Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    I'm rather conflicted about purchasing this, as I have been trying to support "Aliens Versus Humans", which up till tonight was the only "X-com" type game in the store. That being said, I love the Xbox 360 version, and can't pass on the chance to have a portable version.

Does anyone know how much free space is REALLY needed to install the game?

Are the action cams and lighting effects still present? What aspects of the game have been scaled back? I'm talking graphics and music.

2. VinceS

VinceS Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Game Impressions

Doesn't run well on my iPad 3.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    What device do you have?

4. Boomwolf

Boomwolf Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Texas
    I have an IPhone five, and I've managed to free up 3.3 gigs so far.

5. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Game Impressions

bought it and now it's making me want to go back to the pc version. There's nothing exactly wrong with this port but my expectations were way to high to even think this was going to have comparable graphics and the cinematic action moments (like jumping through a window) from the PC/console versions. I don't have an issue with paying a premium price for great games, but on the iOS, you can't realistically expect all your favorite games to work on newer OS versions years down the road. When 3 years pass I can expect to play X-com on my PC but who knows if this will work with iOS 9? I will give credit to Rockstar though who has been updating their games to work on newer versions, but most big publishers seem to release the game and re assign the developers to new projects leaving the apps un updated after a few months.

6. anwar79

anwar79 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Instabuy. It's decently playable on iPhone 5. Which is awesome.

Installed from iTunes syncing from PC, it shows 3.5GB required.

It's a great game so far. This month has seen a lot if great games.

I might be biased because I love the Xcom universe. Also liked Human vs Aliens from an indie perspective but this is the real deal. I already have the PC version but still support this initiative if it helps with Premium console level games on iOS.

Hope this game does well so that other developers follow up and do the same.

7. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I was very worried about getting this game because of frame rate issues. Played the first 2 missions and am very happy. Using ipad 3, while the frame rate does drop at some points, button, movement, and panning are very good. Not 100% but very far from unplayable. I can't speak to other devices but on ipad 3 this game is awesome.

8. PrimeNemesis

PrimeNemesis New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Indeed. My iPod is sucking down the MBs eager to complete the download. This is gonna be awesome.

9. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    It's great on the i5 mate. I've been playing all day and its shmick. Obviously be aware that the textures take a hit, we are minus a few maps and mp is yet to come. Other than that its goddamn Xcom on your goddamn phone! :)

Edit: sorry forgot to answer your questions. Action cams are all there. Sound is fine but takes a hit but nothing game breaking.

10. anwar79

anwar79 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    For the person asking, it shows 3.2GB used on the phone.

Plays very well on iPhone 5 amazingly... Even on the small screen.

11. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Appreciate you posting that. I was really wondering how it would look/play on my iPad 3.

12. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    When the mp drops for this its going to be awesome. TA Death Squads!

13. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    textures take hit
    lip not moving when talking
    no real time light and weather effect
    the action cam is there but i think not all of it, in the video there isn/t an action cam for breaking through windows and door...
    but i haven't finished downloading here just check out the video ipad vs ps3 version of XCOM, go back a few pages and you'll find it

14. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    So far I love the icon but that may soon change with ios 7 I Have never played XCOM before so its all new to me. I'm playing on an ipad 4. The aliens are what I love most so far. I'm not sure what to do or where to go just trying to stay behind over.

I'm always highly critical of games so my first impression is that I am happy I bought it because I like the alien invading concept, I like strategy games and so far its done a very good job of making me feel happy about spending the $20.

Graphics wise its good for an ios premium game. Control wise I'm still fumbling with my own ignorance so I can't pass a judgement on controls yet.

The CLASS of the devs SHINES in this game. They have gone against the ios grain and released a full premium high quality game with a justifiable COMPLETE price with NO IAP!! So once you have paid that's it! ENJOY HASSLE FREE!!

I would much rather devs cut out all the crap nonsense and give us high quality games complete because any game that has IAP has its gameplay and mechanics tweaked to solicit purchases so the gameplay is manipulated. I highly recommend these devs be supported as they are giving us the real unadulterated original and not a watered town version with umpteen dozen manipulations via IAP's. Well done. I salute the devs!!

15. knowsnothing

knowsnothing Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Not available in china App Store :-( not a good sign... Wish I had US credit card

16. Krebmart

Krebmart Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Purchased within minutes of release. The game runs very well on my iPad 4 and looks fantastic.

As a TBS vet, I went for classic difficulty. On my third mission, suffered a full squad kill. I think I have found my new favorite game!

17. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    hope there will be more great port in the future
    but let's hope that shity game dev doesnt make a premium price for crap game.....

I live in indonesia (south east asia) using US itunes Account
    you can just buy an itunes gift card

18. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Interested to know if its just China and Russia who don't have it

19. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Are you implying sumthin?LOL :p

20. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    i have been reading this thread all day with anticipation to play this, all the worries of lowered res and bad framerate i heard were unfounded for me.

On Ipad 3 i haven't had a stutter or anything, and i can barely tell the difference between the ps3 version (which i have logged 15 hours over the last few days) and this one. also i cannot tell that the sound is of poor quality either, so if you have any hesitations about it being an inferior port job. other than the missing content im totally stoked, beyond my expectations.

also i like they way that you have to click outside of your move radius to do the dash, quite a few times on the ps3 have i wasted turns for a tiny bit of space, or not being careful.