X-Com on the iphone/touch?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by terrett101, Oct 16, 2008.

1. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    #1 terrett101, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
    Okay, so here's an idea. Despite the ongoing development of computer hardware, and ever more powerful and impressive games, I am still a huge lover of the original x-com games. Although I can't get it to run on this crazy fast Vista machine, I do consider this game as my favourite ever.

How difficult would it be for someone to port the console version, or the PC version, of the original X-Com UFO Defense (Enemy Unknown - UK title) game on to iPod, or really any of the other first few. Especially when you look at the latest article on the front of this website of Loopy Laboratory, those style graphics would be perfect for the battle scenes on the Earth.

Any thoughts?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be great. Although I kind of played the first one to death so I'm not sure I'd want the same game over again. How about an original sequel? Although I never did play Terror From the Deep (and whatever came after that wasn't the same).

--Eric

3. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #3 dudehuge, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
    Send Take Two Interactive an e-mail. They now own the rights for it. Those kinds of game will be perfect for the iPhone.

Alternatively, buy it on STEAM, it's dead cheap for 4.99 each or this "deal" for only 14.99 bucks, with the three proper X-COM titles and two shovelware ones. :)

Link http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Yes they will work on Vista, gotta love the sys requirements

# Supported OS: Microsoft® 2000/XP/Vista® (Terror from the Deep XP Only)
    # Processor: Pentium 90MHz or better

90Mhz is the sh!t

4. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    I think X-Com is in my Top 5 Favorite Games Ever.

Hence, this idea makes my Top 5 Favorite Ideas Ever.

5. terrett101

Oct 15, 2008
    I had no idea Steam was offering Vista compatible versions. That's one of the best things related to games I've ever heard. I will seriously look into getting those. I have numerous versions of pretty much all of them on disc, and have had some success on xp and vista, but have never been able to get the sound to work on apocalypse, which had always put me off starting again, even though I've yet to finish that one. I'll definitely investigate emailing Take 2, it would be interesting to see if they've thought about it or are open to the idea. It is certainly something I would spend money on.

Glad you like the idea, I can't think of a better gaming experience that to be able to pull X-Com out of my pocket anywhere and play to my heart's content :)

6. Aeroflux

Aeroflux Active Member

Sep 9, 2008
    #6 Aeroflux, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    Wow, an x-com thread! I just had to bring this one back to life. I've been thinking about how to get x-com on the iPhone, and there is a possibilty! The first Playstation had X-Com UFO Defense in it's library and a psx emulator for the iPhone exists. Maybe, just maybe us hardcore fans of x-com can finally play it on the go!

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I can't find the thread but I had posted the same thing a few months back!... I love X-Com!!!

8. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    x-com would be sick on the iphone

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Rebelstar: Tactical Command for the GBA...

http://www.gamecritics.com/review/rebelstar/main.php

...is truly a forgotten gem; basically the tactical part of X-Com, designed by the same team.

My favorite portable strat title.

they could easily beef this up w/ a global map and re-create X-Com for the iPhone. There'd be a lot of $$ in it!!

Also, Jagged Alliance, which is rumored to have a 2009 release date for the DS.

10. Silverye

Silverye Member

Dec 22, 2008
  11. terrett101

Oct 15, 2008
    Wow, you guys brought my thread back from the dead. If there's a psx emulator out there and someone could get x-com working on the touch, I would jailbreak for that. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that steam has the complete collection available for purchase through their system (works on vista) and they are having a sale on it this weekend, so it's only $5 right now. I snapped it up right away and it's great to be playing them again, and on vista too!

12. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Ooops, how did I miss that (Steam $5?!) ?! Looks like i know what I'm doing tonight when I get home...

13. terrett101

Oct 15, 2008
    Here's the link.

14. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 would make good iphone games also. That would be pretty sick.

15. C0C0MONKEY

C0C0MONKEY New Member

Feb 7, 2010
    X-com for iphone

X-com is on its way to iphone.
    The Lead Software Engineer of JSeuss Software is also a big fan of X-com and has assembled a team to re-create the isometric turn based game for iphone.
    The games name has been dubbed 'ISOCHRON'.

Take Two Interactive (who own the rights to X-com) have sat on there hands on what could be 'money for jam' re release.
    I wish JSeuss all the best for there launch and hope it wakes 'Take Two' up to what they have brushed aside.

They also think it’s important to allow players to give feedback early and often in the games construction and will be letting some parts be totally influenced by the fans. So check it out at http://game.jseuss.com/ for more info -it’ll be up soon.

16. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Wow. Legendary game. Inspires almost universal reverence from former players. I hope they do right by the original.

17. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    I think that the closest you can get to X-com is lasersquad in the c64 app its even from the same people that made X-com i beleve just years before

18. Bochu

Bochu Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    There was a sale just over a week ago on Steam where you can get all the X-Com games for $2. I snapped that up and X-Com: UFO Defense is still as fun as it used to be.

I used to think X-Com would be great on the iTouch/iPhone but I've since realized that long games with a lot of complexity and on-screen buttons doesn't work for me on the iTouch. I wonder if things will change with the iPad...

19. Cid_X

Cid_X Member

Apr 28, 2009
    #19 Cid_X, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Yes please. Lost many hours to the xcom games (excluding Interceptor).

20. halljames

halljames Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    UK
    I have been making do with the Laser Squad version on the iPhones C64 emulator. Its pretty god damn good.