Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Stun to get weapons.. Kill to get promotion. And stun gives u more satisfaction..

2. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You can sell broken alien equipment on the grey market, which is very, very usefull in the early stages of the game when strapped for cash.

3. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Heh, at what point isn't it useful :)

I don't think I reached "more money than I can actually use in practice" until about 3 missions prior to taking on the mothership itself. I was more than happy to see damaged equipment because it does a run around on "packrat" mentality.

4. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, the game does not seem to work with an iPad Mini running iOS 7 Beta 2. Not knocking it by any means, but if there are other people who like to experiment out there, just know what you are getting into.

5. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, I guess you're right. :)
    The trick also, is to figure out what is beneficial to sell, and what you need to hold onto to build various equipment.
    Some alien corpses is fine to sell, (as long as they're researched), and others are needed to build, mostly, accessories and weaponry to the interceptors.

I didn't know that at first, so I made it really hard for myself, and had to start a new game...

I've restarted the game five times now, mostly because I kept losing countries because I was allocating resources wrong, and failed to build enough uplinks and satellites, and/or placing them too early.

Finally I figured out that it's best to wait until the very last moment to decide which countries is going to get sattelite coverage, just before the Counsil Meeting, to see which country is most likely to go into panic.

Yesterday I finally caved in, and read a strategy guide, so I might actually play a game to the end now... :D

This game is so deep, and not just the tactical fighting on the ground, but also the strategic game of the base building.

I really love this game.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I guess if it has to do with iOS 7 or with the game itself, it will be solved by the time iOS 7 is oficially released ;)

7. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I figured, not complaining or anything, it's to be expected on a Beta.

I think it might have something to do with the Unreal engine maybe. Infinity Blade II fails as well.

Oh well, no biggie.

8. briansanderson

briansanderson Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Yep must be IOS 7 beta. I'm playing on the mini and it runs fine.

9. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    Couple of pages back, I seem to remember someone saying after going from beta 1 to beta 2 it didn't work anymore. Guess you're stuck until it gets a fix...

10. jeStR65

jeStR65 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Yeah I mentioned it the day ios7beta2 came out I never had a issue with the first beta and now games saves are being corrupted and having random crashes hopefully the next beta will fix it back to running smooth as silk ;) love the game but ill just have to be patient I guess lol

11. hourglass

hourglass Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    What a great game. I had to restart, though; I got my butt handed to me by a horde of Mutons.

12. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    U are a perfectionist.. Lol I too wanted to restart when it didn't go my way.. But after a couple of reloads I manage to save my butt and everything went smoothly from then..the alien base raid was the key factor I would say

13. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    which strategy guide may i ask? one for ios specifically or a pc guide from 2012?

i must admit i need a strategy guide if anyone can recommend one, as im having more trouble than i should ( but i am really loving this game). glad i got it on ipad4 too, spent 2 hours at the shopping centre yesterday playing it while the Mrs got her nails done, got a massage and bought who knows what hahah the time flew by..usually id be crawling the walls in boredom

14. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I don't think u need a strategy guide.. I too playing this for first time although I am a fan of TBS I never played this before..

What I notice patience pays off.. The game doesn't limit your turns.. So move instead of dash.. Take your time after each move cover.. Rinse and repeat..

15. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    yeah i am a bit impatient
    i need to sit back and take my time more so

16. chrisjmtoscano

Jun 24, 2013
    Hey,

Can somebody explain why this is worth 4x the amount of Warhammer Quest? i already have Warhammer Quest and i love it...so is this 4x as good? i dnt wanna buy the same game except this ones with aliens, esp not for 20 bucks

17. dammskog

dammskog Member

Dec 18, 2010
    corrupts save file, do not buy this game

this game seems to have serious bug that corrupts the save game making it impossible to complete the game

after a while your savefile will become corrupt and you cannot continue to play the game. If you are playing it in ironman, the only way to play it properly, you are ####ed and all the time is wasted.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME UNTIL THIS BUG HAS BEEN PATCHED OUT!!

18. AaronLee

AaronLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interactive Designer
    Philadelphia
    #898 AaronLee, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    I've been playing WHQ for a while now, and it is great fun. I Also haven't played X-Com on iOS, but I do have it on PS3 and personally I feel it is leagues better than WHQ. It's hard to compare them outright, because the settings are totally different, and the gameplay differs a bit.

For instance, in WHQ you enter new "zones" of a dungeon that mat or may not initiate an encounter, along with random rolls dictating random encounters. But once that happens, you see all of the enemy placements. In XC, you have the fog of war, which means you can't see a certain part of the stage if your characters line of sight can't see it, which adds a lot more strategy. Toss in tons of things like taking cover, flanking, taking rooftop positions, and on and on, you'll quickly see that WHQ, while fun, pales in comparison to the amount of strategy and fun involved.

Most battles in WHQ are relatively the same. Battles in XC can vary wildly, and I've found my friends and I will resell encounters as if we were telling war stories. Fully recommended.

19. hourglass

hourglass Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Okay, so I've been noticing A LOT of crashes lately. I win a fight, it crashes, and I have to do the fight all over again.

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #900 Bytebrain, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    I can recommend this guide:

8 tips for saving the world in Xcom: Enemy Unknown

And

The XCOM field commander’s tactical guide to Enemy Unknown

First link is advice for the base building part of the game, and the second for tactical survival in the field.
    Both are very good, spoiler free and great advice.