Xcloud + ios

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mr. Charley, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Anyone know if there is any app to “trick” my iphone into being an android device to be able to play xcloud? :)

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think you might be able to run xCloud on a fairly crappy (cheap) Android phone, but don't quote me on that. Defeats the purpose as you'll have to carry around another device, but maybe on iOS by jailbreaking? I can't imagine any scenario where Android would run on an iOS device (if even possible) decently.

3. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Yeah thanks. Not interested in jail breaking at all. I’ll consider an android tablet as my replacement for my iPad moving forward. I’m getting tired of Apple’s closed walled system and feeling like a second class citizen to other services like cloud gaming

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Xcloud for iOS is in beta and should be coming soon. At this point you can do Luna, Stadia, and GeForce Now on an iPhone/iPad.

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
  6. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #6 JasonLL, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Just tried it out and it’s not too bad. Still a lot of work to do to catch up with Stadia as far as feeling like a ultra responsive seamless experience but that may come in time.

Good things first:
    — Just purchased three months of gamepass for one dollar which is a fantastic promotion. Even if Xcloud isn’t the greatest right now I definitely can’t argue with the value of the promotional offer.

— The visuals kinda surprised me. I was expecting a lot worse but the two games I’ve tried Skyrim and Edith Finch looked surprisingly good (Skyrim though looked a bit better)

— There are some really cool games on xcloud. Definitely can see myself delve further into their cloud offerings as xcloud improves.

Bad things:
    — Noticeable input delay with touch and Xbox controller. For me this is the biggest minus so far. Playing Skyrim felt super janky on my Xbox controller when my inputs weren’t lining up with what was happening on screen. Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t a huge input lag but noticeable enough to throw me off and it felt like my character was walking around drunk.

— Connection isn’t as consistent as the Google Stadia connection. While xcloud performs better than GeForce Now did for me there were certainly times where it would stutter and this was with only me using the internet. Stadia has performed flawlessly with others in my family watching a 4K movie stream in the other room. I would be surprised if xcloud would even work at all if my internet was being used by other people in the house. Of course depending on where you live connection issues will vary.

7. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Holy crap is xcloud horrible on ios in comparison to Stadia. What a freaking disappointment! Ridiculous lag/latency.
    Weirdest thing though is that it does run perfectly on my iphone that is still on os 14.4.2 but runs like absolute dog poop on my ipad on os 14.6.

I wish I understood the experimental features as some are not available/the same on both os versions and I feel like the fix is somewhere in there. I mean if it runs perfectly on my iphone I should expect it to run just as smooth on my ipad (even if my ipad is older) since it’s in the cloud....
    I don’t get it. But it’s completely unplayable on my ipad. Wish I was exaggerating but I’m not

8. Petr Thomas

Petr Thomas Active Member

May 25, 2021
    Male
    Digital Marketer
    United Arab Emirates
    Trying out free and cheap applications doesn't work that properly for long use.