Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    After your post, I bought Aliens vs Humans. I played the original Xcom games, never finished either of them, but had tremendous fun.

After I've played through the new XCom game a couple of times, I'm going to spend some time with AvH, I want to support indie developers that makes good games.

I've been having an absolute blast with XCom so far, haven't had a single chrash or noticeable slowdown, and I'm loving it!

2. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I've got to say, I really struggled to get my head around Aliens versus Humans when I bought it a few months ago. I'm not naturally inclined towards strategy games, but I've loved XCom over the last few days and I definitely think I'll give Aliens another go when I'm done.

I know the tension brought on by the higher difficulty settings is a big part of what makes both games so satisfying to many people, but on the easy setting XCOM is forgiving enough not to put me off. I've been eased in well enough that I think I could move on to the harder settings in future.

3. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas

Oh cool! I really hope your feel you got your money's worth.

I was really kinda worried I'd get blasted for mentioning AvH at all in a Xcom thread. I tried to be fair as I really like them both.

It's just a shame so few people even seem to know about AvH.

4. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    really great game - worth every [insert currency here]

This is really great game. I'm running it on an iPad 2 and I'm loving it. I was more then happy to pay 20 bucks for a great game. Like KOTOR a few weeks ago. It's great that 2K games did this and I couldn't image how rageous would be if they would did the same model as with Real Racing 3. Waiting times. Anyone thought of that?

What I found really funny are the comparisions between console / PC / iOS. Did anyone thought about someone who doesn't have these options? I'm one of them. I had to Xbox 360 - both with RROD. My MacBook is >8 years old and I can't play anything on it - just saying. My iPad 2 is my main device and I'm sure, that there are more out there. It's just awesome that this game exists on iOS.

It makes me very happy to read this:

And after >3 hours in the game it makes me sad to read something like this ;):

//

As far as I know there are already a lot of impressions about the game in this thread and I guess Eli tested / played this game on his iPad Mini. On the iPad 2 it runs good. There's no need to complain in my opinion. What was already mentioned is the handling of in-room situations and camera angles. Also it's a bit annoying that you can't cancel the intro movie - at least not as fast as I would like to. But XCOM playing-sessions are longer one for me. So no big deal.

Someone mentioned the obvious. Reboot / clear cache. How about flight-mode? If you don't use the iCloud saving option - and there'se no multiyplayer right now - you could also save performance and battery life up with that. Also you don't have to check / re-set your notifications. Just saying.

5. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Thanks a lot for comparing both games, i can't afford xcom for the moment, and graphics aren't important for me. I have a 64go device, but i use music apps, and they're really taking a lot of space, so AvH seems to be more interesting for me.

I'll buy AvH, thanks to you!

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    IMO it's okay to recommend a similar game in another games thread, as long as its done respectfully and not like it's been done earlier in this thread by another poster where he threw unfairly and unwarranted shite and lies all over this game.

If someone likes this game and have similar games to recommend, it's cool as far as I'm concerned.

I look forward to trying AvH out when I'm done playing XCom, which will take a while, I think.. :)
    I simply love this game.

7. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    Awesome! I actually made some of the music featured in the game using my phone, as a matter of fact! And I'm currently trying to figure out how I'm going to finish some songs with only 100 or so mb left ...XD

You can find the songs I made in the options screen where u can choose music. In my opinion they chose my worst songs, I have more they didn't use on my soundcloud page.

8. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    germany:

number 1 in paid apps and number 3 in grossing.5 stars of course.

germans love strategy games :)

unfortunately i have to wait until next week.I already spent 25 bucks on (music) apps this week.But Playing Kotor helps a bit...

9. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    If you have 2.99 left over, you could probably get Aliens Versus Humans to help pass the wait... Huh, that's funny to me being that Germany is where the games first tutorial mission is located.

10. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Yeah. Same here. Did you notice the old police car color? And the different license plaids? Very funny. ;)

11. jamiejap

jamiejap Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2013
    it's bizar but I waited to buy the iOS version because its much cheaper than the Mac version. iOS games are just very cheap.

12. MartianLM

MartianLM Member

Oct 7, 2011
    #512 MartianLM, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    I'd really love to support premium iOS games at premium prices (especially my beloved Xcom franchise), but I choke on the price which is 40% higher than I can get it for my PC on Amazon UK :(

13. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    But it's been out for about a year on PC, whereas it came out this week for iOS, so it's not that fair to compare the two prices.

I'd get it for your PC, personally. Looks better and has all the maps, and extra content.

14. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Im at level four now and this plays great on an iPhone 4S. I play with it zoomed out though, but it does work and play very well on this small screen. Battery usage is good 45 minutes - 20%

15. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    No, they can't. Only certain vehicles, and buildings. But nothing else.

16. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    They aren't that random. It's actually huge chunks of map that are 'randoml'y bolted together to create a map, but given how few chunks there are, maps that are based on the same set of chunks barely differ. You get real familiar with seeing what seems like identical woodland maps, put it that way.

They're nothing like as randomly generated as the original UFO game.

17. Boomwolf

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    Actually according to Wikipedia, the maps in Xcom aren't random AT ALL but the enemy placement IS......just what I'm reading.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Ed you're so wrong. Try out any "activity monitor" app from the App Store and check the ram before and after closing all the apps in the tray. Tell me what you see.
    And I can say, in the past if I've had apps that are borderline unstable, closing all open apps in the tray, improves the amount of times I have a successful start and play of that game.

Don't be so quick to fire off like that.

Here you go old sport:

Activity Monitor Touch Free by HandyPadSoft
    https://itun.es/au/YvKMx.i

19. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

The memory "used" by suspended apps is marked by the operating system as ready-to-dump-at-a-moments-notice. If the active app needs more memory, the OS handles the situation. Closing all tray apps all the time is more of an OCD thing.

20. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Sticktron and mr ed209 are correct. That is all.

In other news, and I have no idea if this has been mentioned but... is it just me, or are iCloud saves a bit bugged at the moment? Half of the time they don't save correctly, so I can't aways move between my iPhone and iPad.