Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Agreed lol!

2. CosmosMan

CosmosMan Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Researcher/Teacher/Scientist
    Canada
    Hesitant

I just downloaded this game for free on my PS3 (it's currently part of the Instant Games Collection if you have PS+).

I didn't touch it yet to save my first experience for the iPad version, but.... I don't know.

Seems silly to spend $20 on something I already have and got for almost free. Also this game is $30 in stores for consoles, so $20 is a bit steep for a less graphically intensive and MP missing version of the game (they say it will be patched later).

3. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #43 Rip73, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    There is still an unpacked (compressed) restriction of 2gb.
    The 2.8gb you refer to is just in relation to older iOS and older devices (3gs and below definitely, I thought 4 as well but not too sure on that one, this game will answer that one for me) simply not being able to handle files of that size.

3.23gb uncompressed is actually pretty good for this game. I thought 3.5gb was the best they could hope for. And to go from 1.8gb to 3.23gb is some pretty impressive compression coding.

Not a direct reply to this quote but it bears context.
    It is of course a huge hit and very popular.
    But anybody on the fence or offended/shocked by the price, please consider it is Game of the Year 2012, its not console like, it is a full console experience at half the price of the console one in your pocket.
    I mean wow. I know its not the first full port, but its not a ten year old game either like the others.
    This is a really big deal for mobile, seriously.

Consider it an investment in the future of games on iOS because if it is a success (and it most certainly deserves to be on its own merits), other developers will have no choice but to take the platform more seriously.

I personally am going to enjoy the game greatly from what I've seen but I'm also going to be very content showing developers that we mobile gamers will happily support these kind of games and prices (reflected in quality) and want to see more of the same.

So get off the fence and get it :).

Edit. I will of course continue to support casual games as there is some great stuff out there.
    I'd just like to see more quality and depth in a game on mobile as I'm kinda done with consoles anyway.
    And this absolutely will fill that gap for me.
    And I do see the point of those who already have it on console recently and very well understand the hesitancy there from some, it would be a tough decision alright.
    Everyone else, who hates freemium or shallow story or short casual story, lets make an example and show this is what we are looking for. :) thanks.

4. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    This is just a suggestion,if your a fan of the devs and their vision for the platform,20$ is a good gesture of appreciation..plus you're gona get a portable version..

Well on steam this is 40$...So that's big savings if you ask me..

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    HOLY CRAP!! IT'S OUT!!??? Freaking the hell out right now. I Don't even have room for this but I gotta delete everything for it!!

6. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Agreed with Rip and also have the same request for the TA community. In no way do I think you have to oblige but if you can spare the money please consider downloading xcom. It's a great big premium title that if successful could kickstart a new era of ios titles.

Of coarse if you can't that's cool. However, If you can it would be great to send a message. Plus having one of the best games of the last couple years on your device isn't a bad added bonus

7. CosmosMan

Jun 18, 2009
    Canada
    iPad 3 versus iPad 4

So the continued vagueness about iPad 3 support and performance continues.

Can we PLEASE get a comparison/impressions between these two versions?

I have an iPad 3 and if it isn't going to run retina and have a poor FPS then I'm out.

8. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    So in XCOM:TFTD, you could eventually lose the entire game simply because you didn't defend countries well enough and they stopped funding you. Can the same thing happen here?

What are the notable gameplay mechanic differences between this and the old XCOM:Enemy Unknown and Terror From the Deep?

9. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Hopefully it runs well on the iPad mini

10. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Inferior graphics but 20 bucks

Wow, again, no shadows, like in KotOR. The iPad 4 should easily be able to handle them. For 20 bucks, I expect not just great gameplay but top quality graphics that get the most out of latest gen devices. If you have a different opinion, good for you.

11. CosmosMan

Jun 18, 2009
    Canada
    What other impressions for the iPad 4?

Retinas? Frame rate?

Curious to compare to iPad 3 impressions because that's what I own.

12. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Well you have to consider the limited amount data they could put into an app due to apple's policy..They have to take something away..There is also the promise of free content from here on out and there are such things as updates..

For the challenge of bringing down a 11 gig game into 3+ is a lot of work and a heroic effort..I guess they want to put the gameplay first before other factors which is the most important thing IMO..

13. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

2010? Thought this came out in 2012?!

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I am sorry that you have to live such an unhappy life.

15. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It did came out in 2012 :)

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Been following the thread closely and it hasnt come out yet, yet here it proves the iOS gaming community are just generally buckholes save a few.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Buckhole? What the heck does that mean?

18. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Well... means a Hole in a buck? Lol. Anyway, we should support these kind of premium AAA games. This will show other devs that there are gamers in the iOS platform who would pay for games like this and not just 1 minute casual games. 2 1/2 hours more to go

19. Elixir

Elixir Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Canada.
    I'm excited to see how this one turns out.