Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    #821 Derprozess, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Post deleted.

2. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Wow you finished it fast.. btw spelling and grammar mistakes mostly corrected for you.

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    For the iPad 2, iPad mini and iPhone 4S users, they're working on a patch to hopefully fix it.

Link for more info

4. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    That's great, but I don't think I'm going to stop playing long enough to wait for the patch. I'm crashing every 30 minutes or so on my mini, which wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take so long to get back into the game. I'm liking the game so much that I'm willing to deal with it though apparently.

5. Nimguy

Nimguy New Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Sorry if this has been mentioned already in the thread, but it's 80 something pages, so eh.

So on the app store it says how it is compatible with ipod touch 4th generations, but in the actual description it says it needs a 5th gen ipod to work. So I was wondering whether anyone could say if it actually would work on 4th gen ipods or not.

I'm assuming it won't and all, but if anyone knows differently that would be great, this would be a great game for on the go.

6. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    #826 Derprozess, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Post deleted.

7. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I found this on the official forums:

"There's a trick to skipping most of the minute+ long intro. Next time you hit the XCOM icon and the video shows soldiers rushing past the geoscape, start double tapping the screen - anywhere. If nothing happens, do it again. Few seconds later, if nothing still happens, take two fingers and start quickly tapping them repeatedly like they're little legs running fast across the screen. Keep doing it. About 9 times out of 10 this gets you into the game menu within a total of 23-28 seconds instead of a minute and 28 seconds. At worst, until you get the knack for it, it could take as long as about 40 seconds. It mostly depends on which iOS device you have.

In any case, by using this tactic you'll never have to watch the whole thing again. Try it. It works."

It worked for me.
    At the beginning of the video, I tapped very fast repeatedly with one finger for a couple of seconds, waited 2 seconds, tapped again, and the game bypassed the video.
    Nice!

8. shortandnoisy

shortandnoisy Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    UK
    You know you can skip that video after the loading wheel in the bottom left corner disappears, right?

9. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yes, but that's after over half the video have run, I save 25 seconds on my iPad 3.
    I timed it.. :)

It's very nice to get that much faster into the game, because running most other apps and surfing the web with multiple tabs eats the available RAM, so I mostly have to go through most of the video every time I want to play.

Also, of course, the random crashes, although it doesn't happen that often for me, it does happen, and it's nice to get back into the game quickly.

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Agree. Game start up loading screen is too long. It's the longest I've got on my device. Is that how the pc version loads up? Maybe they just copied that part straight up, when really they should've hacked it down considering this is a mobile game.

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    A simple "skip" button would have sufficed.
    It's a great intro video, and I enjoyed it very much, but after the third time, every video gets old.

12. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I suspect its only there because they are loading loads of crap in the background, and you may find the video dull, but its a lot less dull than a waiting / loading screen

13. Corydon

Corydon Member

Jul 8, 2010
    What a fun game! I suck at it, basically, but I have been enjoying the experience. Chalk me up as another who feels their $20 was well spent.

Two complaints: first, moving the camera angle along the vertical axis can be tricky. I can't always get the camera where I want. Frustrating.

More frustrating: I have a very difficult time getting my dudes to climb up the sides of buildings. They always end up moving through the buildings instead. Grr. The game had a prompt that you can swipe two fingers to hide/reveal buildings, but that often seems not to work. Is there a trick I'm missing?

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    If the two-finger swipe is not working for you, use the up and down arrows (triangles) at the left of the screen to move up and down between height levels.

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'm pretty sure it is swipe two fingers up or two down. The thing to do is just check carefully either the area of their possible movement region (yellow), or the line of their potential movement once you select a tile. Both should show a pathway up the side of the building/bus or whatever. I guess just practice being patient with movement and observing the path of the soldiers movement before pressing "move".
    But generally, yeh that two finger swipe doesn't seem to always register, and the camera rotation....well, I still feel unconfident with it

16. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You don't have to use gestures. Use the up and down triangles at the left of the screen to toggle between heights, and the clockwise and anticlockwise arrows to rotate the camera view.

17. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Wouldn't this mean that the game was not able to load everything it wanted to load though? Could be asking for more problems during actual gameplay...

18. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Right before my 3rd council meeting a large UFO descended to earth.. How the hell am I supposed to take it down.. Two of my fighter jets got vaporised.. Any tips

19. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Apparently not, as I wrote before, tapping repeatedly, pause, tap again will lead you straight to the main screen where you select your game.

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Nope, it's just a video. You're taken directly to the main screen afterwards, and everything works fine.