Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Finally broke out and bought it yesterday for my iPhone 4s. Played through tutorial last night. Really liking it. No real issue with performance. Runs smoothly and I haven't experienced any crashes. My big problem is the text size. I had read it was an issue but did really didn't think it would be as bad as it is. It is almost impossible to read the text on the loading screens for each mission. It is compensated somewhat by the fact that the voice over gives you mission details but I am finding it very hard to read the tips that are provided along with mission information. These tips would be useful to me because I have played the game before. In Mission Control the text is slightly easier to read but it's still a strain on the eyes.

Apart from that I am liking what I have seen do far and I am looking forward to really getting stuck into any time I can escape form the wife and 3 kids :)

2. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    My only pet peeve with the game is that (as far as I can tell) you need to start/resume a game before you can load from iCloud - just means there's an extra 30 seconds before I can get started. Am I missing a way of loading a game from the main menu screen?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    9th heavy class soldier. Aargh.

4. razvanrazy

razvanrazy Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Guys, is there anybody here that can play this on iPad 2 ? In the AppStore says that it's compatible with iPad2, but i can't even play it. I think it's because the only 512 Mb RAM and the game keeps crashing at loading screens and sometimes in missions.

5. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    What's your firmware and did u JB

6. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Is that the plasma rifle? Man this rocks

7. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    If you bothered to read the thread, plenty of people are playing okay.

8. razvanrazy

razvanrazy Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    #768 razvanrazy, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    I'm on 6.1.2 and yes, i have Jailbreak. This is the only reason why i'm still able to "kinda" play, as before every loading screen i manually close (from sbsettings) all the processes and free the RAM memory.
    The game isn't pirated or something like that, so this can be excluded...

Btw tarasis, i've read some of the pages, but i can't read all 78 pages for this.

Is there anybody with an iPad2 that really plays this ok, without any crashes and other issues ?

If Jailbreak is an issue, i will get rid of it...

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Still... jailbreaking isnt something devs or apple supports, so if it works on non-jailbroken device, and doesnt on yours, they still wont be able to help you much.

Devs might make considerations, but a large dev group like 2K is unlikely to do so.

That said, weird thing is, it works on my bestfriend's jailbroken ipad mini fine. And works pretty good on my non-jailbroken mini as well.

10. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, that's the Heavy Plasma rifle.

11. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Maybe jail breaking eats up some of the 512 memory u have

12. err404

err404 Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Instead of selecting "Resume Game", select "Single Player". From there select your profile and you will be able to load your iCloud save. I know it's not the most intuitive UI, but it works.

13. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Why is it that even though I heal soldiers using the medikit in battles (even fully healed) they still spend time on the medical bay once they return as if they were not healed at all by the medikit?

14. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    They're only patching the soldier up as best as they can, so the soldier survives.
    They're not performing full on operations in the middle of the battlefield.

They don't in real life either, you know... :)
    Once they're home at the base, they'll dig the bullets out of you.
    Until then, they're mostly just stopping the bleeding and dose you with painkillers..

15. jamesmcadams82

Sep 4, 2012
    Aha! Thanks! That wouldn’t have occured to me. I think it would have made more sense to put loading under resume game (I thought choosing the slot in use under single player would write over my saved game), but still, that's my only niggle dealt with.

I adore this game - and that barely ever happens with strategy games.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^er... I always thought "Resume Game" meant to load your latest save file. That goes for other titles too. o_O

17. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Some people might say the same about Jubeat fans...

18. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Yes it does.. But the autosave will always be the last one unless u turn it off..

19. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I read that all, yet I have no attention span whatsoever.

20. jamesmcadams82

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree, but this doesn't automatically sync your game, so resuming doesn't resume your most recent save here - merely the most recent one on the device. I think that if you don't have a button that says 'load game', and you want to resume your saved game, it would make more sense to tap 'resume' than the button you used to start your game in the first place.

Obviously the developers agree with you, and it's hardly worth scrapping over. Just confused me.