iPad X-Plane OVERPRICED !?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jack000, Jan 23, 2009.

1. jack000

jack000 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    don't you think that x-plane is a little overpriced,
    i mean first we got x-plane for $9,99

then all of a sudden expecting an update with new aircrafts we got
    x-plane airliner and x-plane helicopter each for $9,99

what comes next? x-plane jets? there was something metioned about that.

don't get me wrong, i love x-plane, but when i see that i'm gonna have to pay $9,99 for each part of the game, i wonder if it's appropriate.
    what do we get for $9,99? 4-6 planes and a map that has even boardes. sorry the desktop version costs 39 $, comes with about 40 aircrafts.
    the scenery is the entire planet earth and even mars scenery, 18.000 airports, aircraft carrier and EVEN the spaceship.

but instead of updating one program that costs 9,99 now it's almost $30 for all three apps and when the next part comes it will be the next 9,99 and then we reach the price of the desktop version ($39). i don't find it appropriate at all and either they lower the price or they definetely add more features. 9,99 for one app is ok, 30 that you pay for three apps if you're flight enthusiastic that include stuff for one app is a no go. there are better apps in the appstore but i haven't found one yet that splits the whole program in different parts.

so tell me what you think..

2. Last Gatsby

Last Gatsby Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Wow, when did those get a price increase? Airliner and Helicopter used to be $5.99.

3. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    X-Plane Hudson River.

4. mek

mek Well-Known Member

talk to austin

i finally buckled and purchased X-plane, after i saw the price of the airliner and heli skyrocket up to 9.99 from 5.99..or was it 4.99

i mean its okay, as long as he keeps his promise of free updates for all of the apps spontaneously, which means he will prob. keep releasing more broken apps and not a one package deal

i wish he would clean up his descriptions, they are very misleading saying you get all the maps, like NYC, Cali, hawaii, etc. then saying as a total of all the apps..but in each app, you only get four

i wont buy the others until it all settles down

5. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I think price increased after the recent update that added more locations. It sells for the price it sells because there is no competition really and people are buying it. I would say it is worth if it the simulator had any points of interest such as landmarks, real life buildings, etc. Even though the sim might be very realistic as far as flying goes on a handheld, there isn't much else to it. I want to start the app and tell myself "Lets check out Eiffel Tower right now", or whatever else. Hopefully they are working on that.

6. Snotfist

Snotfist Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I have all three and hope and pray daily for another flight sim game to be released to form a little competion.

7. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Right now the dev has no competition and can do whatever he wants. I dislike the lack of buildings and such in the game, but when theres no other option the dev has total control over what type of game or games to create.

8. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    I'm hoping this is either a joke post or it's laminar testing the water to see what people think

personally I think getting a pretty-much full featured flight simulator running very well on iPhone is great work and the current prices represent tremendous value

but hey, apparently anything costing more than 99c/59p is outrageous and tantamount to a breach of everyone's human rights ... whatever

9. Brendonian

Brendonian Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Good grief people. These apps are astounding value for money. If you don't like them, don't buy them. That's all there is to it.

10. mitrezom

mitrezom Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    These would be worth 29.99 apiece for the amount of work that's gone into them...

11. jack000

Jan 6, 2009
    no joke. didn't you get it? how can u call it "full-featured"?? that's the point.. it's far away from full-featured! as i said with the next part we reach the price of the FULL DEKTOP VERSION that costs $ 39, so we should get some more stuff than what the app offers.

oh we did buy them already!

12. jack000

Jan 6, 2009
    QUOTE (austin):
    Within 2 minutes, our contact at Apple came down the lobby to get us and bring us to the office that would be our home for the next 7 days as we cranked out the iPhone version of X-Plane on an absurdly tight schedule. Here is the deal: Apple had a Keynote coming up in about 10 days, and wanted to have X-Plane ready to present there, and neither Ben nor I had ever tried to program anything for an iPhone before. Could we get X-Plane into an iPhone in only 10 days? Steve Jobs himself, Leader of Apple, wanted to have a suite of programs ready in only 7 days to present at the keynote, and we had NO PROOF AT ALL that the job even COULD be done... in ANY time-frame! The next 7 days were, to say the least, 'interesting'. Ben and I had an office right in the middle the 'hive-mind', right alongside all the engineers at Apple.

they had one week..ok they worked hard but thats relative. if you have one full desktop version ready and just need to transform it for the iphone, it's less difficult than creating a whole new game.

but thats not the point, its just about the comparison: desktop version vs. iphone version. $ 30 for some aircrafts and maps with boarders and no landmarks is way too much!

13. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.

14. jack000

Jan 6, 2009

15. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    i guess most people aren't willing to pay full price for a game on a phone. Everyone i know who has a touch/iphone will not pay even 0.99 for any app. So really you have to find your target market and price your product for them.

People who love flight sims are more likely to pay the 9.99 for each game them someone who could care less about flight sims or even games on their iphone/touch

if you think about he only has to sell one app to make $10, where someone who prices their game at $1 has to sell 10. or someone who prices it at $2 has to sell 5.

16. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    To try and calm the situation, just ask for a package deal! I'm sure the dev will listen to you!