Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #401 Vovin, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    *deleted*

2. jamesmcadams82

jamesmcadams82 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    When you go to the save screen, one of the save slots is called 'icloud' and has a different appearance to the top save(s). Save in that one.

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I've actually been looking closer at that. 23.3 MB, classic style xcom, widescreen support (not that I need it), ability to color the armor of troops, ... etc... it seems like a good deal overall. I added it to my want list. When I get some money on my iTunes account I think I'll grab it.

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I did do this morning. Studied a lot the situation and checked all the info regarding "Alien versus Humans" and "XCOM", and in the end chose buying "AvH" because it weighs less (25MB Vs 1.85GB) and gameplay is similar to the original X-Com. I'm very happy with the purchase.

6. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Can apple send me this on disc? My bandwidth allowance isn't this high! The way things are going well have 10gb downloads soon and anything less than a 64gh device will be useless!

7. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
  8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I recommend you buy both, and don't encourage people to spread malicious lies like this.
    I don't believe you've even bought this game, as there's certainly not any bugs in my game!

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I will happily admit to not buying it. Why? Well sure I'm interested, I simply loved the Xcom games but I've been reading reviews and checking youtube and it seems quite a few people do have issues with its problems.

The other game, I found quite by accident and its very good indeed and more like the original Xcom game so that I did buy.

10. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    There's just no words to describe this!! Awesome, brilliant don't do this work of art justice. Excellent is an insult. Having a lot of fun with his. Had one crash to springboard at the beginning. Needs a bit more optimising on ipad 4 but no complaints here. Worth double the price.

11. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Well look at that, huge publishers helping to promote smaller indie games , think Aliens vs Humans sales will be boosted in next few days :)

To anyone who is concerned about slower framerate or "ugly" graphic, don't worry, it doesn't affect gameplay at all and graphic/ animations/ effects are all actually very good.If you like tactic and management games, get it now ( or on first sale ), I was one of people who started jabbing about slower framerate issue and feel obligated to end that concern here and now for everyone else.
    Also have high hopes for next update that they will add even more customization stuff and ofc multiplayer.

12. DtheGOPkiller

DtheGOPkiller Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I would have to kill you if I tell you.
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    Works great on my Minni

I have played for over four hours and zero crashes on my Minni. In fact works great. The graphics look good. Not infinity blade great but solid enough. I think some games look far better on the Minni due to the Minni having a tighter pixel count on a smaller screen. Unless you have the Retina iPad. It's the gameplay that amazes me. It's polished as heck and highly addictive and unique. Well worth the price tag. My only gripes are for twenty bucks the lips could move when people talk. And I would like to see some of the camera controls tightened. But all in all a amazing game. And I am running a iPad Minni and have had not one single issue.

13. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Gah! I knew I should have grabbed a twenty five dollar card! I was not going to get this, but now... Well, next time, I'll snag a card.

14. DtheGOPkiller

Aug 16, 2010
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    Your awesome! Best little clip response yet!

15. DtheGOPkiller

Aug 16, 2010
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    It plays amazing on my Minni. Really surprised actually. I was prepared for some crashes or a hot device or severe battery drain or really nasty frame rates or shoddy models. Nope. Looks great plays awesome and is worth every penny. Same with KOTOR. That game looks awesome on my Minni. The games we have now in these things is just crazy! And I LOVE my Minni. Perfect size. The larger iPads feel clumsy in my hands and hurt my wrists and are way less portable. I really cannot wait for the iPad Minni Retina! For size and price that Minni is the best tablet.

16. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    If you haven't bought this game, and haven't experienced how good, bad or otherwise the game is, I would suggest you refrain from trying to encourage people from buying it, especially when using sentences like this:

"A far better purchase than this fan-fleecing bugfest."

Especially when it's not true at all!
    And the YouTube videos I've watched and reviews I've read, both on this port and the original are for the vast majority overwhelmingly positive.

What your reasons behind trying to stop people from buying a game you haven't tried yourself is absolutely beyond me, but you just need to read the posts in this thread to find out that it's not a "bugfest", and a very good game to boot.

Now, I haven't tried "Aliens vs Humans", and even if I'd read an unfavorable review somewhere, it wouldn't prompt me to rush to the forums and cry foul and spread lies about it.

17. DtheGOPkiller

Aug 16, 2010
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    iPad Minni. ZERO crashes and plays great. Not one issue here. Love it! And price wise? Well if I go to a movie and get a coke and popcorn it's over $20. And for the right movie it's well worth it. Like WWZ? Yeah so worth high theater prices! Day one! And that entertains me for two hours. This game? Same price as that and I will get 20 times the entertainment time. It's a steal.

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #418 Rip73, Jun 20, 2013
    Best post EVER!!!

Finally someone who understands some of the things idevices do in the background (which makes console/vita/ps2/ps3/Xbox comparisons that you so commonly see here null and void).
    Idevices do a lot more stuff in the background on top of that but those tips are definitely very, very effective and very well thought out and expressed.

Thank you so much. I am very impressed.

Okay, back on topic (sudden sense of euphoria at very useful post behind me now).
    Games is running without any hitches for me on iPad 4 and iPhone 5. I know, its the top devices but still no framerate issues.
    I agree with many others on the point that it would be nice to see lip sync and shadows but to be fair the gameplay and immersion really makes up for it.
    iCloud was a bit of a problem at the beginning but seems to be okay now. iCloud tends to take a bit of time at a new launch to get its act together so there was no surprise there, but it seems to no problem now. I had similar icloud problems with Vice City and a few others on launch day as well but it has always settled in.

Nice to see your faith restored :)
    I'm eagerly anticipating its position on Monday morning (Sunday is the biggest download day of the week for some reason).
    Top ten on each chart (paid/grossing) is what I personally hope to see.
    (Insert appropriate fingers crossed very tightly gif)

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It's top 50 overall and top 30 in highest grossing apps in the US. So it seems to be doing well, but still Candy Crush Saga is, err, crushing it. So not sure faith should be restored quite yet. Still going to get mostly IAP eating free-to-play stuf as long as things like Candy Crush Saga are doing so well.

20. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #420 Alister, Jun 20, 2013
    @Rip73 I'd like to report on the US AppStore(iPad section) its now at 3rd place on the top paid and 5th on the top grossing aver-all..

You already got your wish...;)

It seems the iPad users are loving this very much..