Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I can't wait till Apple allows Apps on Apple TV. That will put anend to all battery draining woes once and for all...

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    As has been stated more than once, iPad 2 & iPad mini are identical under the hood in every way, same RAM, same CPU, same GPU, same pixel pushing demand, etc., so any stability differences between the two come down to the differences in configuration and maintenance.

Ask yourself the usual roster of questions you should be asking yourself of every iDevice: how much free space do I have, how long since a full restore, have I made sure to kill any other tasks, are there so many apps on this device that the springboard is occupying too much memory, how long since I rebooted, etc., etc..

3. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    #723 amusing Grace, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    I have zero complaints and just one crash so far on a non-jailbroken iPad 2.
    I do reboots once a day and try to remember to close apps in the multitasking tray though.
    Other than that my iPad is filled to the brim (1.5GB available and several hundreds of apps), never did a restore from backup, either.

Hope that helps others to make a decision and balances the repeated complaints of a selected few

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Well first they need to add or allow HDD's to Apple TV first before that happens. As it stands my Appe TV 3 only has enough space o buffer a movie and that bout it. I do agree though, they really need to allow for app downloading (at the very least for other video streaming apps like Vudu and such) or at least some kind of considerable progression forward for the device!

Until then there is always AirPlay and a closeby power socket!

5. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Excited ill be getting this sooner than I thought, just got a belated birthday present which was a 25€ itunes gift card.

I'd have bought Baldur's as well, but that's AWOL ATM.

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I am playing this on a Mini and it is working like a dream. One tiny issue so far when I went to the Sit room and the countries screen didn't show up, but that was quickly resolved. I think I double tapped or something to bring it back to the base overview, then went right back to the Sit room and it was fine.

7. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Just for the record, I've had 1 crash on my jailbroken and heavily tweaked 4S in 90 mins of play-time, no crashes on my unjailbroken ipad 3 in 30-ish hours play.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    When I play tonight I'll try rebooting and then playing it immediately. Hopefully this isn't a requirement, but I'll give it a shot.

9. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Finally got around to play this, it was sitting unopened since friday while I played the ps3 version all the weekend, now on my first relaxed hours at work I finally get the chance to see this running on ios.

So far ive played the tutorial and one mission, and yes, the textures are very scaled down and the visuals in general look much better on the ps3 ( and they look much much better on the pc) but this game is excellent really and its without shadow of a doubt on my top 5 games on ios just because of the fact that runs smoothly ( on my 64gb ipad 4) and its a way more portable form of an awesome AAA experience which im still enjoying in its original form.

I havent installed on my phone as its a 4s but as soon as I change it for whatever the new iphone is im gonna be a very happy camper having this on my pocket at all times. Its an excellent port, at least on the hardware ive tried it on, and while its scaled down I think it still has all the things that make it an awesome experience on pc and consoles.

The only thing I ask is the inclusion of second wave options, even as an iap I would get it as it breathes tons of life to this game, really miss the chance of having my soldiers "born" with different stats which sometimes nets interesting results like on my current walkthrough on ps3 on which one of my heavies has sniper-like accuracy.

10. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    #730 Ghostz, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    I finally bought this for my 4s and have been having a blast!
    I've never played Xcom before, but it's much better than what I was expecting.
    I've been giving all of my team members personalities in my head and getting really engrossed in it. But my god, te f@%ing killed Jimmy! They killed him!!!!

I've only had one crash happen during the tutorial last night, but after I rebooted the app it hasn't crashed since. Frame rate is alright. It stuffers here and there but not to such a degree that it's stopping me from playing and enjoying the gameplay. It runs rather smoothly at most times though, but I wouldn't say remarkably well. Sometimes it stalls and and jumps when I try to access different rooms at the base. I've had a bit of trouble with the camera. It just doesn't respond all the time, and I end up having to use the buttons when it won't budge. Overall I'm very happy with it, and I'm glad I took the plunge. I'm sure on other devices it's glorious, but on 4s it's still a great, playable game.

Now excuse as I get back to exacting my revenge on the b@st@rds who KILLED JIMMY.

Good day!

11. LearnIIBurn

LearnIIBurn Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Having lots of fun playing this on my iP5. Have not played it for PC or the consoles at all, so it's all new to me.

The only thing I've really struggled with so far is the camera rotation gesture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it pans the camera at a very slow speed. Very small problem for the game pretty much releasing stable and good to play!

Game is challenging for me too. Figuring out how important certain things are is brutal in your first plays. Satellites are everything. Then I forgot to capture a live alien and the game is so hard because I waited to long.

Love it!

12. ghostspectre43

ghostspectre43 Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    my location
    Picked this up on my iPad 3 today, did a hard reboot before playing and it seems to be running fine so far. zero crashes or stuttering. Loving the game.

13. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Can someone please tell me how to equip med packs and other items that I've selected for manufacturing? Is a Foundry building required or something?

14. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    In the squadscreen before the mission, tap EDIT under the soldier, then tap FRAG GRENADE or whatever you have at the bottom and then select the Med Pack

15. somedumbgamer

May 4, 2013
    Thanks so much! I'll check it out tonight.

16. somedumbgamer

May 4, 2013
    I've been playing for several days on ipad3 and have not had any issues either.

17. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    After 3 hours play on a 4s the game crashed and exited. I lost a few days of base progress BUT the mission I have just assigned was still showing as pending! Not a major bug but still a bug. Amazing game, well worth the price!

18. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #738 Brrobotix, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    I haven't had any serious issues either, but there is some slowdown and frame skips here and there. I guess this is what happens when you run a full console game on an iOS device.

Just be warned that it won't run in the background if you need to check Facebook or twitter.

19. ghostspectre43

ghostspectre43 Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    my location
    #739 ghostspectre43, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Had one of my male soldiers become a female upon first promotion.... I didn't think the random element of getting classes was that random. Just a minor problem
    UPDATE: well, it looks like I wasnt paying enough attention to the game, not surprisingly, one of my soldiers was wounded so it put in another soldier. Lol

20. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I am not sure if this your situation but when a soldier get wounded for the next battle and until the days need it for healing a new member comes to your team. Check down on the soldiers list if your male soldier is still there but wounded.