Universal WRC The Official Game (by Bigben Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    #61 Sexy Pirate, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    I really don't know how this can be, I've completed the first 16 races in season mode have 4k spare currency and that's with repairing my car between every race. I'm earning around 300 credits per race.
    You earn the credits for drifting,jumping Etc so I guess if your taking to much damage from racing you could repeat easier stages to earn credits.
    I do play a lot of car games so I might be finding it easier than some people but I've placed first in 15 races and I need to redo race 16 to get my first place in that.
    Really having no problem with the currency tho by the time I finish the career I'll have more than enough spare to start unlocking extra tracks and cars.

Edit. Just noticed you said about hiring the mechanic I've never done that. I use the slider to repair your car after each race maybe that's how your running out of money as I'm not sure how much the mechanic costs but it doesn't cost that much using the slider.

2. pillzhereish

pillzhereish Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Student
    I have to say, I'm liking this game more and more. You earn a descent amount of the green currency (used for flashbacks and repairs) And a small amount of the yellow one.
    At this point the only thing missing for me is a steering wheel for more precise driving (I never use tilt in any game ever, I mostly play in my bed).

3. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    #63 worldcitizen1919, Jan 3, 2015
    Was I playing on hard mode or something?? because I began season mode and haven't played a racing game for a while but I was pretty good at areal Racing almost always winning. With this I couldn't place. Just,kept coming 17th or 18th. I couldn't make hardly any currency. The roads are quite,narrow so it was hard to go too fast without crashing often. In the end I had no credits left not even enough to repair the car and the game became unplayable as the car almost crawled.

All I did at first was play the daily race then started the season mode. Im playing on an iPad.

I'll give it another go. Don't know why I'm placing so bad.

4. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I've noticed the physics aren't quite realistic. By effect, I'm finding that racing is more about keeping the line at speed, almost stopping into the corners, and just all around not crashing. But with the physics being more acrade-y, wondering if that's throwing you off?

5. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Yeah I'd agree it's arcadey pretty much flat out through the course only braking a little to drift around the corners is how I'm playing.

Just unlocked a new car :D 2star Subaru impreza.

6. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm racing a lot better than in this video but getting 18th everytime. I've got 1 point and my car won't race again unless I buy a premium mechanic. I just don't know. .?

7. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Not everybody can be as good as you SP! #

8. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    anyone here tried it with a MFi controller?The Physics and Gameplay was always quite bad in WRC games (not realistic) so i don't expect this to be any better (and the videos doens't look like a lot of fun) but i'm a Rally Lover and since Colin is not supporting controllers (or iOS8) there is not much left to play with...

9. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    I was planning to try this out.. When I get home later, I'll see if it does indeed work with MFi and report back.

10. crapple2011

crapple2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Are the IAP like in RR3 where you could spend an infinite amount of real money more or less or is it more like Sky Force 2014 where you buy a coin doubler and that's it?
    Is this mechanic one mechanic and that's it or is it like buy a new mechanic after each race?

So basically can the costs be calculated or is it a potential "barrel without ground" (like a german saying goes) like RR3 is?

11. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    After a couple of races some quick thoughts.

Controls are ok. The arrows aren't that precise and it is super easy to over correct. Not like Colin McRae where it seemed perfect.

The environments look ok and the cars do feel different on different terrain so that is at least something. Not realistic but different. Frame rate on my iPhone 5 is fine that's a good thing.

The big issue in my mind is the IAP. Don't buy a mechanic. It is too expensive and will drain you of your initial coins. You seemingly have enough if you just repair using the slider. Unlocking new cars/drivers though seems like a lifetime away. Unless they are more generous when you finish the series getting 5K to unlock one of the tier 2 drivers seems out of reach for anyone but the dedicated. Hopefully after finishing the first series they give you a decent reward.

If they are more generous with the currency then this could be a great game. If at the end of the first series I'm still locked out of new cars/drivers then this game will just be wasted potential.

There is something here. The driving is good even if it isn't realistic. I prefer the way Colin McRae and even the original WRC games on the PS2 used to do it. They give you an hour in game time and repairs cost X amount of time. Having to use currency that can run out seems likes bad form on the devs.

12. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Ok regarding IAP and repairs, unlocking etc.
    I had 5k currency after finishing 16 races which I used to unlock a new car, that included using the slider to repair my car after each race (I've never hired a mechanic so don't know how much they cost but they are not necessary)
    Seems on average I'm getting about 200-300 currency per race and usually spend less than 100 to repair my car. I replayed a few races to get my first place points and have done two of the daily races.
    Also I suppose it's worth saying I've never used the rewind feature as I don't like that in racing games, if your failing of crash you can just pause and restart the race without having to repair your car.
    My personal opinion the IAP are not required unless you want to unlock all the special stages right away or are spending them or something I've not needed.

13. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    #74 Mess, Jan 3, 2015
    Can you restart? Maybe reinstall to get a fresh career mode?

Edit, pulled the trigger so will report back on my findings :D

14. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Well, it's a mixed bag. The analog works well enough (considering physics aren't simulation style), but it's just weird that the gass is on L1 and the brake is on R1....should be brake on L2 and gas on R2....as-is, I'll stick with virtual controls

15. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    This is after a reinstall.

16. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    Fail

Horizon tilt can't be turned off. After all these year people still leave out critical settings. Annoying beyond words. I won't have to deal with the IAP since I can't stand to play 10 seconds with the world tilting and lagging.

17. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    So after some more time with this one, the IAPs are definitely noticeable are going to be a problem. I have beaten the rally stages through Mexico and am sitting on roughly 3500 of the green coins and exactly 6 of the gold coins.

Unless I am missing something or other stuff magically unlocks after you beat all of the seasons, this game is going to be a long grind. The sheer cost of the the tier racers are 5k green or 15 gold a piece in tier 2 alone. That's just tier 2. Tier 3 is 25K green or 50 gold. That is absurd at the rate they are dishing out the current green currency. Then to top it off the Super Special Stages are 5k green or 25 gold a piece.

Those aren't too bad but seriously the grind is going to be real unless the later stages start giving out more green currency at a better clip. It appears you get an increasing number of Gold upon completing a series but man it is still not that much in the scheme of things.

I hope you like driving as Tyrell Jones (ironically the only driver without a picture) since the others are going to take a lot of time to unlock if you go for the stages first.

I don't expect things to be instantly unlocked right out the gate but I do expect to be able to unlock extra drivers and such at a decent clip. While locking all the drivers away doesn't impede progress per se as you do unlock the next stage after you complete the previous one, that doesn't change the fact that monotony has already set in for me. With only having a single driver to pick from up front (that is a crime in and of itself) and a linear progression scheme, there isn't much to do outside of what the game tells you to unless you want to give them more money. That stinks for a premium game. At least let us pick from a couple of drivers/cars and not stick us with the only 1 star driver that doesn't even have a picture.

The sad thing about this game is that the driving is fine. It is a little too on the arcade side and the physics are a little funky but the driving is fun. I"ll probably unlock a tier 2 driver shortly and see how that changes the experience but if the earnings don't start ramping up or the other drivers unlock after beating the season then I"m not sure how long I'll play it especially with the new Need For Speed coming soon.

As for a purchase, I can't recommend it at all at the 3.99 price tag here in the States. Even for the fans of WRC (I am one) since you won't be able to use your favorite driver out the gate and Heaven forbid you like a Tier 3 driver.

18. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    #79 Sexy Pirate, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
    Seriously people what ever happens to playing games for fun and having to earn the stuff you unlock? What's the general age of the people here, because "in my day" this is how it was and IMO should be. Everything's locked and you can work slowly towards unlocking the content by what I call playing the game or as most seem to call it these days grinding.
    And how can someone not recommend a game because of its £2.49 price? This is beyond me it's £2.49 the price of a Christmas card or something equally not expensive.
    I give up defending this game and I'm just off to play it because this forum post is crazy, when time machines are invented go back to the late 80's and play some real games and then come back here and try complaining about it being hard or expensive at £2.49. Pah!
    *rant over*

19. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Agreed with SP.

I managed to finish 11th in my first go. But that was a pretty bad run, and I was feeling rather rubbish. I am sure I can do a lot better!

Here's a tip, if you are having a bad run just restart the race, you will then restart with your damage meter reset without having to pay :).

Also how is everyone playing this? Tilt or on screen controls? I have gone for tilt with the bumper cam, but may switch it around a bit to see what feels best.