Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I wonder if any of te crashes are on JB devices? That would be a whole other problem.

For those not on JB devices, try rebooting then turn on airplane mode and see how that goes.

Considering all the people here enjoying the game with few to no crashes, I think the difference has to be something with the device itself. A month or so ago Gun Commando came out and it had a bug related to language settings. Maybe checking all of this stuff will help those with issues.

I posted a few pages back how to go read the error reports on idevices. That could be worth looking into to find what all was happening that caused the crash.

2. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    This is getting harder and harder. Canada,UK,mexico, argentina, russia and australia left and i'm only into the 3rd month (classic mode). Lost 3 majors. Already thought of restarting the whole game, but this is the first game i played where the difficulty and punishment is actually part of the fun.
    Running fine and smooth on my iPhone 5, zero crashes so far

3. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Most outrageous comment I've read today. Hardly a cash grab.

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    What comment of his(?) wasn't outrageous? (That last "cash grab" one earned a permanent spot on the ignore list).

The best I can gather from the never ending kvetching is that if they can't make the game look just like it does on a hex core PC with a 8GB of DDR3 RAM and 4GB Video Card, they're not doing it right and he has the sads...

Until just a few days ago, Call of Cthulhu, Hunters 2, and Danger Alliance Battles were the cutting edge for squad based TBS of this sort on iOS. Compare the XCOM port to those games, and it's pretty mind blowing what we're holding in our hands.

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #565 Rip73, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    I had very similar with a lot of high capacity apps recently where they would just crash out.
    Some very small ones even
    Nightc1 mentioned a lot of stuff that should work so if you check his post history on this tread, one of the solutions will work.

The solution for my issue was a bit extreme so it should only be considered a last resort (but still something worth doing every couple of months).

I essentially did an iCloud back up of the device and a computer iTunes back up as a precaution.
    I basically reset iPad to new by deleting all contents and settings. I then had to set it up again as if from new.
    Once I entered my iTunes details, I restored it from the iCloud back up. Once it rebooted, it downloaded all my apps back on to the device with all the save points and data I had on it before reset back as it should be.
    Of course, I've a very good wifi so it wasn't a problem redownloading all the apps but I would recommend doing it from the computer itunes back up because it will be quicker in most cases.

Since then, all the previously crashing apps are back to normal and working as they should be. The device has speeded up dramatically as well. And I managed to get reduce that ridiculous "other" space that shows up in itunes down to 800 mb rather than the 5.1 gb it was before.

This should solve you're problem. But it is time consuming. And be very sure to do a current back up to iCloud and iTunes desktop just to be very safe.

Good luck with it.

Edit. I just noticed nightc1 mentioned jailbreak devices. Its worth noting that there is a very good reason jailbreaking voids warranties and are unsupported.
    Jailbreaking has many legitimate uses (sbsettings in particular) and illegitimate uses (I really hate pirates) and is avery useful tool when used legitimately.
    But it does put a substantially higher drain in the system. Any tweaks or ui mods cause pretty severe slowdowns on most devices and they also rule out the possibility of doing the kind of fix I detailed above which really is necessary if a lot of installs and deletes are done regularly on a device.
    In reality, to get the best performance from your device, remove jailbreak because some of the mods just use too much ram and CPU.
    I've tested a lot of devices and monitored system usage on both non jailbroken and jailbroken and the difference in performance is much bigger than you'd think, so my advice is always just reset and remove the jailbreak if you want to get the best from your device.
    That's not to say you have a jailbreak, I'm only saying it just in case you do or others with similar issues do. :)

6. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    So you haven't read a lot of his post eh??Well maybe some of them were deleted by mods..:p

7. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Can someone answer me what's the point of capturing those aliens? Other than the initial mission quest which I have already fufilled..

8. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Dude, keep your expectations low. If you want xcom with all the bells and whistles at 60fps, you can play it on the consoles/PC/Mac

9. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well, you just ruined part of the games surprises for me, revealing that the dude was "controlled with zombie eyes"!!

In my game, his face is in shadows, no sign of anything abnormal in his face, which just prove your statement to be untrue, and on top of that you ruined a big part of the surprise for people like me, who haven't played the game before.

It's not fair to be comparing the game to games specifically written for iOS either, as it's a port! That's just bordering on stupid.

The graphics looks great on my iPad 3, performance likewise, but even if it wasn't as pretty as it is, gameplay is king, and this game got it in spades.

10. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    1) You can use them but you first need to do the research on them in order to use them I believe. After you have done the research you are able to use whatever weapons you acquire through capture. No using the weapons until then IIRC. I haven't played far enough into this version to verify but having played the 360 version this is how it works and I can't imagine that they altered it.

