iPad X-Plane 9.02

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by recoman3, Oct 15, 2008.

1. recoman3

recoman3 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    It's out, and looking sweet ^__^

2. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    Woot!!! It's here!

I've been waiting on this update ever since they announced the update and X-Plane Automotive. This has some very worthwhile fixes and toppings to go with it! I just downloaded it, and I will tell more about it after I have had some time to try out the EPIC new features, such as the map!!!

3. I have downloaded it and love it.
    Here are some of the improvements-
    Firstly, the propeller graphics look a LOT more realistic when rotating-
    [​IMG]

And here is the new map when you first view it-
    [​IMG]

But of course you can zoom in by pinching, and rotate and move-
    [​IMG]

And of course, as you can see from the map, there are now 3 airports/runways. Excellent. To any of the admin, you are very welcome to use these pics for a post on the main blog if you like.

4. More photo's-
    New airport/runway (I don't know how the developer calls them airports when there nothing there but the runway) number 1-
    [​IMG]

New airport/runway number 2-
    [​IMG]

After playing around for a while, I have found a couple of things with the map that could do with a little working on. Firstly, we have a compass in the HUD of the plane, but there is NO compass on the map! You only know what's North by the maps default orientation (2nd picture from the top on my previous post). Surely it's customary to have a compass on a map, no? Secondly, the plane visible on the map (visible on the same picture) is always pointing up regardless of the actual plane direction. I didn't realize at first, and thought I was going in the right direction for the runway when in fact I wasn't (the first point about the lack of a compass on the map doesn't help here). I will email the dev about this. Still great otherwise.

5. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Is there a way to select a starting airport? I'd like to start near the sea in the north ;).

6. Actually this is the other thing I want in an update. You can't actually choose which one to start on. You either choose the default runway (the original one) or a random place on the map.
    I have tried in vain to contact the developer by email, but can't find one on the official site. I know of an X-Plane dedicated forum site here , where I have posted the same pics, and am hoping the dev frequents the site.

7. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Ok. I tried the thing with the random location. This obviously works after a few trys, but in about half of the random locations I'm set *directly* in front of a mountain and have to react a bit faster than normal to not fly into it. So I see work on this feature as well ;).

8. Yeah, when that happens I like to pretend the real pilot has just fainted from scurvy or something, and you have just taken over control after chucking him out (the seat I mean, not the plane ;) ).

9. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    Hey you were saying that you couldn't find an email to talk to the developer/staff? I have been talking to them off and on and they respond to my questions relatively quickly. BTW, the update is pretty awesome.

10. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    Hey the developer just sent me an email that says:

"More coming, Brian. 9.03 will be out in the next week or two and will give you a instrument panel you can shoot instrument approaches with, and fly IMC on. It's really, truly becoming an amazing little app, on an amazing little computer. Enjoy!"

Austin and his team are firing off updates faster than we can ask! Anyways I hope this provides insight to those of you who like me can't wait for the next update!

11. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Faster than we can ask? Its been months since the intial app was released, with no significant update whatsoever. I truly regret my purchase and will not be buying anything from this developer again. This app had/has so much potential and yet all they do is release trivial* little updates every 2-3 weeks. For a $2 app that might be fine, but not when you pay this kind of money.

I am hugely disappointed by their lack of effort in improving it. And what exactly do I mean by that? I think we all know the answer to that: more planes, semi-decent textures - just more to do. Again, if this were a $4-5 app I wouldn't say a thing, but this is just not acceptable.

*One may argue that the 20% performance increase isn't trivial, but really I barely noticed the difference. Compared to the content that everyone has asked for-while a welcome improvement- is rather useless.

12. Can you share the email address to write to with update requests? I still can't find one anywhere on the official sites.

13. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Ah, lets go for a short reality check: With "months" you mean exactly "one month", don't you?

Also, the game wasn't broken or rubbish like many of the games in their first release. It worked, it had the features they described and you could fly around, start, land. Now they polish it and add new features - for free. Two updates in one month, respecting the review black hole of Apple, looks very good, if you ask me.

I think, that's a great deal and I really really like that every two weeks I get an update which *adds features I haven't paid for*.

Only very few developers seem to be so commited to their app and produce updates in such a fast time. Take a look at Hudson. All their games except Puzzlopp are broken, regarding performance or sound or control schemes. We had zero updates. None! Or Twinkle. Now, finally, after *months* there's an update and it still doesn't fix the worst bugs like "unknown server error" or a working block functionality or stop receiving direct messages from people which you don't follow, which should be impossbile technologically. So as far as I can see, Laminar does a very very good job on their iPhone app.

14. What are you on about? People asked for more runways to land on and a map. They now have those in the latest update. I don't call those insignificant.

15. MacGyver

MacGyver Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not trying to trash the game - its a good app, but I for one bought it knowing -initially only from the reviews- that it wasn't worth $10 in its current state, but that the developer was very eager to churn out incremental updates that would expand the content. As i've already said, the most requested features (judging by the reviews in app store, 73+) are planes, planes and more planes, as well as some decent textures - they look aweful though I understand it may be very hard due to the relatively low memory limit.

For less than half that money I've gotten apps that are much more worth my time (keyword MINE, this is only MY OPINION). These apps include Fieldrunners, MotionX Poker, Apple Poker, Enigmo and quite a few others. What sepperates these from the rest is the fact that they are incredibly polished - and I just don't get that from X-Plane, I understand its a sim, but 1 month and we still havn't seen any new planes added, we still havn't got an option to plan flights and select takeoff locations, there are still only 2 instruments to utilize and the ground is still as ugly as ever.

I am just very disappointed and feel that after raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars, the developer still isn't focusing 100% on bringing this sim to its full potential.

16. mattygibbard

mattygibbard Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Full Time Employment
    England, UK
    I smell a troll!

X-Plane is great!

17. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

Okay,

I've been in contact with Austin lately. He's been saying that soon on his next release, or the release after that will include something amazing that will 'blow any pilot out of the water'.

Wonder what it is. I'm curious now.

18. How have you been in contact with him? Is there an email we can use to make requests/report bugs to?

19. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

This sounds like he'll include the A380 ;)

20. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    got a bit of a strange one after installing the update. I don't get any sound through the speakers. However, plug in some headphones and the sound is fine. Also noticed Galcon has a similar issue, but in this case no sfx whatsoever :(

bit odd

Supermonkey ball, le blob and others seem fine