X-Com type turn based strategy game in development

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JSeuss, May 14, 2009.

1. Shocked

Shocked Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    That new video looks great. I think you need to work on walking naturrally a little more.

I'm glad you use YouTube videos, many people don't, which is dumb because a video about an app should be seeable on it's intended device..

2. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
    Hey everyone,

I've just added turns and multiple teams to the game. There's a quick demo of two teams walking around in what might end up being a hotseat multiplayer mode on one device. I've also made a few tweaks to the sight logic, so the units have to turn to look around corners.

Head on over to http://game.jseuss.com to check it out.

3. G0tsk1llz

G0tsk1llz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Hey! Your game looks great! I agree that you should work on the movement. Anyways, is it just me, or is your latest demo private?

4. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
    Sorry, it was private. Should be fixed now.

5. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
    Hey everyone. Once again, I've updated the progress at http://game.jseuss.com .

I've added the first of many monthly reports to keep track of progress (It's amazing to think it was just a concept just one month ago) and I've just started thinking about team selection / configuration so I've put up a screenshot of where I'm at.

The units probably wont be as configurable as x-com for the first game, but the plan is to have fine customization in the second game along with more in depth tactical elements.

Oh, and you'll have to excuse the placeholder graphics everywhere :)

Again, feedback and comments are welcome!

6. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    My only suggestion (more of a notion, really), is that you forgo the "3 Games", wherein the first one w/ be shy on features, and focus your energy on creating one FULL FEATURED and COMPLEX title, once you work out all the details.

If there's one thing the App Store is short on, it's a truly full-featured and complex tactical strategy title. "Bellum Tactics" is a good example of a game that should have spent more time in the bullpen.

When you make a great one, it'll show. Then word will spread about a GREAT game, instead of one with "potential" and a 2.5 star rating.

Oh, and I hope you go with D.T.O.X as the title!

Thanks for listening.

:eek:

7. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
    Hey,

Thanks for the input. I know what you mean, but the plan wasn't to make a half done app and call it game 1, then add some more features, call it app 2 etc. I've been part of projects like that in the past and you're right - it just doesn't work.

I was actually going to bring out a number of full featured games that share story and artwork, but appeal to different audiences. Game 1 was a story mode game with simplified tactics for easier setup and gameplay, while game 2 is the type that will take longer to play, and is more of a micromanagement tactical game which would scare some players off.

After much consideration though, I think you're absolutely right. Rather than bringing out multiple titles I'm going to try to find a way to appeal to multiple audiences in the one game. I'll go back to the drawing board and start combining things into one title. I'll keep up the tactics engine progress though so people can see where that's up to as well.

And as for the name D.T.O.X, I like it a lot, but I'm waiting to flesh out the story a little before I commit to a name.

Oh, and thanks again for your input!

8. JSeuss

JSeuss Active Member

May 10, 2009
    Ok, it's been a little while, but I've done a bit more and I now have a neat tileset to use, another player unit (An armored unit), and the environment is a bit more interactive (doors for example).

You can catch up over here: http://game.jseuss.com

or for those who can't wait to see the new look, here's a screenie:
    [​IMG]

And as always comments are more than welcome!

The funds for this project are running a tad low, forcing me to spend more time on other projects. So if you'd like to help make this project my full focus then you could always check out my other products: http://www.jseuss.com/Products.html

Thanks!