iPad X-Plane is no longer the only flight sim... (Wings)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by vaelsh, Oct 28, 2008.

1. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
  2. TSP

TSP Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Male
    Teacher.
    Sweden
    Does not look like a flight sim at all. Looks more like some kind of relaxation app where you fly over snowy mountains, no signs of any real controls on the screenshots. Will be interesting to see what you think about it.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm really curious about this. If anyone makes or finds a video of it, I'd love to see it. I love X-Plane, but I'm not exactly a flight simulator fan, so something completely fake looking wouldn't bother me at all.

4. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Looks good. Hmm... I'm not expecting it to be full-featured, but for $1.99, I'm tempted to try it out. The price/feature ratio was the only thing holding me back from the original X-Plane. I'll probably wait for a good review or two just to make sure it's not a buggy or utterly crappy program before giving it a try.

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    If they make the graphic as awesome as Kroll or NFS, I actually prefer this to X-Plane. I just wanna fly in free mode, and this suits me.

Now I'll be waiting for Wave Race 64 free mode for iPhone.

6. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    Our video of this should be up tomorrow, in HD and regular flavors.

7. This does look really nice. However I am rather dubious. It doesn't say anything about different planes (or even what the plane is if there is only one), realistic flight controls, or even if you can actually LAND anywhere!
    Part of what makes X-Plane fun for me is landing the plane in various conditions- it can actually be quite tense, and you need a steady hand. If this app doesn't allow you to land anywhere then I won't bother.
    Their website isn't much help either.

8. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It seems it doesn't offer anymore than X-Plane, but is aimed at people who think X-Plane is too technical. It may not be for me then, but I'm still curious.

9. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    #9 alza, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    Review

Bought Wings. Curiosity got the better of me.
    No plane, it's like you're basically just moving through the air, across mountains and valleys.
    There're two modes - float and flight. Float is the same as flight, only slower. Also, I think the controls are inverted for one and not the other. Flight mode seemed much more interesting to me tho. Controls somehow seem fairly tight, even though there's no way to see your craft.
    There are four locations (Read: four different colours of terrain).
    This is NOT a flight sim... more like a relaxation app I would say. There's no take-off and landing, and no real aircraft.
    As boring and pointless as it all sounds, I actually like this app.
    It's really relaxing, and I've already got more peaceful enjoyment from it than I did from X-Plane.
    That said, its really not a game - get X-Plane for any sort of challenge.
    But if you are interested in a sort of peaceful flight/float app, this is it ;)
    In summary: not much to it, no challenge, but if you're in the market for some simple relaxing fun, check it out.
    It does what it is trying to do (not much at all) well - especially at $2.50

10. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Oh and you can't land to answer your question. If you hit the ground, it simply vibrates and you keep going. No control over speed at all either.
    Hope that helps

11. Thank you VERY much Alza. I know not to bother with it now- my suspicions are now confirmed. It's not really something I'd be too bothered about myself.

12. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Yeah I don't know if I'd still buy it after having played it. Not a huge point to it. I like games to have some sort of goal - this should really be in the entertainment section of the app store I think.
    That said, it is rather hypnotic lol

13. Actually you're right- it shouldn't be in the Game section at all if there is no goal, and no way of failing. Even X-Plane has a way of failing in it- for example if you crash into the ground or you miss the runway.

14. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Yeah I just edited my previous post to try and make this clearer.
    If anyone buys this as a game, they will be pretty disappointed I suspect

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    They have a couple reviews in the US store that are clearly written by them. Judging by what they say ("...a refreshing full screen intuitive flight experience. I can't wait to see what else these guys come out with.") they have more apps planned.

16. Surprise surprise!! Price drop to $0.99/59p!

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I think it's worth trying for $.99.

eh, maybe not.

18. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I'd get it for 99 cents. Trust me, because I already got it for more ;)

19. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I tried it. It's actually pretty interesting. It's definitely not a real flight sim, but it's a nice concept. It feels like you're flying over the Rockies.

The startup screen says "mountain edition," so I assume they're coming out out with different versions. I'd be willing to buy an underwater version, personally. This is kind of meant to be a relaxing app, but I think moving around the ocean would be work even better.

I can honestly say I'm curious about what these guys are going to come out with.

20. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    It's peaceful hey. "moving around" as you put it is exactly what you do. I found a really cool deep valley on the first map, satisfying. Even though there is no real goal, I just realised I've played this more than a lot of other games I bought. That's definitely a positive thing