Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I've never put anyone's words into my sig here.

I think that's about to change ;)

As for how the game runs on a jailbroken device, I just gave one mission a go on my iPhone 5. It's jailbroken, running Auxo, Lockinfo and a few other minor tweaks. No winter board. Based on this, other than the almost unreadable text (in text boxes, other text is okay) it ran perfectly. I had as much fun as playing on my iPad.

So... There's that.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Hm... looks like that I, as a mixture of German and Scottish origin, am very compatible to people from the Philippines. Like you, Exact-Psience... :D

3. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Thinking about picking this up. I had the xbox version but lost intrest and ended up selling it. I think I'll like this a lot more because of portability, from what I've read it looks like it'll run fine on my iPad Mini and iPhone 5. I'm also going on vacation later next month so this will get me through the plane ride.

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Good to hear it runs fine on a jailbroken iPhone 5.
    The comments regarding issues with jailbroken devices have been from people running on an iPad 2 which is the weakest device able to actually run the game on a clean iOS.

5. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Looking at the memory counter, it takes around 300 mb of RAM to run the game. My iPad 2 isn't jailbroken now so I can't confirm available ram, unfortunately... Although arent there apps for that? I forget, one was mentioned here methinks.

But yeah, 300 megs. Make sure you reboot, or else clear EVERYTHING.

6. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    im playing on a jailed ipad2...runs fine and when playing both my tweaks tell me i have about 123-128 mb left to play with....but thats after a reboot and cleaning with battery doctor pro..( the cydia version). good luck bro

7. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    It's all well and good bringing hard core pc/console games to ios but if they struggle with frame rate, cut down graphics and reduced game size then I really don't see the point tbh. A dedicated ios game for 69p $ can look and play far better in my opinion.

That opinion is based on 30 years as a gamer, feel free to agree or disagree :)

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    How is that even an "opinion"? That's just trolling as you're clearly not speaking from any experience with the iOS port. When you have played the iOS port and can offer me any $1 game that you feel looks and plays better, then you'll actually have an opinion that merits us mulling it over.

I have over 1000 apps on my iTunes account, and this "graphically cut down and frame rate challenged, really shouldn't have bothered tbh according to the great and mighty GaZ-Oid" game is magnitudes better than just about any of them taken in total, and that's going up against some pretty heavy weight like Foursaken's masterpieces (and there's certainly nothing I only paid $1 for that is even in the same planetary orbit).

The crazy thing is that this isn't the most expensive game I've played on iOS when IAP expansions and such are taken into account, but it's just that far ahead of anything else.

9. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Why do I feel like its going to be uncool to say that this the best game you can play on your ios device? I really think it is though. I had some serious crashing issues earlier today, those seem to have cleared up as I haven't had a crash in hours now.

10. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    A console port is never as good as the PC original and an ios port is not going to be as good as the console original, it's the nature of the beast.

Dedicated ios games built from the ground up are going to look and feel better today until the day comes when ios devices match the power of the machine they are trying to match.

I'm not trolling, I'm saying it as I see it. Nothing more and nothing less

11. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    It's a great game but I have to agree. Think of all the ios games you've played, none have been even close to 20 bucks. This isn't the best gave I've played but its enjoyable. Would I play this if mw5 was out now , no

12. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    GaZ - play it and then comment
    Until then it is trolling, no matter how often you say it isn't

13. gladius_rex

gladius_rex Member

Oct 9, 2011
    I tried the game on my iPad Mini. Had a crash even before completing the tutorial. Did a hard reboot, cleaned up my push notifications, reloaded. Still getting fps of 20 or below. After 3 more crashes, I gave up. For an app retailing at such a high price, and one that is being heavily promoted by Apple, this is a clumsy, clumsy port.

14. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #674 soup, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Jesus am i the only one bored mindless with this thread, 90% of the people here are having no problems with the game. Some are, its a shame, complain to apple.
    30% of this thread is people complaining about the price, er....no-one is forcing you to buy the game, or did i miss something? If you think the price is too high, then dont buy it....full stop. Why even post here to say that? I think starbucks is too expensive, i dont go to their forum to post that, i just dont go to starbucks.

Am i missing something here?

Ps its running fine on my ipad2 and yes i'm enjoying it, not having played it before

15. gladius_rex

gladius_rex Member

Oct 9, 2011
    It's fairly simple - when you pay this price for a high profile iOS app, you expect a certain level of quality. The Toucharcade review says "Enemy Unknown is a winner both mechanically and technically", and doesn't mention anything about crashes or poor framerate. It's important for potential buyers to know that the game is currently far from smooth or even stable.

16. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I just had to comment... You do know that Xcom (the first cane out in 94') as a series is older than Final Fantasy Tactics and a vast majority of the groundwork here is actually pretty much straight from the original games, right? I wouldn't say that it took a decade for a game to come out and match FFT (97') brilliance, but rather it took almost two decades for XCom Enemy Unknown to reboot its own glory! Both are great games, I agree, but lets get it straight... Xcom came out first and had four great main series games to boot!

17. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #677 Bytebrain, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    This game isn't without issues, but many people commenting on this thread have played the game successfully on both iPad mini and iPad 2.

There's an excellent guide, some pages back given advice to people experiencing chrashes on older hardware.

You don't mention whether you're jailbroken or not, but if you are, there's your problem.
    Some have made it work on an older jailbroken device, but it heavily depends on how many services, tweaks and apps running in the background.
    Especially on older hardware with very little ram.

Low FPS may be a problem on an iPad mini and iPad 2, but fortunately it shouldn't matter much in a game like this.
    Very frequent crashes, on the other hand, matter.

I've played almost nonstop since release day on an iPad 3 and have had 3 crashes in countless hours.
    That's acceptable for me, as I know that some apps doesn't release memory when the iOS ask for it, and this game wants it all.

18. gladius_rex

gladius_rex Member

Oct 9, 2011
    My device isn't jailbroken, it's an iPad Mini purchased earlier this year. And as I mentioned, I cleaned up my unnecessary push notifications, as well as playing the game directly after a hard reboot to clear memory. No other apps were running in the background AND I was playing on flight mode, so nothing was updating or downloading in the background.

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #679 Bool Zero, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    I think the issues are limited to lower end devices which may be why the reviewers missed or did not experience them, to be fair! I don't think anyone expects reviewers to run these games on every available spec of hardware to report the varying differences. As it stands, it seems that mostly the lower end devices are the ones with issues. From all intents and purposes the game probably did run as a "winner both mechanically and technically" for them depending on the device they used to review it!

And before it is said that the iPad mini is a new device, technically it is a smaller iPad 2 spec-wise. A shite design choice by Apple I will readily admit, but truth is truth...

20. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Guys do u people fulfil the request for alloys? Is there any repercussion in giving out? Those alloys are hard to come by