Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It's a pointless comparison anyway, the PS3 was always able to cache data to the HDD (unlike the opposition), which confuses things tenfold.

2. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Fair enough. I'll do the same. Sorry about getting nosy.

3. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    wow im doing the opposite ipad 4 to ipad mini, becaue the size is to big for me, ipad mini is perfect for reading and on the go gadget, wished apple will update the ipad mini with more powerfull spec and retina display :D

here we go again another pointless debate
    guys it's Xcom thread not ps3 spec sheet thread

when will the US appstore got this somebody can gimme approximation how many hors of waiting :p

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    It will available at 11pm EST in the US.

5. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I wonder, if this was made for iPhone 5 and iPad 4 only, maybe they can do a direct 1:1 port with all graphic options?

6. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    This. Thread. Blows.

7. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    So what we are saying is I should buy this for my iPhone 5?
    Even if I have it on PC but have no motivation to play?

8. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Well alot of people are gonna be pretty unhappy if they buy a 20$ game for their Ipad mini or IPod touch 5th gen and then have it not work.

The thread probly wouldn't suck if there werent a bunch of people trying to find out if the game can work on their device of not.

It's not like we're talking about it not running on a 3GS, were talking about devices that have never had a problem playing a game before.

All I have to go by is 1 person saying its sucks on an iPod 5th gen...

I wish TA would have atleast tested it on the mini and iPod 5th gen and put that in the review.

Instead we have this... :/

9. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
  10. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    "As for a "port report" since everyone's asking about how it performs on various devices: we're pretty pleased with the game's performance on iPad mini, iPhone 5, and iPad 4. Smooth framerates and everything. The installed game takes up about 3.5 GBs of space, so clear some room."

This is how the end of the review or preview ends. Yet people here have posted stuff that contradicts this. If it plays fine on an iPad mini then I would have expected it be the same for the iPod touch 5.

So I don't know what to do, I guess the only way to figure out is to buy the game.

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I agree but since I'm the only one here that has tested on the iPodTouch5, maybe I just have something up with my device. It could possibly work on yours (and everyone else's). However this is the only game I've come across on my iPod that has crashed so frequently. And judging from other sentiments, this doesn't seem like it'd be a surprise.

If it ran smooth as butter on all the high end devices then I'd say there's something up with my device itself. Sigh... I was THIS close to having a playable XCOM on my iPod :(

12. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Guess ill just wait for more impressions...

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Everyone that owns an iPad should be abundantly clear with the understanding of one simple fact:

Just because a device supposedly has better specs, or equivalent specs, doesn't even come close to giving the whole picture. It doesn't automatically make a device better or worse.

Xcom looks as good as it could based on all the factors in play. There it is, warts and all, for us to enjoy.

For me, $20 for a less than perfect way of playing a very complex and highly regarded game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I want to go download Xcom!!

14. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Launched?

15. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcom-enemy-unknown/id639544885?mt=8

16. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    Woah thanks for that. I've been humming and hawwing all morning should I shouldn't I? Looking at those screenshots I'm going to say yes. My iPad 3 looks like it will handle it. My guess is a lot of the negative is because people DL it then run it. Personally with intense games I always remove all the wiggly multitasking icons at the bottom then do a hard reset then turn it back on and play. It seems to make a big difference. I do that after about an hour of gameplay too to clear the cache or whatever. My WHQ plays much better that way too.

17. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    i am just downloading now!

i just wish i could have my save from the ps3, cause i have put in about 15 or 20 hours since it went free. doing great, got 2 psionics and low overall alerts...

oh well looks like im going to try ironman.

18. slowpc

slowpc Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Yep, downloading it right now on my iphone 5 and my ipad mini as we speak.

19. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Been playing for a couple hours on my ipad 2 seems to be running great so far. As someone above mentioned make sure you do a hard reset after downloading and exit any other apps that may be running.

20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

So.... Slow.... Internet - BE MORE FASTER!!