Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Quoted for truth.

2. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Quoted for truth again.

3. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Much respect for your reply and yes I agree my ip5 will handle this like a beast ...but I still will drop it ony ipad2 just because its a TBS gem and I love them on a touchscreen ...
    Thx again

4. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    #204 Mattosai, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

I may be wrong but i think TA are getting the games before the official release date as it's the case with most videogame websites for test and critic purposes (release candidate version - or beta testing until release)

5. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    So should I buy this one, or "Aliens versus Humans"? I think the latter is a very good original XCom clone too, with the advantage of file size, but worse graphics. Anyone played both?

6. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    just for the record, these were issues in the pc/mac version as well. the camera was always wonky.

7. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    HOW MUCH!!

Ye gods no, I'll wait for a sale or promo.

Wake me up when its $2

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Eli already mentioned that TA has no embargo since 2k no longer has talks with them. They grabbed it as soon as it went live in NZ and are able to put up a review as soon as they want instead of waiting fir the US release.

On another note: while a full review of the port SOUNDS like a good idea it would be an awful lot of work and the reviewer would have to know the pc version really well in order to give meaningful insight on what was different/missing.

You know what I'd like to see? When a big game like this comes out TA should sync it with every device they have and put up a chart on how well it runs. Now that would be useful

9. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    yes, that also made my brain hurt.

10. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Personally I don't care about low res textures or shaders, I'm worried about frame rate issues. I saw the ipad3 vs ps video, and while it appeared to play well it did look, at some points, that the screen was stuttering. So how bad is the frame rate on ipad3?

11. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I don't understand why frame rate is such a critical issue in a turn-based game. What am I missing?

12. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    thumbs up, +1, like, "quoted for truth", etc. whatever floats your boat.

13. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Finally almost downloaded. I'll boot it up on my i5 and ipad 2 for comparison.

Just incase others hadn't heard the dev specifically said that the mp is def coming in a update.

So amped!!

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Man, on the ipod touch 5g this is really disappointing.

Not only has it crashed twice in the tutorial but then it plays like it's laggy/has frame rate issues the entire time. A game like this should run smooth to get the full effect but when it feels like it could crash anytime cuz it can't handle well it really bothers me in how much time I want to put into this, especially with all those long load times.

I cleared up a lot of space for it and I really wanted to like it but right now it's not looking too good. Hopefully it'll run well on more powerful devices.

15. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    :( That sucks. Guess I'll wait on this one...

16. Coflash

Coflash New Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Game Impressions

Frame rates are somewhat smooth at times, but not at all times, no way.

When I move or go to move (on my iPad 4) it seems to drop to 10-15FPS. This is very common, especially when effects are in view or when I am zoomed out.

There are definitely FPS issues. If people really want to dispute it I will take a video, but apart from this issue it feels like a solid port to me.

17. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Hmmm, hi guys. jailbroken iphone here. I was wondering about something while still questionning myself about the purchase: given that its a straight port, does anybody know if you can take sound files from the original game and replace those trimmed-down ones you're all talking about among various things ? I mean I know where they are on PC and if only the bitrate as been tweaked and not names, it can totally work, right ?

18. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Even in a turn based game it sucks playing a game when your imputs don't register right away. For me it takes your focus away from the game.

19. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks.

As long as its not constant, like pressing a button then waiting several seconds before it responds. I'm going to get it for sure, hopefully they can smooth out the issues in an update.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Exactly. It just feels off when it's not working/feeling as smooth as it should. And it somewhat "prolongs" battles since it's not working as fast as it could.

---

Anyhow on my ipod touch 5G I give up on this game. I hard reset the device thinking that'd stop the crashes but it went a LITTLE further than last and crashed. This mainly happens when it transitions to a cutscene it seems. Anyhow, I think I'll just put all my old games back on and delete this.

Really bummed though.. I was so excited for this since the release and it feels like I'm using an old iPod touch 4G (where newer games would always randomly crash with memory issues). I'm thinking this game is actually too powerful for a touch device. I can't justify keeping a 3+gb game on here when it barely works. I do hope they fix this in the future.