Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I tried reading through the whole thread but got to the argument about PS3 power and lost the will to live. Therefore I'll just ask my probably already answered question here and ask for forgiveness after.

What is the installed size and what space am I needing to wifi install it? Bought it and sitting at work so figured I may as well use their connection then I can have a play when I go for my afternoon dump (I bet I've made at least one person grimace at that)! ;) But I need to do some juggling with space dependant on how much I'll need to download it straight to the device.

2. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

You'll need nearly 5gb to install it (I had 4.4 first time I tried and it failed right at the end when trying to decompress), and it will end up at 3.2gb installed.

Awesome game btw... stayed up a few hours too late last night playing!

Works dandy on my iPad4 and mini. Think I'm going to stick with bigger screen for this one mainly though :)

3. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    the game took me over 3G on iphone 4s and crushed everytime the squad tried to land in Germany (if you know what i mean). it's really devastating.

4. petcar

petcar Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah happened to me as well. Try closing all apps and reboot your iPad.

5. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Ouch, and thanks. Yeah I've played it on the Xbox, awesome game. Thought I was doing great as well until I realised I didn't have enough satellites and it went very bad very fast, love this game!

6. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Reporting from iPad 4.Minimal slowdowns only when there are complex animations like window breaking or knocking the door down.When moving there is a bit slowdown, but much less than I anticipated, doesn't hurt gameplay at all and you really won't notice it probably, I'm just nitpicking perfectionist ;)
    No problem with cutscenes and base management part is excellent, it's joy to look at animated and detailed base.
    There is some basic lightning in game, wish there was more advanced one to picture the atmosphere of game better.Other thing is lips of characters not moving when they talk, that's just weird to look at and a bit disappointing.
    Apart from that enjoying the game ,but I think it should have better settled into SE games price range with 15 $ .

7. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm playing on an iPad 3.

No lag.
    No chrashes two hours in.

Plays wonderful for me.

To all those that have issues with lag and chrashes, do what you always ought to so with demanding games:
    Reboot your device and more often than not, your problems will go away, or at the very least, minimize.

To those complaining that the game is missing graphical features and compares it to games like Nova 3 and Infinity Blade etc., this is a port, those games are written directly for idevices, there's a huge difference!

I've most certainly gotten my money's worth, that's for sure!

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This port is stupidly good and if you have a current gen iDevice and are not buying this for low texture resolutions, sound and whatnot, seriously...shut up.

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Thanks for the advice, tried restarting my 4s and it did help considerably. Not perfect but perfectly playable.

10. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Minor complaint, I know: I'd like an option to skip the intro video. But probably this won't make the app loading faster anyhow. Apart from that, plays fine on my iPad 2.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, the video's there because of the loading. It is skippable once the little turning icon in the lower left corner disappears though.

12. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#372 killercow, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Performance on the ipad 4 is better than expected and yeah I wish the lightning was better and that Lipsync would be on but as it stands it's an impressive port that will only get better when 2K starts updating the game and polishing it a bit more. For example I think the pinch to zoom and rotate gesture could be more freeform than they are now. It feels too restricted and needs to be more organic, more natural.

The core gameplay is still here and it's one of the most exciting turn based strategy game you can find so it's pretty much a no brainer.

Also those loadings are quite fast given that it's running on the UE!

Xcom is currently the 5th top paid app in my appstore and 13st in the top grossing list :)

13. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Glad I payed attention to the sane comments. Playing on my iPad 3. Always do a Hard Reboot before playing intense games like this and usually do so every three or four hours of game play. I'm over the moon with the result. All this on a device I can play on the patio on the train in bed etc. Oh and I can surf the net, send and read emails, look at photos, read books, comics magazines. Watch movie and TV. Read the Sydney Morning Herald and so no and so on. This is not a $3000 fully specced PC with all the fruit. But it's pretty damned awesome bit of tech. Show this to someone 10 years ago eh?

14. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Love this port! Graphics are far from ugly as some kiddies claim, but what do you expect when they grow up with vita and 3ds... sigh...

But i would love to know if i can change my armor color like on consoles. I couldnt figure it out.

15. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Now that's what I'm talking about!!Huzzah for iOS gaming!!!:)

16. Winko

Winko Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Downloaded through the night and played the first 2 levels on my ipad 2.
    Seems smooth so far. Loving this already just wish I had the room on my 4s to put it there as well.
    Also never having played the game on my Xbox I have no graphic comparisons. But the graphics seem fairly good to me . Plus the gameplay more than makes up for it

So glad the game is doing well on the App Store.

So far 5 stars all the way.

17. projectmoonlightcafe

projectmoonlightcafe Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Crashes in my iPad 3 at the end of the tutorial. Anyone else experience this?

Edit: going to try to reboot as suggested by previous poster

18. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Which sucker didn't give this game a 5 star.. Pfftt!!!

19. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    Can't wait to get home today and start this. I played the console version and the PC version but this type of game really resonates with me on a mobile device.

20. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    I played the PC version too, never finished it but enjoyed it.

I would like it on my ipad but I'm not paying that much, a sale would be cool. 50% off and I might be tempted.