Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    i got an ipad mini and im playing xcom on it now
    run perfectly well im on 3rd level now

just make sure to close all active apps and reboot the ipad before you play it

Zero crash until now
    :D

2. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Ok. I've played this for several hours now. This is an amazing game.

3. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    XCOM place no 3 in paid apps
    no 4 in top grossing in US Appstore

Just buy it already guys
    to send message to dev that we IOS gamer is not whiny "gamer" that only want to buy 0.99 $ game and freemium
    bring on more premium game to IOS :D

4. crazycan98

crazycan98 Active Member

Jun 28, 2011
    With the recent release of some amazing games + awesome updates where do I begin..

Warhammer
    Star wars Kotor
    FF tactics update
    A tad old but Baldur's gate update that fixed most things
    <insert kemco RPG>
    Now XCOM.

Such a joyous backlog :)

5. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    How much content is there. Like #of missions

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Swipe up with two fingers to change elevation. You can also use the up arrow on the left side of the screen. That helps the game better understand where you want to go.

7. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    I do believe it has the same number of missions as the console/pc though some maps are missing..
    I head over to pocket gamer and there has been claims that only two maps were taken..One guy over here say 20..No official statement yet of how many we're taken away...
    BTW maps are randomly generated..

8. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Added my wish lish.

9. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    (cough)

Statement: just played though the tutorial first mission on iPad3, 32GB, no JB, latest iOS production version. Apart from 1 noticeable stuttering, the game runs very fine. Happy days.

10. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

You ish wish lish?

;)

Russell - I hate you, I thought they got the Shadowrun date wrong for the iPad version and it somehow snuck out.

Boo.

11. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm doing that but I get a yellow circle when I drag to the top of a crate or something like that.

Unrelated funny story: I had a guy standing on top of the bus, in overwatch mode. An alien beams down in the exact same hex, also in overwatch. Neither of us fires so the next turn I take a step back and fire point blank. Damn thing poisoned me as it died, though.

12. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    #492 twistedmind87, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    There's too many pages to scroll through but this runs well on an iPhone 4S although the small screen compared to the iPad does loose some of the games appeal.
    Graphics are noticeable reduced from the PC version but then 12gb to 3.5gb is a huge drop and with all the fancy textures etc i doubt this would run.
    Few small niggles, nothing major. Great port and great game! Loads in 30 seconds for me and runs fine.
    [I like that the dev left it up to the user to decide what device to play on. Many if not all iPad only games do run on iPhones and some are even combiled for them but the Dev takes the easy route and leaves the iPhones out]

13. Drogbathelegend

Drogbathelegend Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Same here, I am happy for them.
    Also, keep in mind that pirates (thieves) can write reviews. All in all, I hope those 194 reviews are honest buyers;)

14. Duckster

Duckster Active Member

May 30, 2012
    I just purchased earlier and loving it so far, I'm on iPad mini running current iOS version. I closed all apps and rebooted before playing and experienced 2 crashes, one right after the first mission during the cut scene and the other right at the end of the second mission while transitioning back to base. Just went and turned off notification center for all games to see if that nips it in the butt.

15. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Wow, had no idea this was a lock for July 25th. What a summer...

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

You can't review an app you did not purchase. Reviews are tied to the Apple ID used for the original purchase. It's why I can't review games I bought under a different Apple ID unless I'm signed in with that account.

17. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Hmmm, interesting!
    Anyway, can you imagine the full fifa on iOS? That would be awesome:)

18. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Buty this now and save up for when Shadowrun Returns comes out if it is a money issue... I believe Shadowrun Returns isn't due out until July 25th but I could be wrong. Either way I bought this [again] and will buy Shadowrun Returns too because I am an old school decker from back in the day (pen and paper Shadowrun) and love that I will get to play an enhanced version of the old video game on my iPad! This has been a great year for me as an iOS gamer with all of my favorites making it to this platform in some form or another!

19. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    #499 Boomwolf, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

It can certainly be hoped! They have mentioned an increase in sales, before they had been described as being fairly poor lately.

I noticed a couple of members arguing that AvH was a better purchase than Xcom. And still others saying that AvH was "Interesting from an indie perspective, but Xcom is the real deal!" I disagree with both statements. They are both solid strategy gaming experiences with their own pros and cons. Strengths and weaknesses.

Lets compare the two:

Xcom Vs AvH

SPACE REQUIREMENTS:

XCOM : 1.86 Gb (Actually 3.2 Gb)

AvH : 26.6 Mb

Winner: AvH

If your stuck with a 16 Gb device (like mine!) you'll need to carefully consider purchasing Xcom, as it is going to take up lots of room. I deleted almost all my other games. If you want an Xcom type game but don't have the free space, you might look to AvH as an alternative.

