Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    A good rule of thumb is not to pass the story checkpoints if you haven't done much research, because the game becomes more difficult after each one. For the bigger UFOs, you'll want stronger weapons for your interceptor at first, a Firestorm ship with an EMP cannon as soon as you can make these, and don't be afraid to make and use the consumable combat aids (aim, dodge, speed) if you need them.

If you've managed to get yourself stuck with severe planning/money issues, then it is a good idea to only place a single interceptor in each region at first: don't bother transferring more around the place or buying more than one weapon for the whole lot of them, as it is faster and cheaper to simply take the gun off one and stick it on another (it takes three days to transfer a ship to another country, but only 24 hours in total to exchange a gun between countries and mount it on a different ship). Doing it this way requires a bit of save/reload cheatery, though, where you see where the UFO pops up, then reload and send your one gun to the single aircraft you have in that region, but if you're in dire straits, it's worth considering.

If you're up against a UFO you simply cannot beat with the tech you have at the time, it's a better idea to let it go rather than throw away an expensive ship for no reason.

2. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    xcom advice from exp multi plat players

im really interested in XCOM
    for some reason it went under my radar last year but since its ios release ive been researching it and it seems like the kind of game i love
    i have civ 5 g&k on pc and love it.. turn based games i seem drawn to

anyway, i need advice on which system to get it on. i was going to post this on gamespot but no one takes ios seriously on there

ok i have
    pc (laptop with hd 3000 intergrated graphics, i5 2410m 2.3GHz, 8gig ram
    ps3
    ipad 4

from people who have played XCOM on multiple platforms, which system do you recommend?
    the idea of turn based strategy with a controller seems weird to me but apparently it sold well on consoles so it couldnt be too bad.

Are the controls intuitive and easy to get used to on ipad? ( same dilemma with KOTOR & Civ Rev..i want them on ipad but worried about controls)
    id prefer better control over better graphics so how it looks isnt a huge issue.
    i am getting a gaming desktop in the near future, but want to buy XCOM today just unsure which system

Thanks for the help guys

3. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Really depends on you.. For me I will always prefer iOS game over pc.. Reason being its portable.. While commuting to work I can play.. And I don't even need to shut it down..

Pc mac is passé..

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    PC is always the way to go especially with this game. With that being said the console versions are no slouches either and if you like to have the portability of this game on the go then obviously iPad is the way to go! In regard to just stationary platforms I would say get it for PC, if anything for the mods. I myself have double depth on this game and only on several platforms so I'm may be a little partial and biased on this because I love the game so much. I had no qualms buying it repeatedly for the different platforms that it's on and have found it suitable on all platforms despite any concessions and compromises made graphically...

5. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I think there's no way for me to take it down.. I tried a few times hardly able to dent the ship.. Seems I need to let it go.. And council gave me a B I was expecting an A!!!!

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Mm-hmm, you can ace every ground mission you go on, but the moment you start letting UFOs go, your rating will drop quite severely. If you let a mere three go, you'll get a C, even if you do everything else perfectly that month, so you really need to focus on researching better tech.

7. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    decided to buy it for ios today
    will buy it again on steam when i upgrade to a gaming desktop but in the meantime i can play it on ipad
    any word on when./if multi player is going to be available?
    having never played multi player on ipad, how does it work>? directly through game centre?

8. Gchriswill

Gchriswill New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Mobile Designer/Developer
    Fl, USA
    Is there's a multyplayer mode on this game?

9. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Not in the current version, but they will be adding multiplayer via an update.

10. Gchriswill

Gchriswill New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Mobile Designer/Developer
    Fl, USA
    Thanks for the info!

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Hi, I'm in a slight dilemma. This game will be a free download for playstation+ subscribers, along with other titles. So I'm not sure if I should get the iOS version. Or get the console version (full game) for free, and make use of my PS+ subscription. Hmmmm

12. JayTay

JayTay Active Member

Jan 25, 2013
    If you're a PS+ subscriber then I'd get it for the PS3 first. If you really like it and want to play it on the move then get the iOS one. Easy! :)

13. angryassdrummer

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    i did the same thing today
    downloaded it for ps+ but also for ios as having it to play while camping or on long road trips is too good to pass up:cool:

14. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    This.

15. paul_a

paul_a Member

May 30, 2013
  16. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I hope 2K Games will make other games for iOS. XCOM is by far the best.
    OFF: I wrote linguistically correct, Professor?

17. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    If this goes multiplayer and it will.. What are we getting? Co-op or a chance to play either side? I know it's far-fetched to play as alien but has this been done on other platforms?

18. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Civilisation was awesome too when it launched.. I mean at that point in time.. Conquering the world on the go... Roarrrr!!!

19. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I wish fallout and jagged alliance get ported over... The other 2 games I really love playing

20. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ooooh, the first two Fallouts would be awesome for on the go! Even Tactics would be kinda awesome... And a resounding hell yes to a JA port!