Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks for the report! Can't wait to grab this one!

2. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    ok, so the feeling I'm getting is.... this game is worth 20 bucks for the iPad users, not so much for iPod or iPhone users. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess there is an attraction to playing this game on a mobile device and the convenience factor.

So overall is this worth 20 bucks for iOS, Yay or Nay??

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This really isn't necessary and likely any benefit you're seeing is just because of the effect of it clearing out all the backgrounding stuff which you'd accomplish with your other steps. File fragmentation largely doesn't matter at all on flash media since there's no drive head that has to move around. :)

4. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #424 oldgamer dude, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Ok what's the consensus on how it runs on the touch 5? Which is basically the same as the 4S but with dual channel ram. I mean I'd like to think the 'newer' touch is a bit more powerful than the older 4S but I don't see any difference except the screen and type of ram.

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I've read every post in the thread and other than the tip to reboot, it seemed like people were just willing to live with errors. I appreciate the feedback and I hope it helps someone out there get this or any other resource hungry game run smoothly.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I bought it last night, but let it install over night. So I'll be trying it out later tonight, hopefully, definitely tomorrow, on my iPad 2. I will report the results.

7. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    This is great to see as a developer and gamer.

8. silentcorp

silentcorp Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Anyone else unable to read just about any text in the game on an iPhone4s? I literally can't read any of the yellow text, also having a hard time hitting the tiny buttons. Any word on a patch that will make this thing more playable (fix the camera swipe controls as well) on an iPhone or are we just screwed?

9. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

It's #2 in Canada, just behind minecraft, and seeing as Minecraft is like crack cocaine, that's a pretty stellar spot to be in, especially considering the price is 3x as high here. It's crazy!

So #2 in paid, #6 in grossing.

Yay. Yay yay and yay.

10. Endeauvirr

Endeauvirr Active Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Anyone could tell how the game is behaving on iPad 3rd gen?

11. andsoitgoes

You gotta think though, CCS has been on the App Store for a while now, and Xcom just hit today. Give it a few days and hopefully Xcom will squash it with its big ass boots.

Yeah, everything else was great advice. But fragmentation is only an issue with physical plates and moving arms, as to find things means the arm has to fly all over the place. With flash media everything is there and can be accessed in...l

Wait for it...

A flash ;)

I know you already know that, I'm more saying it for others who aren't familiar with the process and because, well, it's about the only thing I actually know :D

12. andsoitgoes

There have been many comments here saying it runs just fine on the 3, although it might not run at the full retina resolution.

13. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Digigods help me, I'm trying to purchase it right now (getting a store error for some unknown reason), so if all goes "well", expect my unvarnished critique of its performance later.

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I am totally hooked! The game is so much better than I expected, and it doesn't look bad at all. The map used in the tutorial section at the beginning is a bit boring to look at, and that is what most people have been showing in gameplay videos, giving a false impression of how the game looks overall. Here are a few more iPad 3 screenshots I have taken along the way. http://www.candykiller.com/temp/xcomscreens.jpg

15. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    As someone who is playing on a 4s, I say yay, but it really depends on your budget and your expectations. At first I felt like I wasted 20 bucks when I experienced serious framerate issues, but rebooting my device seemed to really help. So while I wouldn't call XCOM "smooth" on a 4s, it's VERY playable and I am enjoying it very much after doing a reboot.

The other issues for me have been the size of the text (20/20 vision and I'm still straining and squinting) and a jerky in-game camera. (Example: almost every time I enter a building I get a weird sense of vertigo, like I'm falling into the building rather then entering it.)

It's still a blast to play, even on a 4s (warts and all) and don't regret spending the 20. But again, it all depends on your budget and your expectations.

16. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Cool!

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Mostly agree with that, reading the text on my 4s can be as challenging as playing the game. I wasn't unable to read it but it was a serious strain. Hitting the tiny buttons has been, well, "hit & miss" for me. (Mostly hit) I'm not sure if the devs have any updates planned to address these issues on the 4s, but I would be shocked if future updates didn't address performance issues on "lower" end supported devices.

18. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Considering the passion the dev had previously expressed for ios I would be suprised if we see are fair few performance based updates coming up

19. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

UK app store - number 15 in paid apps, 11 in top grossing, featured in new & noteworthy. 34 ratings: 21 x 5*, 3 x 4*, 4 x 3*, 4 x 2*, 2 x 1*.

Low ratings tend to be associated with reviews such as "It doesn't work", "It crashes", "The intro video can't be skipped".

I've bought it. Just so you know...

20. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I've worked on developing embedded systems with Linux including putting the entire OS and all applications on a NAND Disc On Chip (let me say cross-compiling an operation system to build a native compiler to compile an entire OS natively is pretty dang cool)... so I know there's something real to this. No it's not head readings getting slower as there is no head, but more to do with the address table (typically block based) growing so large due to fragmentation that it ends up requiring an amount of ram that impacts system performance. Fragmentation is part of the problem. This has been an issue in the past mostly hitting iPodTouch 4th gen users. My 3 kids all have 4th Gen iPodTouch systems and it's an issue that creeps up usually after several months of heavy downloading/installing/deleting etc apps. Resolving the problem with a simple system backup & restore makes a world of difference.