PRESENTATION

Winner: Xcom

XCOM wins this in a landslide. Whether its the exciting music or the voice acting, the reinvented base management menu mechanics, or the cutscenes that seem ripped right from the console version, you really can feel the games universe oozing around your finger tips. The camera controls take some getting used to IMO, and I'm still learning to properly maneuver my soldiers, but I think that's more my being clumsy than a game flaw.

AvH's presentation seems aimed more at recreating the feel and nostalgia of the original XCOM game. and production menus are at present, simple and (if a bit bland) but almost identical to the original Xcom interfaces. The battle map interface is easy to navigate, and while its not fancy, it's easy to figure out what the buttons mean.

The music is creepy (I'm partly to blame for that as I provided some of it.) And suits the game well, but it doesn't have the same "Evil Aliens" phase theme, switching-next-turn to "Heroic XCOM" phase Theme feature, that really enhances the turn-based fighting action IMO.

GAMEPLAY

WINNER: Tie

It really depends on what your looking for. Xcom is definitely STILL Xcom, but the game has been streamlined and made much more user friendly than its original incarnation, doing away with the "time units" in favor of a "two actions per soldier turn" system. This is great for people like me that don't want to have to keep up with things like movement cost, actions, etc.

AvH uses the TU system, which give you a pool of "time units" to spend on performing all the currently selected soldiers actions.

Intercepting UFOs was one feature the developers (of AvH) choose not to implement. Instead, the aliens have opted to use teleportation as a means of travel, and it becomes a game changing feature for your troops once you aquire the technology for yourself.

Also missing (but currently being discussed) are the "Terror missions" and the "capture live alien" gameplay mechanic.

Xcom's soldiers are completly customizable male and female models. So far it doesn't seem possible to alter the color of their armor, which is kinda a bummer.

AvH Has recently updated to include a simple selection of colors for customizing it's troops, and while there are no female soldiers as of yet, it is being discussed.

Xcom reportedly had to drop a few of the console maps for one reason or other, but they still have more than enough for a single playthru, and the enemy placement is randomly generated. The environments are also destructible.

AvH has randomly generated maps, that are also climate specific:

(Meaning if you land on a mission set in Antarctica/Canada it will probably have arctic terrain.)

Also, the environment is also completly destructible.

Both games have aliens that are equally good at killing your men, and making your mission an utter failure before you realize it. AvH actually allows you to carry more soldiers into a mission, and that's good because sometimes it's better to send the new guy around that blind spot first, than risk your high ranking leveled up soldier.

Speaking of leveling up...
    Xcom has the cooler leveling system. AvH's soldiers become more skilled, but they do not unlock any special abilities, their stats do, however, increase.

LASTING APPEAL

Winner: AvH (So far...)

Xcom is incredibly addictive and the large number of maps, random enemy placement, and difficulty settings (iron man anyone?) means that you could play this for a very long time.

BUT ...

It doesn't have as much content as AvH, at least not yet.

The console dlc is supposedly going to be released in the future.

AvH on the other hand has technically become two games in one:

-The original missions from the 1.0 release of AvH , now referred to as "Training Missions" in the Main Menu

- AvH 2.0 "The Onslaught" , when AvH added the requested base building and research game mechanics.

-A fairly robust mission generator that is contained inside
    "Training Missions" allows players to create and save their own missions,

GRAPHICS

Winner: XCOM (From a technological standpoint)

Xcom is played in the unreal engine.

AvH is a 2D game that was designed to resemble the "Classic" XCOM battlemap look.

(And they must have succeeded, as on a certain particular forum the game was actually accused of using the originals resources.)

XCOM is great if you want 3D graphics that look nice even if slightly scaled down for mobile devices.

If your into retro graphics, you'll probably feel right at home with AvH, but it may not appeal to some other players simply because it looks "old" or "low budget"

PRICE:

Winner: depends on your budget.

If you can afford to spend 3.2 gigs of IOS memory and twenty bucks on a Port of a game that used to cost more than twice that amount....do it. Xcom game is worth the price.

But if you can't, you might consider waiting for a sale or something....

If its just not feasible, then you can consider AvH as a possible alternative, at a much lower cost.

Or do what I did:

You could buy BOTH, and play AvH while XCOM downloads its 3.2 gigs.of awesomeness.

Both games are the best examples of the kind of gameplay Xcom fans are looking for on a mobile device.

What's funny is, how each has some of the original games features, yet neither have all of them.

This is partly due to game design, and also somewhat due to poor sales (on AvH's end)

And if anyone is wondering, no I do not work for Leisurerules Inc, though I did make music for the AvH game, and I have been corresponding with them over the past year as a fan.

(If you read all this your attention span is better than mine.)

20. jeStR65

jeStR65 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2012
    :( R.I.P Maj. Ruben"Mack" Vargas 12 missions and 32 kills :'(