Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Wow... This game is AMAZING. Yes, the textures are lower compared to the console or even iPad 4s on my iPad Mini... But you will not nitpick over it a whole lot as the GAMEPLAY, PRESENTATION, STORY, everything is just amazing. This is coming from one who has not had the chance to play this on any consoles or PC yet (being a father to a baby girl tends to have that effect :p ). Thank you Firaxis, thank you devs... From the bottom of my heart. Here's to more console-quality games for our iOS devices!!!

2. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Just 1 question is this better that warhammer quest

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    £13.99 does seem rather steep considering the PS3 version is £16.99 from GAME. I think the extra visual effects, better framerate, and customisable armour people have mentioned in this thread are worth £3 to me. Or I might just get a free 30 day trial of PS+, and download it for free, and make sure to complete it in a month.

But it's great this has been released on iOS, I don't buy many PS3 games so hadn't heard of this game, I only know about it now because of it being mentioned on Touch Arcade :)

This does look like a good port though, it's a shame it's so close in price to the PS3 version, and it's a shame the PS3 version is free on PS+ at the moment.

4. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I cant buy on ipad, and on pc itunes shows error 5002!
    Help!

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the explanation!!! This explains my performance issues on the original iphone 4. Now I have a 4s with a system restore of the 4 and it works flawlessly. Whenever I begin getting slowdowns I'll do as suggested :)

6. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    No7 top paid apps and No8 top grossing in my country!!!
    Thank god there is some hope that big games with big prices have their space in iOS gaming :)

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I've been hearing a bunch of reports on this, it's not just you.

If I had to guess it's the AppStore team getting ready for the Thursday refresh (I have a good hunch this is game of the week)

With this game being so large they may need to get it on more high volume servers to handle the traffic that comes with being editor's choice.

8. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Warhammer Quest is a good iOS game. I have to say that this is a whole different level. Even if the only difference was Overwatch, it would be a much better game.

I haven't played the PC or console version so I'm seeing it fresh as an iPad game and it is a bloody good iPad game. If I had to uninstall Warhammer Quest to put this on (I didn't, btw, I had a lot of space).... I would.

9. chrisb3

chrisb3 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Editors Choice for iPad, but not iPhone.

It is listed under "New and Noteworthy" for iPhone.

10. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    5002 error here. Can't buy Xcom :mad:

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    That's an oddly specific thing to nitpick. I said it would get increased traffic for being editor's choice BEFORE the refresh went live.

I never mentioned iPhone specifically, so what does that have to do with what I said?

12. jamiejap

jamiejap Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Me too. No chance to load it.

13. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    It's very hard to compare the two.
    Warhammer Quest is a very faithful adaptation of a board game, and though there's a fair amount of strategy involved, it's closer to RPG/strategy than anything, whereas Xcom is a deep, squad based strategy game, including base building, maintaining upkeep and using resources wisely.

It's just two very, very different games, and they're both very good IMO.
    I've bought both, and is planning to buy every future expansion to either game.

14. chrisb3

chrisb3 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wasn't really nitpicking. Just thought it odd to make it EC for just iPad and not both.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't carry your ps3 in your pocket ;)

Being able to play this however you want and wherever is well worth the price, for me at least.

Now if this comes to a vita with way better visuals, maybe then it would be a consideration. But I doubt the visuals will be that much better, and the screen size versus the iPad is pretty, ahem, sizeable ;)

Just remember if you get PS+ and download it, you will still have it forever and if you re-up your membership you'll be able to play it again.

But just to let you know, unless something changed just recently, you can only buy 3-month and 1-year memberships. Not 1 month.

16. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    lol thanks because warhammer quest was a new genre for me. Before I brought it I never was interested In turn base strategy games. And I love it. But I've been looking forward to this 1 for ages so thanks for your polite answer. It's downloading now on my iPhone 5 I can't wait to play it

17. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    no doubt about that for me to lol

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Actually, it's pretty odd that Apple isn't showing it as the editor's choice for iPad in the main store. It's new and noteworthy unless you specifically go into the games section :/

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

It's EC for me on the iPad, but not on the iPhone. Maybe they'll update it?

20. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Second top paid app in here with Icebreaker Viking Voyage on 1st place and 4th on top grossing list.Certain that it will come on top of both lists and be there until Monday or tuesday and then rapidly fall down , at least that's what happened to KOTOR, not even in top 100 paid apps anymore.