iPad Wurdle vs WordsWorth - Need help deciding!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Seien, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    #1 Seien, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    I realize that there have probably been a skillion threads about comparing word games, but I couldn't find one specifically comparing these two games. I'm trying to decide between wurdle and wordsworth, and I just wanted a little feedback on which one you think is better and why. Mainly I'm looking for a game to keep me occupied in class tonight.

As of now, I have textropolis and stitchem', both of which i thoroughly enjoy. I'm looking at expanding my horizons and moving on to more word games, so which one of these two do you think is better?

2. dwsolberg

dwsolberg Active Member

Jul 28, 2008
    #2 dwsolberg, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    Either game is great. Wurdle is more fun to me because it duplicates the Boggle game that I love.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    depends on if you like boggle or bookworm more.....

personally I like wordsworth better.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #4 NotYou, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    I really like both game. Wurdle is played against the clock and Wordsworth played with no rush(they just added a mode that is against the clock though).

Wurdle is more customizable. You can change the number and style of the tiles. Wordsworth is what it is.

The tiles in Wordsworth vanish and new ones appear when you make a word. In Wurdle, they stay the same (makes it possible to make multiple words from plurals, etc).

Those are the main differences. I like them both. I tend to play Wurdle more, just because it feels like a more traditional word game. Both are worth getting though.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Same here. I prefer wordsworth.

6. Actually that's only partially correct. Wurdle now has an option to play without a time limit. In this mode, it gives you the total number of words possible and you have to try and find as many as you can without worrying about running out of time. However, with some extremely obscure words that no-one has ever heard of, it is virtually impossible to find every single one.

Me? I actually prefer Wordsworth because I like the fact that more letters drop down, with 'wild-card' blocks and timer blocks etc.

However, I do agree with others that both are very good and you will be happy with which ever one you choose to get. If you can get both, then do so.

7. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    As others have mentioned, this is because these games aren't really comparable. Wurdle and Quordy are fundamentally similar. But Wurdle and Wordsworth are basically different games. To me, while both games feature timed and untimed modes, Wurdle is better suited and more fun for quicker (timed) games, and WorthsWorth for relaxed (untimed) games.

8. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I prefer WordsWorth. Wurdle looks a little bland for me.

9. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I also prefer WordsWorth. I keep going back to it. I also have Wurdle but I never play it.

10. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    wordsworth > lexic > wurdle > quordy > all else

Imangi is worth a look as well, imo, but has little to do with the others. I mean, besides making words.

11. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    WordsWorth has my vote when compared to Wurdle.

I still prefer Textropolis and Stich'em Words, but WordsWorth is my number three. ^ ^

12. carolynn7

carolynn7 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Get WordsWorth! It's got 2 modes now, classic and timed. The timed version gives your brain a great workout. I really enjoy this game! I have textropolis too, I play WordsWorth the most out of any word game.

13. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for the Imangi shoutout, s0mah! It's true - it's pretty different from both Wurdle and WordsWorth. I think it's really fun for people who like word puzzles and spatial puzzles.

14. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    WordsWorth

WordsWorth is my vote

15. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York

Quordy is one of my favorite games and it was one of the first games I got for the iPhone. I still play it all the time. Will looking at Wordsworth be that big of a difference? Or if I am happy with Quordy, just stick with it?

16. iceblue

iceblue Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Definitely Wordsworth. No doubt about it.

17. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    While you can probably forget about Wurdle, you should take a look at WordsWorth. It's a different type of game. You don't use the same letters the entire time. Once you use the letters in a word, they disappear, and new letters drop down. There are also other elements to the game, like timed and blank tiles. WW is not a Quordy replacement. You might enjoy it.

18. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    Quordy has you connecting letters on a static grid- what you start with is what you get (barring a shake to shuffle). You race the clock, and when it expires, you look at your score.

Wordsworth is conceptually similar, but the letters used in matches are consumed. New letters will then drop in after matches to replenish your supply. You get bonuses for difficult letters (which is often neglected in this genre) and long words. Anyways, Wordsworth has an optional timed mode, but instead of racing against the inevitable GAME OVER, you race for the next level (which refreshes your time). Levels become progressively harder, as bomb tiles (letters which trigger end game if not used in a timely manner) become more prevalent. There are also wildcards and bonus letters to pump your score. Occasionally, the pilgrim mascot (or whatever he is) will give you a bonus word to spell for more points. Oh, there is a shuffle, but unlike Quordy, you have a fixed amount of uses.

So yah, if you like Quordy, Wordsworth will offer a refreshing change of pace. Wordsworth's gameplay offers more variety, but not enough to rob it of the adjective, 'simple'. It's more like graduating from 5th to 6th grade- everything that was good remains, but now you know about sex.

19. burrows

burrows Active Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Canada
    Bookworm is worth a try ... i know this post has expired .. but in case someone visits this ... check it out :D