Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Someone posted a clip earlier from the PC version with a timed versus match (2 mins a turn) with one player controlling a human team and the other controlling an alien team. I'm assuming we'll get the same multiplayer options as other formats but I'm not looking them up just in case it's different - don't want to get my hopes up too much - so I don’t know any more than that.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I ended up making space for the game on the ipad and iphone and bought it. It's fantastic, at least on iPad. I have yet to try iPhone though. I've read that the fonts are very small, but any way the game is great.

3. Corydon

Corydon Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Say, that works better. Not perfect, but pretty well. Thanks!

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Completed on Normal, think that might have been the longest credit sequence in the history of mankind ;). Managed to finish without losing any countries so onto greater challenges with Classic and a different continent for base of operations.

The mothership map definitely pushed the 5G touch to its outer limits, had to stop and reboot a few times.

5. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Is there a certain amount of time to complete the various objectives throughout the game? Or does the storyline progress as you complete objectives?

Just wondering if I should be rushing to complete assigned objectives.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The tasks marked "PRIORITY" are generally plot milestones that also mark an increase in difficulty with the arrival of new alien beings and ships, so you don't want to race through the story too fast and neglect your other research, or you'll be underpowered.

For the most part you're free to delay the plot missions/research until you want to do them, so as long as you're keeping panic down across the board, you're good to experiment and explore.

7. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    wow! I lost four countries, playing on easy mode! You must be very good at games like this!

8. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I find it disappointing when at the end of UFO raid missions I get mostly broken Flight Controllers & Power Sources (like only 1 FC was good and 5 others were broken?!) when I specifically made sure I did not use any explosives or grenades at all during the mission. :(

9. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You're mostly going to get broken technology from crashed UFOs until you research the EMP cannon for your ships, after which point you can take down alien vessels without unduly damaging the machinery inside.

10. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Bravo and ditto... I don't think I have every lost a country on normal either when playing this on 360 and I managed to do a clean run of this on iPad with no losses ad only one fatality to my soldiers. Now Classic and onward is another story... But I think the most I've ever lost on Classic was one country but I have never been able to pull off a clean sweep yet. I will try hear on the iPad soon but I fear I am still not good enough, hehe!

11. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ohhh, that makes sense! Thanks a lot! One more that's bugging me - why can't I assign more than one interceptor to fight a UFO? Is it really always 1-on-1? If that 1 is about to die, can I widraw and then let the other one on the continent continue the fight with the now more than half damaged UFO?

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Thanks, I chalk it up to way too many hours on other TBS games. I was bumbling around a lot at first having never played the game before, but after a while I started to see the patterns and figure out what to do. The hardest part was getting the feel for the particular way all the combat elements fit together, but once I did, definitely the best combat in this vein since Jagged Alliance 2 (if anyone wants to make a real remake of that, I have a firstborn son I might consider letting go ;) JA:BIA was a decent enough game, but missing so much of what made the original so addictive it actually deserved that word's usage.).

I think I largely avoided losing any countries by always going for the abduction in the country with the highest panic level, plus the council "coincidentally" seems to toss you council missions in high panic locations, which was never a bad thing. The rest was just a combination of staying up on satellite production, uplink construction, and keeping adequate airship coverage for shooting down UFOs, plus probably some dumb luck :D

13. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's always one on one. If you're having trouble beating the enemy in air combat, you'll need to research new weapons, the Firestorm craft to replace your interceptors, and/or the consumable combat aids. If you don't upgrade your gear, you can easily end up in situations where it is literally impossible to take down an enemy ship before the timer runs out even if you use every boost available during the fight.

Once you have a Firestorm with an EMP cannon, though, you can take down any ship in about three shots, and you'll get bonus undamaged tech from the wreck.

14. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I found a way to beat large UFO. I am not sure if this is a bug or what.. There's no way an interceptor with missiles gonna take down a large UFO.. First of all have at least 3 interceptors.. Launch 1 when the interceptor about to blow withdraw it then send another one... I did this and took down a large UFO!!! And the. My squad captured 3 sectoid commanders!!! Lol and got an A from council!!!!

15. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    While that might work, it's probably not the most efficient or cost-effective way to go about saving the planet. ^_-

16. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Don't know why this made me laugh but it did. Can just imagine it in the emergency meeting.

AGENDA

1) How do we stop the earth from being invaded.
    2) The toilets are a mess, can we sort this.
    3) Cost savings on global defence, do marines really need trousers.
    4) Any other business.

:D

17. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Do you guys kill or capture ?

18. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks for sharing! So apparently a one-after-the-other strategy is allowed and can work (should still focus on researching better interceptor tech though)

19. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Yeah researching is better but when your save file is only 3 days away from the attack.. You will do any means to bring it down.. Well at least I got A.. That what matters more lol

20. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You should always stun at least one of every new alien type you encounter (preferably the first time you meet them) in order to unlock new research, and save yourself time and money in the long run. You also get to keep the weapons of every alien you stun (the weapons explode if you kill the aliens wielding them), which means that you don't have to build them yourself to give to your soldiers or other countries who ask for them.

A couple of enemy types can't be stunned at all, but the majority can and should be.