Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Who cares. To the mass market consumer that they're hitting with their videos the two versions of the game are identical. You're getting all worked up like this is the worst port ever. It's not, it's really good. Of course it's not a 1:1 duplicate of the PC version running on some high-end gaming rig. I don't think anyone realistically expected that on any level.

2. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Agreed.

Pity really that there seems to be a backlash against what could well be the most important release this year so far. In many ways more than just the game itself, which is itself awesome anyway.
    Oh well.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

To be fair I can count the number of people who are pissed about this on one, maybe two fingers.

4. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    This is starting to remind of the whole Might and Magic Clash of Heroes port to iOS. I bought it on release based on all the glowing reviews that appeared on 'reputable' sites wiithin hours of its release. Turn out it was a buggy, almost unplayable mess on iOS.

Are we looking at something similar here???????

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Fair enough.

I personally got exactly what I wanted and am extremely happy to have XCom (albeit a slightly different one in the least important ways, to me at least) in my pocket (and iPad).

It is just that this one I really do want to see succeed. For numerous different reasons.

6. Axedatta

Axedatta Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Anyone else worried that if this game sells well on the app store for $20, then IAP heavy companies like Gameloft will see this and think the $20 price point is valid ALONG with IAP. I just shudder to think of the next Dungeon Hunter riddled with IAP at $18 to $20.

7. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback mate :)
    Can't wait till midnight for this!

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'm not mad. I just feel as though this isn't worth it for me. I never said it was a poor port, I said it was lacking in some areas that are important to me. Maybe I'll pick this up later, when my backlog isn't so big and I have some more personal time on my hands.

Please don't generalize me or other who might feel the same way into the Sidgoku category.

9. THFourteen

THFourteen Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Best point of the thread IMO.

10. Flare_TM

Flare_TM Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for the clarification, looks like I'm waiting for the price drop.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I got suckered in by M&MC as well. But I still own it for NDS so I thought that it'd be perfect if the controls were done well... Minutes after downloading I was on the forums warning others that it wasn't a port worthy of the content.

Thats what I like about the forums and why I've been here for so long. After the game releases worldwide we'll start seeing real opinions from real gamers on their wide variety of devices. No amount of fluff can hide that.

12. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I appreciate the candid responses, and as much as I LOVE IOS gaming I might just go ahead and get PSN+ and play this for free. I mean I'm going to have it anyways for PS4, and this type of game might be better suited to a bigger screen and I've got no 'pad' and a crappy pc.

13. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Why is the framerate so poor even after they "optimized" it and removed most of textures and eye candy ?
    I won't pay 20 $ for game that runs on 18 FPS , poor framerate is a deal breaker no matter how good whole game is.

14. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    And you already have a review out?

This says a lot about reviews around here I guess.

15. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ever since the Might and Magic debacle I usually hold off for a few days before buying anything to see the reaction on here first. I always find it a bit odd to look at the glowing critics reviews quoted on Might and Magics App Store page and contrast them with the reviews from the forums and user reviews. Rarely have I seen such a contrast :)

I might just go ahead and get Warhammer Quest and wait til the dust settles on this one. Although I am still really interested in getting my hands on it.

16. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Reading the TA review, it's only the penultimate paragraph that appears to be specifically about the iOS version, as the rest sounds like it's reminiscing about the game on whatever previous platform(s) the reviewer has played it on. The part about Ironman mode being a favourite, although not yet played to completion, doesn't sound like the result of a couple of hours on a recently released iPad version.

That last but one paragraph is quite short, pretty much just saying this: "The more I look at the game, the more I'm noticing bits and pieces of asset compression, which makes it look like a "low res" port. As for actual problems, moving soldiers into buildings is pretty rough. The camera doesn't clip through walls very well."

Maybe do a full review of the iOS version, not the version you remember from other platforms?

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It's the same game.

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I just can't wait to get my jet-pack sniper! :D

19. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    Same could be said about Minecraft though which I also purchased. Personally after 5 years I'm tired of $1 time wasters. I embrace the effort they have made with the hope that'll encourage others to bring dare I say "real games" to IOS.

Ten years ago we were all playing snake & tetris on our phones. To have a game of this caliber on my phone and ipad is a big deal, to me atleast. Sure, the textures don't look as good as the console version but who really expected that? The PC install is 12.8 gigs... getting the game down to 3.2 gigs and running on my phone which I always have with me is amazing imho.

Think about it

20. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Thx for the answer Bool.