Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Maybe in his personal life he was a pre-op transgender and used the hazard pay bonus from the sky ranger mission to finish the procedure? I don't know, make up a story!

Seriously though, it is probably just a case of what the previous poster said about you not noticing a soldier being wounded and it automatically swapping a new one in...

2. ghostspectre43

ghostspectre43 Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    my location
    That could be it, I wasn't paying total attention to the game. Thanks for the clarification.

3. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    No prob mate!

4. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    I have to chime in. This game was an insta-buy for me. It runs really smooth on my iPad 4. I did follow someone's earlier suggestion on turning off "notifications" and such. (Sorry, thread has gotten pretty long to go back and find the persons name. Regardless, thanks.). I never played any previous Xcom version, but this is easily the best IOS game available. A quality game like this was worth the cost. I just wish there were more AAA titles like this out there instead of all the Freemium crap.

5. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    ha ha ha ha

6. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I doubt the effectiveness of med packs when the slot can be equipped with better utilities.. Well unless u playing iron man mode.. Never use it.. Just save and reload.. Grin

7. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd disagree especially later on when missions can go to crap... Plus if you spec your support/medic soldier right you can get an extra slot allowing you four heals or two stabilizations. There are encounters later on that will get units taken down no matter how sound your tactics are or how many times you reload! You'd be replaying large portions over and over; besides, everything going fine in one room can go to crap in another if you save entering in the wrong tactical entrance.

On a tangent: keep in mind that giving those support units the extended move works wonders for the evacuation stages where you have to get civilians out of an invasion area. Their double movement rate coupled with some (valkerie?) flight armor works wonders with a combat medic, getting them in and out quick!

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #748 LordGek, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Whoa, so does the iOS version have various difficulty levels and track top campaign scores?

Is any of the "Second Wave" mod stuff in the iOS version?

9. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Hmmm..I didn't know you can have extra slot for med packs.. It always the same slot as the arc thrower.. Maybe I should invest some abilities in it.. Been skipping..

Btw how far are you in the game? Pretty cool armours you have.

10. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #750 Bool Zero, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Speaking from experience from playing and beating the PC and console (360) version though I am getting close to my flight armor on my iPad game!

In any case at Sergeant (Support) you can get Field Medic which adds one more heal per med kit and then when you reach Major you can take Deep Pockets which adds a third slot for accessories (grenades, armor plating, capture thingy, meds its, scope, etc). This allows you at max two of the same accessories so two medkits doing two to three heals each (4-6 heals plus two stabilizes)... Just FYI!

What's cool is that despite the limited amount of abilities choices, you will find that every person has their different take on how a class fills a role... And it makes it tough as all the abilities have their usefulness!

11. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Wow this is terrific.. I didn't know about the deep pockets.. Thanks a lot for the info

12. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing and find I'm wasting a lot of time replaying missions. That's why I want tu use med packs!

13. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Total newbie and loving this on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 with no crashes and iCloud working perfectly! Two questions:

1) can I change the order of my squad mates command per turn or does it always use the same order?

2) what is the best resource guide for this game? I'm still finding my way around the game and am still a bit confused about what resources I should explore and what weapons other other items I should focus on etc...

14. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    For 1) I think it's based on the position u select at the mission control.. From left to right.. But anyway u can click any soldier to select them..
    For 2) I think I am just progress and learn

15. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    It's the Archangel armour that has flight capabilities. I use this for most of my top soldiers. Not so much for the ability to fly, just because it looks cool. :)

[​IMG]

16. jeStR65

jeStR65 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2012
    >_< haven't had any issues with this game till today I ungraded to ios7 beta2 now when I try to load my game it just loads then back to springboard :( any one else having this problem?! I'm so bummed got pretty far and don't want to go back to ios7-1 cause it did have a few bugs and it seems much better but I can't live wiff out xcom I'm hooked and need my fix :'( "sniffle"

17. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    If you want to be sure all games and apps will work on your device, I wouldn't install a beta iOS under any circumstances.
    No current game or app is optimized fr iOS 7 yet, as far as I know.

The final iOS 7 is still a long way off, and devs haven't had much time making sure there games and apps work on it, and on top of that, the iOS is still a work in progress, so it must be hard for them to make sure anything will work for sure.

18. jeStR65

Nov 18, 2012
    Totally understand I just figured ios7 didn't give me any problems with xcom and low and behold it's my fav/game/app and now it doesn't work >_< FML! Lol thanks think ill switch back to the first ios7 lol

19. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Lol that's silly... How do you expect the game to run on a firmware that's not even released to public until recently... Can you downgrade?

20. jeStR65

Nov 18, 2012
    Well the first beta worked just fine with no flaws what's do ever surprisingly since some people were experiencing bugs or crashes I never did...
    And correction the game still runs besutifl now that I started a new game I think what the problem was...was trying to just load my old saved data...maybe cause it was saved when I had te first beta but I'm over it lol started a new game and I'm back to saving the world hahaa yAy yAaaaaaay!! :D