2) After the initial capture and research any other specimens you capture can be used to sell to subsidize your spending and budget. As you get further along you will find that the monthly budget just won't suffice when you are faced with pinch moments where you need the money to advance a research or something. This along with broken alien artifacts (engines, whatnot with the words broken) and certain other things I can't remember but that have a descriptor on them that they have no developmental or research value can be sold!

11. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Why does he need to mention gameplay? From reading his posts, it appears he finds the graphics and performance so bad that the game is not worth playing - to him, the gameplay of this game is irrelevant - he is prevented from enjoying it by the graphics and performance.

It's great to see people critising the graphics and performance of games - I hate buying games where everyone has said "omg best gameplay ever" only to find it runs at something like 10 fps on my iPad 2 - the gameplay's irrelevant if I can't actually play it!

Also, it's helpful to see posts like "the shadows are just blobs, they aren't the shape of my character :(" - there was something like that posted on the WHQ thread - if that is all that person can find wrong with the graphics, I know I won't be annoyed with the graphics!

12. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Great app great game amazing

13. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Kind of like a real forest then? ;)
    Only kidding, I know what you mean.
    Mind you I've played about 10 hours so far and not had anything too similar yet, still always fresh and surprising maps.
    Really loving this game; it's so good!

14. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    That's what I was expecting I have done my research on laser pistol laser rifle.. But I never get them free even my squad risk their life capturing those mofo..

For 2.. I get that point.. I never sold anything yet but it seems good to sell the corpses..

Thanks

15. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #575 Alister, Jun 22, 2013
    Sorry wouldn't fps be a factor of gameplay??

Edit:Yes honest and brutal feedback is important as long as they're credible..But hey this is the Internet and anything goes..

16. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Oh dear this game is a must have! One of the best game on IOS!

17. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #577 Bool Zero, Jun 22, 2013
    I think it may be a little presumptuous and audacious of you to demand high fidelity graphics on a port of a less than two year old PC and console game that is running on your current hardware no where near as powerful as it was speced for that is two generations behind the current iteration of hardware... I think you are just starting to experience what I did several years ago where your generation of hardware is starting to feel the glass ceiling. I had an iPad 1(which hit it ceiling well before the iOS 6 block out) and know what you are feeling, but the difference is that I never attacked the games or my tech starting to fall behind. As soon as I start to feel it on my iPad 3 I will upgrade again. Your are starting to feel the ceiling of your hardware, sorry. It doesn't mean you have to rush out and get the newest hardware, but just realize that progression won't be halted just because you choose to believe that all games must run great on your hardware.

Honestly, play the game as the gameplay is paramount. This is not an action or FPS game where half of the enjoyment actually comes from the visual experience. This is a tactical turn based game, and looks are secondary to the gameplay.

Besides:
    aside from that first moment in the game, there are not any moments that I an think of that will be ruined by lack of shadows and lighting on your iPad aside from a bad game over condition.
    you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not playing this game just because of a few lack of shadows and lighting that hardly impact the great gameplay you would be missing out on.

There are games that merit being a visual-phile over... This genre in general goes against those rules and you'd be keeping yourself from a great game because of misplaced snootiness. This is debatably the best looking 3D turn based tactical strategy game on iOS bar none. If it looks bad on your device, then realize that it looks bad on your device and realize that if you uphold visual fidelity as a priority, then perhaps you need to invest in the hardware that best provides that satisfaction, not demand that your iPad 2 magically attain a GPU and memory boost. It's like being angry that a new PC game released wont work on max settings on your five year old then mid range PC.

And if this comes off wrong, in no way am I trying to be mean or rude but rather snarky. I get why you are upset and empathize... I just think your hostility towards the game is misplaced.

18. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    #578 Bool Zero, Jun 22, 2013
    IIRC you only get the plasma weapons as drops as those are the alien weapons. The Laser weapons are man made weapons derived from alien tech and I don't believe they are dropped. In order to use the captured Plasma guns and rifles you have to be able to make them first IIRC. I could be wrong and i need to get some more time to replay this version to remember! Personally, i would skip Laser research and just research Plasma as it is just a better weapon tier all around. hopefully this helps!

Also keep in mind that as you capture aliens you are also stockpiling weapons that you recover which mitigates your build costs on supplying your soldiers.

Also, check out the wikia for any other questions if you are interested:
    http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_(XCOM:_Enemy_Unknown)

19. Lostpop21

Lostpop21 New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Runs a bit sluggish on 4s, but completely playable, and nothing an update cant smooth out. All in all, while the port may not be the greatest, all the things that make the pc/console cersion great are here.

A Tip: Satelites. Buy them.

20. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Thanks for the post. That's more of the feedback I've been wanting since I'm on a 4S until I'm eligigable for my next upgrade (hopefully 5S or 6).

Side note: looks like the thread is getting scrubbed.