicked Rookie soldier pretty much right in front of the Cyberdisc Cannon. With the exception of a couple of light plasma rifles, everyone is still using conventional weapons and wearing standard body armor.

As soon as the aliens' turn comes, I'm going to lose, at the least, the panicked rookie; dude is at 2HP and cowering at point blank range. I have other panicked soldiers, others have already made their move whittling down the cannon's HP, so we're about to face a much more powerful CC and have a Chryssalid in our midst which can kill my guys in one blow in the shape we're in.

I have only one soldier who hasn't gone, a Heavy class, and there is only one move I can make that is a net gain for my side. I fire her single rocket round right into the middle of the CC/C/R trio. BLAMMO! Cyberdisc Cannon is killed, yay. Chryssalid is killed, yay. Miraculously, the rookie is only critically injured, he can be stabilized with a med kit, yay...

No, wait, Cyberdisc Cannon wreck explodes and Rookie is killed ;)

Then I notice what the nickname was my Heavy soldier has had for some time: Collateral :D

5. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Nice job.I love my 2 assault guys , one is called sheriff and other cowboy lol, unfortunately sheriff took a plasma arrow to the head in last mission.They were a nice assault team :(
    Also got support guy who almost singlehanded fought off last wave of enemies and stabilized 2 critical soldiers, he got "Santa" nickname from that mission :D

6. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Hey i didn't know you get the nicks from the action in battlefield lol..

Btw I am in the month where the scientist discovered the hyper wave or something like that.. All of the sudden all the UFO just ran away.. I couldn't stop them with the interceptors.. And got a C.. Duh

7. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I lost three, saved the rest. For those missions have support units with the extra space movement and assault with the double move and shoot ability (forget the name). In later levels I use the robots once I have them developed!

8. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    And this is why I love games like this! The war stories you have afterwords to tell people are just so hilarious and so exhilarating awesome and just plain funny! I love games like this and like Farcry 3 that leave you with gameplay experiences to tell other people your gaming experience as if it was an actual event that happened in your real life!

9. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Why robots? Btw do robots take extra slot? You mean that SHIV thingie?

10. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The SHIV is the s*** :D

Takes a lot of money to research all the perks, but once they're buffed up, really good for soaking up fire and dishing out the hurt. The SHIV takes up a spot in your squad, but is well worth it as a heavy weapons platform that can be repaired in the field and is immune to psi based attacks. In my first game, I didn't bother making them until almost the end, am going to try to get them sooner this game, particularly the alloy one that can be used as mobile cover.

11. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Found a nice way to reliably crash the game (aka, don't do this until they fix it):

mild spoilers for those who haven't got this far

If you move a soldier equipped with an Arc Thrower within stun range of the very first Sectoid Commander you encounter, the one in the Alien Base, the game bombs out - you are "fated" to kill it so it can appear on the autopsy table in the cutscene following your return to base ;)

12. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #952 Bool Zero, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    C.Hannum sums it up best with the follow comment...

Pretty much this! Especially in later levels I make it a point to have a S.H.I.V. (sorry, couldn't think of the name earlier) on my team during an away mission and especially during the save the civilian missions! Especially once you get it decked out with the hover options and the Plasma weapon upgrade, a team with at least two S.H.I.V.'s can decimate the opposition when used effectively!

Don't forget: the S.H.I.V. can be used as a movable piece of cover for your fleshy units as well! A mobile shield that fires! Such fun strategic options open up with this element!

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've been playing on my iPhone 4s because the game was crashing a lot on my iPad. At first it didn't crash too much, but after 2-3 hours playing it began crashing more. I feel it has to do with memory usage. Hopefully they'll fix it in future updates, but it's a pain. The game is fantastic though. I'd recommend it to everyone out there.

14. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Close down all background apps or get the "System Status" or "Sys-activity" app to release memory on your device. Run it before launching processor-intensive games and you'll notice a significant performance boost and fewer to no crashes.

15. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    So am I the only one after the hyper wave construction having all the UFO running away?

16. Sildani

Sildani Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    High school social studies teacher
    NOVA
    No, it seems to be what happens after you discover the damn thing. It's apparently a "scripted" discovery, and after you get it there's more UFO activity and they're tougher. Only thing you can do - I think - is have the upgraded interceptor (Firestorm?) researched, built, and online BEFORE the scripted event. Hope that helps a little.

17. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I had couple of crashes too.. I am running on an iPad retina the best of the current lineup.. I guess the crashes have to do with sudden allocation of memory.. Dunno if that even make sense..

Game crashes when muton threw a grenade that blew up my squad and vehicles.. Won't crash when reload

Game crashes when there's cutscenes not all cutscenes.. Reload and it's ok..

That's what I notice.. Anyway no big deal coz I ain't macho and playing on normal mode with saves...

18. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Ok so I guess its ok then.. Is it possible to even afford firestorm before that its like before the 4th council meeting..

I don't mind they are tougher but they don't stay and fight.. They run.. I have all my interceptors with plasma cannons.. But the firestorm description does say able to keep up with alien technology.. Maybe we do need to upgrade..

19. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    #959 drmad, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
    hell yeah you could do that
    i even have all the country with minimum one firestorm with EMP cannon
    i already built a hovering SHIV, all plasma weapon and archangel armor
    you can just do a little grind here and there :p

20. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Before the 4th council meeting? I believe the month is July.. U have all those?