Xbox 360 RRoD or not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by iSwiss, Oct 6, 2010.

1. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Hello everbody

So i turned my Xbox 360 on to play Guitar Hero 6. In the startscreen the screen ****ed up(there were some stripes on it). So i turned the Xbox off.. and again on.. Then my Xbox went red. 3/4 of it...

I turned it off and shouted:rolleyes: after 5 minutes I turned it on again and It worked...

Does anybody know what the problem is?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That was RROD. It'll happen again eventually, only next time it'll stay like that. Could be a couple of days, could be a couple of months. The messed up screen was likely due to a damaged GPU or something, possible caused by the motherboard warping because of the heat.

3. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    One time my power went out and my xbox and TV went out with it. When I turned the xbox back on the next day it was RROD. I was so mad, but I unplugged it, plugged it back in. Booted it up and it was fine. Never RROD'ed once again. That was a year and a half ago. *shrugs*

4. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Hmm I hope my Xbox 360 will be finde when FIFA 11 arrives:rolleyes:

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    RROD is pretty ambiguous. There's lots of problems and solutions associated with it, and not all of them work for certain reasons. If your Xbox continues to have RROD for a while after turning it on and off, give the towel trick a shot. The first time I tried it, it worked for a week or so then RROD'd on me. I tried it immediately after, and it's been working for the most part ever since. Any other problems I've had with it have been fixed through the towel trick.

It's kind of weird, but if none of the solutions you find online work, just send it to Microsoft, assuming you still have a warranty.

6. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Naah unfortunately no warranty.. Bought it in the release year of the console.. The very old one:rolleyes:

7. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    If it keeps up, try the towel trick, as well as other solutions out there. Your console is out of warranty, so you have nothing to lose.

8. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    #8 Electric_Shaman, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    RROD only indicates a general hardware failure. It could be as simple as a loose connection, so check all the connections at the back first. But normally, it happens once like this, and then will get more frequent until it sticks.

There's not much you can do, until it happens again, but please do not listen to randomguy's advice, doing the towel trick will only make things worse in the long run, it will damage more components that it helps, if any.

When you do get the red rings again, you need to find out your secondary error code. You can only get it when your console has RROD.
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726
    There's a good guide there, just scroll down to "Secondary Error Codes". It involves pressing the sync and eject buttons simultaneously, which will make the lights change position, which translates to either 0, 1, 2 or 3. You can then construct an error code, and find the code in the same guide.

In the mean time, just make sure the console is well ventilated, and isn't near a heat source like a radiator or something.
    And don't do the towel trick. There are plenty of other ways to deal with a RROD, the towel trick is just easy and provides short term results, but can cause terminal damage to the console.

9. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Stripes on the screen usually means there is a ram error. Make sure it wasn't something with your connections. Unplug everything and make sure there secure.

10. drfaygo

drfaygo Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I would not suggest doing the towel trick without having done the penny trick first. I too have a release xbox 360 that's died on me twice already. I sent it to someone on craigslist to fix the first time and the second time I fixed it myself. Believe me, your console has plenty of years ahead of itself if your problem really is just with the ram chips.

11. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    If you're going to do the "penny trick", you may as well just do an x-clamp fix, I really don't see the point of going to all the effort of opening the console for the first time, then sticking pennies in it just to save a couple of bucks on an x-clamp kit.

Of course, that's all assuming the console is eligible for an x-clamp.

12. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    My problem seems to be a bit strange.

Yesterday I turned on the console.. Was able to see the xbox screen fo 5 minutes or so, but then there were strips on the screen and nothing worked anymore. Turned off the console - RRoD. Turned it on again after 5 min - it worked fine.

Today exactly the samething..

13. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I think it is time to get a new one, my friend.

14. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Man thats Fcking shit.. Two weeks ago my iPhone lost sound for ever and no my xbox 360 is sick.

At least they're both not completely death:rolleyes:

15. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Positive way of looking at things. If it's any consolation, my HDMI ports are shot on my TV and the only thing that works is my Xbox on them, but it takes 5 minutes to connect to the TV and then I don't have any sound. I have to play with RCA cables :( LOL

16. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    And mine finally died for good today. I just turned it on after school today, and within seconds of hitting the power button, it went to the RROD, as opposed to at first when it took a minute or so first. I tried the towel trick a couple of times today, and nothing. Any other solutions that don't void my warranty? Otherwise, I give up, and I'm just sending it in to Microsoft.

Eh, I need a new Xbox anyway. It's been having a lot of problems lately, the power button doesn't always work like it should, and I have to hit the Xbox to get the tray to open.

I just wish Microsoft had taken the time in the first place to build a console that didn't suffer from such a simple, yet destructive problem. It seems like they should have forseen something like this before release, and have taken some time to fix it.

And I was planning on playing Dead Rising 2 and Modern Warfare 2 with my friend today... :(

17. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    And continues to have that problem. I don't think it finally exsists with the new slim xboxs but come on... took em this f*cking long?

18. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    The same company that made computers what they are today for the most part can't even put together a simple video game console without it breaking... Kinda weird, don'tcha think?

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Money. Pure and simple.

20. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I don't know... you figure that a company like Microsoft could afford to spend a few extra bucks to make a console that works... Sometimes, people just get too money hungry.