iPad X Plane Helicopter: $4.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by superbad, Dec 16, 2008.

1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
  2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
  3. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm very interested. I mentioned Sim Copter a while ago, and this looks pretty fun.

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Man I'm a sucker for flying games!!!!!

5. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Oooh!!!! I think I might just bite to nab this!!! But probably abit later tho.
    Laminar has never reduced it's price so I can wait until I'm ready to splash five bucks and have enough time to play before getting this. Right now I only have enough personal time to play short games from ng:como at the moment. Not even got past the first two levels of Warfare Inc yet!!!

6. I'm actually quite disappointed that he has been spending his time on this new app, when he could have been updating X-Plane, adding the Grand Canyon to that instead, and perhaps having taxi jobs, more planes etc etc.

7. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    im not. new app, more money

congrats on mod. who else is mod? you and NotYou lolz. get it?

8. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    It is amazing what some of these devs are fittnig into such a small mb file size, 7.6 megs.

9. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    #9 Chiller ONE, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    Are you just flying around in this game or are you actually doing something? :confused:

10. By the sounds of the description, just flying around. This is why I am disappointed. Rather than have two 'games' where you just fly and land, he could have put more into the one game to make that one better instead.
    I actually don't play X-Plane anymore. I used to love it, but unless you are an aviator it gets boring fast.
    Wouldn't it be good to have taxi jobs to earn money, so you can save up for more planes, and then save up to pay for the license to fly in new locations? Having a goal like that would make all the difference. Instead he has done the same app all over again but with a heli instead. Yawn.

11. Brendonian

Brendonian Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I think these apps are amazing! I agree that some kind of missions would help to make them more agreeable to gamers, but you have to accept that they're simulations, not games in the traditional sense. If you need a goal in X-Plane, try something like this: Set the time of day to night, set the weather to heavily overcast, set a bit of a crosswind/turbulence, and the visibility to less than 1 mile. Now try landing using the navigation aids :D

How can you yawn at the idea of a helicopter (well, 4 different helis including a Blackhawk and a Sea King!) instead of a plane? The flight experience is massively different. I'm pretty good at flying and landing the plane, but the helicopter is a completely different challenge.

Incidentally, at start-up, X-Plane Heli says that "X-Plane Airliner" is available in the app store. I can't find it, or any more info about it. Does anybody know anything?

12. I used to set a random flight, which often had bad light/weather conditions and had to find my way to an airstrip to land in what ever conditions it gave me. I loved it, like I said. However, a few dozen landings later, it got boring without an overall goal.

13. spyker3292

spyker3292 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    What! He said he was going to update X-Plane with new stuff including helicopters. And then I thought X-Plane Auto would be a new app. :mad:

14. theishkid

theishkid Well-Known Member

Anything you guys can give us in the way of a review? I love x-plane but love helicopters even more... I'm really wanting this. Or I guess I should say that I'm really wanting to want this.

15. It sounds like you should just buy it anyway. Why wait for reviews if you like X-Plane so much? The developer is an aviator in real life, and he knows his stuff. I think it's safe to say if you are happy with X-Plane and want heli's, this is your game.

16. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    agree with Wastedyuthe. Love x-plane and love helicoptors? Seems a no-brainer.

arn

17. theishkid

Normally that would be the case... however, I had bought x-plane for the mac which has helis (for free i might add), but they were so ridiculously hard to control. Which actually means it was probably a pretty good simulation but I'm not hardcore enough to try to learn if I can't figure it out in the first 30 minutes. I just want to make sure the controls and such aren't too difficult.

18. Brendonian

Nov 12, 2008
    Basically, it's just like X-Plane, but with helicopters, and you get to fly around the Grand Canyon. The choppers are quite challenging to fly, but that's ok by me. Currently there's no VOR transmitters at the airports, so you can't do any proper instrument flying even though the instruments are there (the instrument panel is identical to the plane version). Hopefully this will be addressed in future updates.

The frame rate seems a little slower than X-Plane, but I find it quite acceptable.

For me, the biggest problem is it's not hugely different, and of course helicopters are slower than jets, so it takes a while to get anywhere.

Overall, I prefer X-Plane, but if you love that, then X-Plane Helicopter is worth adding to your collection.

I've contacted their customer support, and asked about navigation, so hopfully that'll help push them to get this added. They've also told me that X-Plane Airliner was submitted at the same time as Helicopter, so it should be available soon. I have no idea what it consists of, though.

19. Brendonian

Nov 12, 2008
    I find the controls tricky, but far from impossible. The trick is to be really smooth. Bring the collective down very slowly when taking off so you can judge which way the heli will try to drift when it leaves the ground, this way you'll be ready to compensate for it. Once you're up and flying, it's pretty easy so long as you don't put in any really sudden inputs which can easily throw it into a crazy spin. Landing is possibly even easier than the planes because you can take your time. You don't have to maintain any forward momentum to prevent stalling.

20. theishkid

Thank you for your thorough review. I'm still debating if I want to buy it since there are a lot of really good apps coming that I want... ie. Sim City, and now I'm really curious about X Plane Airliner. I really love helicopters but from your review it sounds like it might be a lot like the mac version... I'm really wanting something more like Sim Copter. I think I'll wait a bit for a video review on youTube.