Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    Have you heard of "aliens versus humans"?

It a pretty good retro xcom clone on ios.

2. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I am merely stating a reference to a game analysts comment...Further more the classic Xcom was rather a cult hit and not a blockbuster..Though I don't mean it's not very good.I have no idea what so ever as I never played them.

We have different opinions on the matter I stick with mine and you have your own..Im moving on..

3. zzandreezz

zzandreezz Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    USA
    Anyone know how to manage the panic level ? I keep having countries removed from my board in the situational room.

4. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    #684 phandaal, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    I'm glad you play on the toilet. That's awesome.

This Xcom remake is a shitty game. Most "reviews" are talking out their asses. Any true strategy gamer was waiting for the PC release with high hopes, only to have them shattered. The only thing that make the PC version in any way playable beyond one disheartening playthrough is the community mods, which of course you won't have access to on the iOS.

As for the price, it is totally unjustified. This is a port of existing assets. It shouldn't cost more than the original, more feature-complete product now does. That's just nuts.

5. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Your pithy one-line, throwaway post has totally changed my opinion on this topic, and I completely withdraw my previous statements.

Said no one, ever.

6. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I got past the tutorial crash just simply by starting a new game and skipping it. I'm trying to enjoy the game but it randomly crashes every 30 min or so..

I'm playing on a non jailbroken 64 gig iPod touch 5th gen with 10 free gigs, all other apps closed, push notifications disabled, system rebooted, Internet turned off, everything else turned off.

The game itself seems very enjoyable but saying the game runs fine on a device that it clearly isn't for me is almost a dealbreaker at 20$. Unfortunately there's no way I can get back my money, but if I knew it would be like this I wouldn't have bought it. I hope they can patch these crashes in an update so I can actually play the game without interruption.

7. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012

Weird, runs perfectly fine for me (IPod 5, 32gb), no crashes, one freeze from hitting the sleep button a couple times, and I'm at least a few hours in...

8. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Attention Toucharcade reviewers and all other game reviewers: You might as well shut down your websites and go home. No, no, no - phandaal has spoken. Obviously he knows The Truth(tm) so pointing out the myriad of stellar reviews is futile. All your base belong to him.

Or we could ignore his rantings and move on...

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Guys, chill. Talk more about the game and less about the off-topic stuff please. We've already had time-outs for derailing the thread.

10. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes, have had it for quite some time and it is an app that maintains a permenant fixture on my iPad!

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Touch Arcade forum's Game Of the Week Poll - June 20 2013

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

X-com: Enemy Unknown was nominated as a candidate for Touch Arcade forum's Game of the Week. Final voting is occurring over the next 3 days here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=193796

12. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    You can not fill the requests but know that if you do skip them too much as it affects your council rating, but other than that I don't believe there is a negative impact to not feeling requests.

13. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    I believe the best way to manage the panic level is by having good satellite coverage and intercepters stationed at the countries that seem most distressed.

You'll need to have the proper facilities for supporting these extra satellites, of course....

Never ignore a alien attack of any kind.

Also by successfully completing missions in the country under attack will usually reduce panic by at least one point

14. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012

Voted ;)

15. chrisjmtoscano

Jun 24, 2013
    Out of total curiosity , what are the odds that this will go on sale? part of me thinks it never will (at least not for a year) another part of me thinks its just gonna be another typical ios game that goes on sale in a month as soon as sales decline (which they will soon for a 20 buck game)

16. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I think it'll follow the life cycle of any console game. Initially it'll stick to this price for 6mo and then it'll get marked down or have regular sales. It'll tap that market out and then eventually hit some really low price. By ios sales standards most ports go on sale. Even FFT went on sale a the end of last year.

17. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I hope so. It's doing quite well right now and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. I truly am in love with this game, I care about what my people and I'm invested in the world.

I've never been happier in a purchase.

18. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Does the ios version contain the dlc from console versions?

19. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Why am I not surprised that this is the #1 game on QI for iPhone and iPad..

20. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    No, it's supposed to come out later.

I'm curious, how many of you that bought this Xcom port already have "Aliens Versus Humans" on your ios device?