Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You must be trolling, or maybe you were just making a joke!

andsoitgoes review was spot on, we'll articulated and a great read.

He wrote a great review, and I really hope it'll sell we'll.

I've been playing this nonstop, even when I really ought to do other stuff, like eat, sleep, work and go shopping..
    I still do remember to take a shower now and then, which is a relieve to my surroundings... :)

I'm really not good at, or really into strategy games like Command & Conquer and it's ilk, but tactical games like this I love, and XCom stand head and shoulders above anything in the genre I've played so far. Ever.

When I think about the hundreds of games I've bought on the AppStore and compare the depth, replay ability and just general fun to most games written directly to iOS, they really do pale in comparison, and that's why the price for this game is more than just fair, I think it's generous!

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Cheers for the imps andsoitgoes. The longer I have Xcom on the go the more I think it feels better mobile then on my Xbox.

Hope everyone is Ironsighting like a boss

3. THFourteen

THFourteen Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I'm waiting for at least one if not two patches to sort out the crashes before I pay money for this.

I know that it would annoy me if I had to play it now.

Plus I don't want to restart my device every time I want to play, that's ridiculous.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yup same thing happened to me too. Even the reboot didn't help. I dunno maybe it's because my device is jailbroken so a lot of the memory might be gone? I have no idea since some ipt5s seem to work fine with this game.

5. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've had one crash in more than 15 hours of play, so it's not a huge problem.
    You don't have to reboot your device every time you play the game, just the first time, and then maybe once in a while every few hours.

I only rebooted before playing the game for the first time, which is a good idea with every game that uses a lot of resources.

If your idevice is reasonably current you shouldn't have any issues.

6. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I was loving this, but it's now crashing every 20 minutes on my iPad mini. It's the only app in my tray and I've restarted the device a few times. Not as happy about this as I was.

7. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    If your device is jailbroken, then that's most likely your issue, yes.
    A lot of apps and tweaks commonly used by jail breakers uses quite a lot of ram and resources, as they run all the time, which is not a good idea to have if you want to play games that pushes your device to the limit.

Especially visual tweaks like winterboard and the likes uses a lot of ram in the background.
    That's why I went back to stuck iOS. I haven't missed it one bit.

8. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Well, I bought this for my 4s without any regrets. It doesn't run perfectly, but after a reboot it is perfectly playable. But if I'm being completely honest with myself, I would have been much happier with my purchase if I had waited for a sale. Only because of the imperfections inherit to my hardware. It is still a brilliant game, even on a 4s.

9. THFourteen

THFourteen Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I appreciate you've had good experiences, but the feedback is so mixed. If you look at the post just below yours, someone with a mini (same as me) has crashes every 20mins.

I'm sure they will fix a lot of these problems with patches, so I'm happy to wait. I already have the steam version anyway!

10. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Why is everyone making such a big fuss over 20 bucks for such an awesome game.. Really beyond me.. Everyday I see people moaning over this issue.. It's only 20 bucks.. Wtf

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    That's fine, of course, but if you read this, (very long), thread you'll see the majority of iPad mini and iPad 2 users don't have major issues at all.
    That's why I wrote that if a device is jailbroken, demanding games will have issues, and I suspect the majority of people with recurring crashes have a jailbroken device.

If the developer had to make the game work on jailbroken devices, we would never have had this and many other ports of great games.
    This game will only run good if no other tweaks and apps run in the background.

No patch will make the game run fine on a jailbroken device.

12. Txeme

Txeme New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    AI errors?

Am I the only who noticed some AI stupid errors that dont happens on PC version? :confused:

Different AI algoritm?

13. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    im jailbroken and i haven't had a crash yet. put in quite a few hours too now.
    ipad 3. most people who have issues aren't probably doing a hard reset or have a bunch of apps in background.

14. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    When I read so many posts about crashes reboots poor AI glitches dumbed down graphics less maps I have to ask myself is this really worth getting? I really don't think so at £13.99 $19.99 I will wait to see what updates come out and what they actually do to address my concerns

15. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well to me it's pretty simple..What does the majority say??What does the ratings,reviews,sales tell you??hell you can even check QI right now..

If there is one profound truth in life that history told us,and that is numbers do not lie...

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Nah. Read closely. Think.

Some people desperately look for excuses not to buy it now.
    They just don't realize that no justification is needed.

17. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well you may have a point there..;)

Cheers..hehe

18. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK

If I'm going to pay a premium price for a premium game I want premium performance, not worrying as the game downloads as to what performance I will get.

Numbers don't lie in terms of sales but what numbers do you have on frustrated players who are bugged (pun intended) by their performance
    and experience of the game?

19. Jaylewl

Jaylewl Member

May 17, 2013
    Any reviews on ipad 3?

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well, I've been following this thread from the beginning, and the vast majority have zero issues baring the odd crash.

There's a few with problems, a number of those is running jailbreak on an older device, which is a recipe for disaster.

If you have a current I device, it'll run just fine, and most report good performance even on iPad mini and iPad 2 after a reboot.

A lot of people here are complaining without owning the game and are focusing on a select few people having issues, again most with jailbroken devices.