Universal X-Mercs (by Game Insight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Oct 16, 2015.

1. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I downloaded this morning despite hearing all the "free-to-play garbage" comments. They may be right, but it's free to try at least.

I do hope it's a respectable xcom-like game. I had high hopes for this one when I saw it in the Upcoming Games boards.

Pocketgamer did just give it an 8/10 http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/X-Mercs/review.asp?c=67960

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Out worldwide now I take it?

3. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    XCOM is $10 upfront ($5 if you wait for a sale), where as this game will end up taking much more money from you, with less depth in gameplay. It is free to try, but it's an insult to XCOM, because it takes so much from it. The similar name, the search section in the AppStore, the similar armor and enemy designs, and an extra slimmed down version of the combat. As an XCOM fan, it bothers me.

4. Dema9o9ue

Dema9o9ue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 16, 2015
    Lol. White Knight much?

5. Bohampscious

Bohampscious Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Lots and lots of timers.

As everyone else mentioned, combat is pretty basic with the maps being way too flat/samey.

I am enjoying the streamlined research and customizable merc skill trees.

Will stick with it a while to see what sort of live ops/events they support.

Have yet to try co-op or PVP though the orbital strike P2W sounds like a huge letdown.

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Just no point to play it unless you've completely exhausted XCOM

7. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Oh man you can write a good review and hilarious too!! Love reading this!

8. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Darn good boob physics on Lucy (Armory NPC).

9. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Stops loading at 17% mini 2

10. sarfa

sarfa Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Same for me on iPhone 6s. This appears to be the same iOS 9 Game Center problem which is affecting this and other games. I tried loading this game on an older iPad and 17% is where Game Center loads!

11. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Is the story that meh? Is there an ending? What's the mix of random, forced, and choice encounters?

Really on the fence with this one. I appreciate that you can move buildings in your base! Lol. Kind of silly that that isn't in xcom.

12. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    So can the devs fix it or is the game just useless?

13. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I was really enjoying it as a free form X-Com without the constant increasing pressure. That's my least fave part of the Firaxis games: that even when you win a map you feel crushed by the impending doom of all the other systems.

But once I hit PvP I promptly uninstalled. The AI controlled enemies can use their player's inventory without actually using it up (unlike you) and I was promptly on the receiving end of non stop grenades and orbital strikes.

All three of my units died despite being vastly overgeared in comparison and I would have had to wait 5 hours to play the game again (for them to revive-or pay some money) AND I still had the same PvP opponent (who I could change by again spending money).

14. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    The problem with all these f2p games is that ok the developers want money out of a title but the players are not so stupid to endure this kind of treatment. It's like a punishment!

XCOM EW is one of the best games that I have ever played but after reading these negative issues for X-Mercs about timers, difficulties and so on, I don't want to play it not by a long sight.

15. Bohampscious

Bohampscious Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Had the same problem.

Workaround is to sign out of GC, restart game. It will still pause at 17% but wait until GC login prompt appears. Hit "Cancel" on GC login prompt. Should successfully load shortly thereafter.

16. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    So timers and imba stuff? Guess I won't be picking this up. Effing f2p

17. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i tried it, so having played Xcom and most - if not all- similar squad TBS, i can say :

- i like the art and the models, and the character skill system
    - the combat is kept simple and short, for quick, intense pickup and play sessions
    - the super busty babes / advisors are cheesy but i could look past it
    - but the timers timers timers, made me uninstall it. Timers to build, timers to research, times to manufacture even the lowest tech

This is pickup and play for 5 minutes, 2 times per day. TWD No man's land also has timers as a F2P, but they are implemented much better than X-Mercs. If you have played X-com, take it and put a 2hour real time timer on EVERYTHING that you have to do, research build construct, this is it. If you can handle it, go on. I couldn't.

What could be a great fun X-com Spin-off as premium, grated on my patience as freemium. Oh and Pocketgamer's reviews -especially by Slater - to me give the impression of "play 10 minutes-write review", so i disagree with all of them personally.

18. mitzu11

mitzu11 New Member

Oct 20, 2015
  19. AndThereItIs

AndThereItIs Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Don't DL this f2p crap. If people wold stop encouraging these devs by just not downloading these horrid games, then the devs will realize that stupid f2p is not the way to go.

But yeah, horrible game

20. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    If you type in XCOM, this and tactical heroes pop-up. Seriously, if they had just done this game without copying so many aspects of XCOM, it would have worked out better.