Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Yup or was that just the steam release??

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Alternatively, keep in mind your $20 could also go toward saving lives in many third world countries, or supporting any number of worthwhile causes in your own part of the world.

Just thought it might be worth stepping back for a broader perspective, if we are going to deviate from the path of evaluating a straight forward value for money entertainment experience, into the realms of charity and crusading.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #63 Vovin, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    I know what you all are saying. Yet, we're a tiny minority on the Appstore. I doubt that tenthousands of casual gamer are taking the plunge at 20 bucks, sadly.

But Exact-Psience is right. Everyone's always demanding AAA tiles and moaning that there isn't enough premium stuff... but when a game like this comes to iOS for a reasonable price, some people suddenly retreat from their former statements.

4. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Whatever a buckhole is, I'm going to presume a variation 'but' hole (trying to avoid the cussing filter), it doesn't prove anything of the sort.

All that can be proved by the content of this thread thus far is that of the contributors so far many of them are fine with the price, many are excited about the game arriving on iOS, and a few have a real problem with some aspect of it or another (which is entirely their prerogative).

Further, opinions have been given in a variety of tones, some pleasant and some less so. For an internet forum it's been pretty cheerful so far actually.

How you're able to use the contents of this thread and determine that the overwhelming majority of the population of the entire planet that consider themselves gamers that use iOS devices are in fact 'buckholes', I have absolutely no idea.

:D

5. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    I'm with you all the way - but you might wanna tweak it a bit coz this new XCOM originally came out last year. ;)

6. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I'll wait for some play through vids but I'm intrigued. And happy when premium non-freemium games come to iOS.

7. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    You can still lose the game by losing countries. In fact there is a more visual indicator with the threat level indicator and when you lose a country or that country backs out of supporting XCOM, you will lose all satellites in that area and there is no way to gain that country back. You can lose countries in several ways; By not supporting them when they ask for help, by not addressing sightings when they occur, and by not laying adequate protection over them to defend against threats.

The gameplay mechanics have been refined and work similarly to the old games, just with a more snazzy visual appeal and just gave better look all around. The noticeable difference in gameplay mechanics is that in this XCOM you can only have one base and you can only have one dropship to assess threats. This is not necessarily a knock towards the game however, because your hands will be full with managing just that one base and having only one away team to assess land based threats actually makes the game more challenging because you are faced with many situations in which you have to pick and choose threat to assess and which thread to sacrifice to the game. This leads to a game balance where you can't cover all areas and all threats and are forced to make decisions as to what is the higher priority as any threat left unaddressed raises the threat level in its area.

This game makes it much more present that you have to pick between hard choices and any answer has its evident pros and cons.

The only con I can think is that I may remember there being a few more options available to soldiers in the way of weapons and gear, but there is an adequate amount here. That your soldiers have classes and perk trees is a plus though.

8. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    Nope it definitely came out last year :)

9. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    trust me. It's a bit silly

10. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

100% came out last year, I was a big follower in the forums for that game. Couldn't get enough prerelease info on it. Then it came out and I lost a couple of weeks of my life.

It is a top game but I found it to be relatively short compared to the originals, that said, it's still a long game at 35+ hours a game without the second wave features like marathon or without playing on classic ironman mode lol

11. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Eagerly awaiting impressions on how this runs on an iPad Mini... the make or break decision for me!

12. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ditto. As a huge Xcom fan that followed its development as well as the other game still in development.

And actually the option to play on ironman mode is there (console) if you were implying that you didn't see the option! No in mission save between moves, harder and more enemies, bring it!

13. Coflash

Coflash New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Does anyone know when it's out on the AU store?

14. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Anyone have ipad 2 footage?

15. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

The textures/lightning are a bit underwhelming but that's more a limitation of the engine (and the devices to some extent).

16. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #77 Rip73, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    Oops :) my bad.
    Must review posts before hitting that post button in future. :)
    Sorry for mix up.

17. THFourteen

THFourteen Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Hmmm the below from the pocket gamer review doesnt sound great.

There are a few glitches (try and position a camera inside a building without a few swear words), and a long loading screen at the start.

The touch commands can be a pain. Try zooming out and you'll more likely spin the viewpoint by 90 degrees or set your cursor to a higher elevation. And zoom - accomplished by a classic iOS pinch - is the only function without a button alternative.

18. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    3 a.m. Melb/Syd time.

19. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member