WWDC 2011: iOS 5, Mac OS 10.7 Lion, and iCloud!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by K?!, Jun 6, 2011.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'll wait to see how it works, but does iCloud really not support streaming? That's a bit weird if so. I guess if it let's me delete tracks on my devices, that could work, though.

Any word on if Game Center will support more leader boards? How about easy profile switching (no password entry) and saves associated with GC IDs?

In any case I like everything that's been announced.

2. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    iTunes 10.3 is officially live and kicking - links fixed, but NO 64-bit version in sight yet. The link takes you to 32-bit.

3. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
  4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Most of the stuff I wasn't really very impressed by (or already have on windows 7) but I was surprised to see IOS5 will support my third Gen. I know technically there is no reason why it couldn't but still I thought apple would use this chance to cut it off.

So I guess that's one bit of good news as far as I'm concerned as it does look like more of a useful update than usual with the wifi syncing and notifications being improved.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    They are still selling iPhone 3Gs officially so there was no way I'd expect them to cut-off that gen of hardware. iOS 6 on the other hand will most probably cut those off though.

6. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    "Pretentious?" The world is not entirely composed of people whose calendars, if they used one, would have an 8 hour bloc that read, "Sit down in front of computer" every day.

Surprise: The iPhone is primarily a productivity device.

7. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Educate me on 'Computer Free' iCloud syncing

Same here. Interesting to see which first apps I bought when the App Store started.

Anyway, for us whose computers have taken a huge share of our storage just for our beloved games and apps, with this PC-free syncing feature, iCloud etc, is it ok to delete all our apps stored in our computers? Why or why not?

8. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I'd be wary of all apps that have been removed from the store or are in danger of being removed. I deleted all the ones I do not play now and probably will not (including many purchased ones), but I still keep my favorites and obviously the ones on my device. For example I would not delete Madden NFL 2011 because I think 2010 was removed when 11 came out (what i heard I have no idea really). And since I use a time machine backup they will stay backed up.

9. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    #109 seyoon, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    Ahhh. So I guess the safe way to go at it would be to keep a backup if I'd want to delete em and free some needed space. I'm thinking of just deleting them all because with this new feature, seems like it'll be fine (cept for the Apple removed apps like you mentioned). I'm also eyes wide open what will be the next Time Machines. There had been a few rumors last few days. With iCloud for Apps, iTunes Match, Time Machine, Thunderbolt externals, I think I'll be very fine with an SSD MBP or even an meager storage'd Air.

10. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Well said.

11. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Can you move photos to different albums right now within the photos app. I hate that all my wallpapers are mixed with my photos and would like to have them separate. It seems like it will be possible for sure in ios 5.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Naw, you can't disable the argument by throwing an example in completely the opposite direction. I didn't say productivity apps were a bad thing, I said people's reactions to them were. Also the way they try to sell themselves.

The iPhone is primarily a phone. Phones are just as unproductive as they are productive, particularly phones with access to 100,000 games and entertainment apps.

13. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Does iColud mean we can all just get the basic iPod/phone with 16GB as we can download apps/games as and when we please and carry on where we left off?

14. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Nope. iCloud is not streaming. Think of it as an invisible PC next to you. If you have a 16gb touch, you'll still use that to save your apps and games which you can pull from the iCloud.

15. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, thats what I mean really.

eg Complete a game, delete it, a week later pull it from the cloud and have all your game saves. I know it's not streaming, but still means we don't need so much hard-drive all at once.

16. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    There us another thread where someone said game save still do not work. When you delete an app, apparently it deletes all files associated with it in the could. The cloud is supposed to be mainly for pushing and maintaing data between many idevices (partly the pc as well, but i would rather sync to the pc still). So no game saves even still. They might think it will take up too much space in the cloud storage after already saying app data will not count towards your 5 gb.

You know what might work, if saves where stored locally on the device through gamecenter. When you delete a game, and say you want to leave it on gamecenter, apple could allows saves to be stored as well. You should then be able to go through and manage and delete app saves within gamecenter. BUt I'm not sure how much memory game save will take up. I would think very little for most games, so this could really work.

17. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Did anyone try shared calendars or knows how they work? Do they allow to share a calendar across multiple iCloud accounts?

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I sure hope it lets you organize photos and videos. Sorely needed. Would love to hear that it does that. Also, to delete songs. Otherwise using iCloud for music will be a semi-bust - you can download from the cloud, but you can't clear things out so you can download other stuff? I hope they've added the ability to delete, songs/albums/artists and such, on device.

19. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    You definitely can delete songs and move photos to other albums.

20. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Now or on ios 5? My question about albums was for now. I know it can be done in ios 5.