Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    £13.99 well spent, this game is just beautiful on my iPhone 5

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ditto for iPad 3! I don't know why that first tutorial video looked so bad (I didn't play it personally; I skipped the tutorial since I have played the game before) but playing the actual game it looks much better than the videos make it look, graphically speaking. Sure it is not like the 360 version I own, but it looks good enough in my eyes on this platform! I doubled down buying this version without hesitation... This is a great game that deserves the attention and has earned my money twice!

3. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Game is really pickin up. Just lost support from 3 more countries, not including the 1st one i lost the 1st month. Man this game rocks! hope there is online multiplayer and skirmishes against bots

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Questions
    1) why when we capture the aliens alive with the weapons intact, we can't use them but need to buy!!!
    2) what's the point of capturing those mofo it seems like there's no reason to do so after capturing one of each for research purpose?

5. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    #545 Boomwolf, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Multiplayer is currently being planned to be released some time in the future, along with the current dlc already on consoles.

As for skirmishes, I don't believe even the console had that.

If your a strategy gamer that isn't turned of by retro or older graphics, and want a Xcom type game that does have a "skirmish" mode (more like a mission generator, but what's the difference?) you might go check out a game called Aliens Versus Humans, which is heavily based on the Original Xcom from 1994.

You can actually find it right next to Xcom in the AppStore if you type "Xcom" in the search bar

6. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    [i say this having not yet played the game, just roleplaying the reason]

Coz your scientists took it apart to understand how it worked, so you need to pay for them building new ones from the tech they learned :)

Actually it would be kinda cool if there was a % chance that when reverse engineering it that it explodes killing the scientists, another % is them missundersanding the tech and not being able to come up with earth equivalents and so on.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That moment when your Assault guy Run-N-Guns with your last turn and everyone is exhausted, only to reveal 3 more enemies as you spend all actions to close in for that supposedly last kill of the turn. :D

8. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Im playing right now on my ps3 and just lost one of my best operatives because of a measly floater, who'd thought it would go critical on him!

The rest of the op went butter smooth but I cant shake the feeling of defeat for not taking care of one of my best guys, I love this game! Lol

I went ahead and bought this for my work ipad today, its going to kill some of my work days for sure! Havent played it yet as I love playing with second wave options enabled but its great to even think I can have the same delicious game on my tablet or phone!

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's also published by 2k games. Who took my beloved Prince of Persia Retro off of the store. Who exactly is being supported?

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've got an ultra tanky support (move+3, 2xchitin plate) acting as a scout/spotter, and 2 snipers taking down everyone. The rest is another support that specializes in smoke grenades but is also basically my medic, a heavy weapons guy for those holy-crap-just-blast-em-all moments, and an assault guy that bodyguards my 2 snipers.

Oh.. i have 2 tanky supports that take turns in between missions coz whoever is in the fight between the 2 of them is the only one taking damage almost every mission. Now working on levelling up a third tanky support. :D

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The same 2K Games that gave us... Borderlands Legends! :D

12. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    What is with the obsession with shadows? Really? This game literally fried my power supply. On a PC with 8 gigs of RAM and a video card with a gig. You know you are using a low power mobile device, right?

13. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Hey now,its not actually 2k games we're supporting but firaxis and the vision of Jake Solomon for the platform..You should read his interviews..

Just like to straighten out some thing..;)

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I know, this is one of those games that doesn't come across well at all on video for some reason. The actual game looks and performs so much better than any of the videos I've seen online.

In fact, I was almost put off buying the game after watching a couple of videos before launch. I'm glad I did though, it's an amazing game and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

15. olio

olio Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Corrupted save files :/

I play XCom in Ironman mode and it's now second time this happened, thus rendering all the hours I've spent with game to nothing.

It looks like that if I "save and exit" during a battle and then multitask to another app/launch another app, before I kill XCom from the taskbar, I get the following error when I try to load the game again.

Any insight in the matter would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

16. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Ipad 3 , IOS6.1.3, everytime Crashes after Tuturial, german Version

Hello from Germany,

This game is crashing all the Time after the Tuturial on Ipad 3 IOS 6.1.3. i can not play it and that is bad for a game of this price.

When I jump over the Tuturial and play the first sequence the game crashes after the first cleared mission every time.

17. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'll bet you that it'll load fine if you reboot your iPad and try again.
    I'm playing on iPad 3, several people here is playing on iPad 2 and iPad Mini, and so far it's working fine for everyone that's been following that recipe.

Many demanding games requires a reboot to free memory resources.

18. Sinned

Sinned Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Thank you for your answer,

I reboot and I shut down every App...just Xcom was running and it still crashes.

I delete it and lod it new yesterday but just this also crashes.

19. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    #559 Maniacfive, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
    Playing on an iPad 3. 64gb with about 5gb free space after a complete reboot (I also have no notifications set for my iPad.)

In game performance is great. Spinning the view is a little jerky but it's fine otherwise. Squad control is responsive and easy.

BUT. (You knew there was one right.)

Have been playing for two hours, it has crashed twice. The first time it went to the home screen. No biggy, Second time, was scary! rebooted the iPad and upon resuming game, was told my save file was corrupted! Turned out This was the autosave slot so the damage wasn't to bad.

That said it has not dulled my enthusiasm for the game. It's an easy 5 stars. In fact I'm probably going to pick it up for the Mac based on the 2 hours I've played on t'pad.

I'm sure a lot of these crash bugs will be resolved in updates anyway.

20. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    After couple of initial missions which run smooth , there is a very noticeable FPS drop with more enemies on screen , especially when fighting inside crashed UFO with all fancy door and forcefield animations in there, even more when switching to shoot view or shooting rocket.Encountered only single crash so far though :)