Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Definitely, although it came prove a difficult route getting them earlier on in the game! The key is finding a fiscal spending and research path to get you to that point quickly and early on, especially in classic and hardcore mode (though it is a benefit in normal mode as well)! Also keep in mind that placement of facilities is key to success as you get bonuses when paired and they do stack, so finding the optimal layout for your base's facilities is essential to making your long term game much more easier!

2. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #582 November's Chopin, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    iOS gamers are really weird these days.
    Crazily large size + crazily high price + mobile device (eg, small capacity and mobility, does that ring a bell?) = awesome?
    Wtf? :rolleyes:

3. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    iPad 2... There you have it...
    Its like a really fat and hideous girl saying " why dont men ever look at me"

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Let's see, it's 3.2GB, smallest device spec'd to run this can handle that if the user cares. Spongebob Moves In is 1.3GB for comparison ;)

If people spend more time playing, finishing, and deleting all the throwaway games they're never going to touch again instead of hoarding them like a deranged squirrel, size is definitely not an issue.

It's $20 for near identical gameplay (some lesser variety on map chunks, ohnoes) for the *same* game that will cost you $40 and just came out last October, so the cost is actually cheap as heck, irrelevant arguments about PSN+ and heavily discounted 3rd party sales of the boxed game aside.

And mobile? Exactly. I'm playing X-F'ing-Com on my couch, in my bed, on the toilet, and when one of my kids needs something in the next room, I can stick it in my pocket. Seems pretty mobile to me.

The crazy part is people like you not understanding how game changing this title is: Someone got an 8 month old AAA PC/Console title playing on tablets, phones, and touches, and they did so in a way that *worked* and, going by the charts so far, is actually going to turn a profit.

It's way past awesome.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry, but I fail to see what's weird about iOS gamers? Your list reads like non-sequiturs.

6. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Wth?!!And one of you favorites is the Phoenix wright game which has all the characteristics you find wierd..LOL!!Good job proving point:p...

7. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I'm also a 4s user, and completely agree with everything you said. I've been playing XCOM for hours now(bought it at release) and have had no crashes just some sluggish gameplay, but it's completely playable on a 4s. In fact the cutscenes look SO good that I have to believe that future updates will smooth out some of the "bumps" of the actual gameplay.

8. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    For people like me, who don't own a console, can't run it on our computers, and rely on our IOS devices for our gaming, having XCOM on IOS is a minor miracle. I wasn't delusional enough to think that it would look EXACTLY like the console/PC version, but it's XCOM in the palm of my hand and it's more then worth buying.

9. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    By comparison, 8 years ago a single new releases DS game cost me $30 to $40. $20 is not a bad deal at all on a current gen AAA console/PC game that retailed for a lot more than that. Granted I could sell off DS games and had something physical to show for the expense. Still most DS games at some point dropped to $20 and I thought that was a good bargain.

Sure I don't want to see all ios games creep up in price, but for this kind of premium title ... It's cool and a huge bargain over past gens.

And that's without considering this will eventually go on sale as they exhaust the market they'll pay full price and they target the market that jumps in on a sale.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. iOS is my main gaming platform. It's easier not to miss a shadow or lip movement or whatever the complaint is when you don't have a system capable of playing it otherwise.

10. RickyBrooke

RickyBrooke Well-Known Member

May 13, 2012
    This game is kicking my butt hard... But I love it!

Worth every penny and easily my Game of the Year so far.

AAA title for any strategy fans - do not hesitate just buy it!

11. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    #591 Brrobotix, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    After initially researching the weapon you find (ex. find an alien with a plasma pistol, research plasma pistols) you can equip and use any weapons that are on the enemies you capture. But you have to research them first, so your scientists can figure out how they work and adapt them to work with humans. This research is a one time thing though, after researching plasma pistols you can equip any intact plasma pistols you find without doing any more research

12. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    100% agree with your point regarding the pricing. Yes, 20 bucks is a lot for an IOS game, but this is not an IOS game, this is AAA game fitted to IOS. And while it's not always a perfect fit, it's still XCOM.

That point aside, the main reason not to complain about pricing is even more basic then that. This game is on the App Store, it's priced over a dollar, and it's not Minecraft, so there WILL be a sale at some point. If you think a game is overpriced, all you have to do is wait. For me, it was worth 20 bucks to have it now and not have to wait.

13. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Ok a couple of questions....1)i had 2 countries russia and australia both at panic level 4. I put a satellite over both on the same turn and 1 went down to panic level 2 but the other did not. Does that only work sometimes, or did i need to deploy only 1 a turn or what? 2) how do you deloy to a country which is panicing....it seems that you have to wait until a incident is given to you from the globe, right? 3)i would be interested in how others form their squads and how they generally deploy them. Out of 60 pages of posts only 1 person have posted on this topic. And lastly my rant for the day......60 pages are enough, lets move on from frame rate, lost maps, no multiplayer, and other general whining and lets start helping each other beat this game, alright?.

14. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Noo... Game is crashing after the tutorial on my IPod touch 5th gen.. Argh, I knew something like this would happen.. I'm tired of watching the damn intro over and over again just to get to the same point and have it crash.

15. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Four man team I aim for one assault, support, sniper and heavy. I add an extra heavy and then an extra assault when I get extra slots. I tend to use my heavy as the core of my formations and then have the others do what they do best to support the heavy.

Obviously the wounded (or dead) leave me with ragtag groups sometimes. I find taking rookies in really fun. Sometimes they get torn up other times they rise to the challenge :)

16. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Try rebooting your device.

17. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Currently trying to level up team of 2 snipers, 2 heavys and 2 support soldiers.
    Support with +3 tiles movement is ideal for scouting , but they should be equipped with best armor because things escalate quickly and unexpected.Still they can hold on their own with smoke grenades that can cover them up ( I find them really useful ) and with additional medpacks ability.
    Snipers I put on overwatch to cover support advance and scouting.They MUST be equipped with best armor because if multiple enemy flanks their positions they are dead fast.
    Heavys are for babysitting snipers and providing support from front lines, usually equip them with grenades.
    I usually carry at least 1 stun device to get some free weapon from easy targets.
    Still experimenting with switching 1 heavy with assault class, but heavies look more useful.

18. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Finally loaded the game onto my iPad mini, after playing on a touch 5th gen. I can't find where to sync with iCloud, anyone know? Btw this game is amazing!

19. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Ok just finished my first playthrough but got a game over now that I understand the game should I stay on normal or up the difficulty?

20. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    How's this on iPhone 5?