Universal WRC The Official Game (by Bigben Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sink_or_swim, Dec 31, 2014.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    #41 H4nd0fg0d, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Well, don't rlly kno what to tell the nay sayers but this is about as superb as rally games go on iOS. Pretty awesome imo. Wld have loved to have a dash cam view, but never the less this is a great attempt at WRC on iOS. I'm into it. Looks, plays, and controls sweetly. Kudos to the dev. Just like any other game, it could probably use some fine tuning here and there. And no frame rate issues to mention on iP6 at all. Also I don't believe the infernal IAPs are necessary at all.

2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Thanks SP. If you dig it then I'm sure I will. I'll pick it up now. (Lol, even though it was a buck cheaper yesterday.) Way to take your time with your impressions SP! Lol

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Great!

I saw something about this game and forgot all about it. For sure an instabuy for me!

4. pillzhereish

pillzhereish Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Student
    Actually you can earn some of the currencies in-game. I can tell that performing skids or jumping gives you "style points" which are the green currency.
    I'd say that the thing I miss the most is a steering wheel (like in Real Racing 3).

5. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Looks like it was released at the wrong price or something because I paid the higher price too, I tried all day on the first and I just kept saying being modified. So i only manged to get it late last night.

6. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Can you really not hide that racing line? Please could you double check for me, pretty please. I would buy the game but not if that can't be disabled!

Also does anyone know if it supports controllers?

7. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    After fiddling around with the option I found you can turn off the racing line but to do so you have to turn off the "hud" but then you get no times or speed, just the buttons, maybe they'll change it in an update.

8. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking that my 'ol ooooosexy monkey pirate :)

Thats a pretty lame decision for a "simulator" lol

9. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #49 redribbon, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  10. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #50 Leegames, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    So far I am impressed. Stable framerate, great controls and the IAP seems entirely optional, unless of course you want it all right from the start, and have forgotten that games used to have goals. :D

11. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I am climbing the fence and might just buy it. lol

12. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Darn it, can't hold back....downloading now

13. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    I'm trying really hard not to hit the buy button as well. I need me a rally game and since Colin McRae is broken on iOS8 this is looking super tempting.

I don't mind IAP in a premium game as long as it isn't needed to beat the game. I didn't mind it in Ridge Racer Slipstream (although looking at that game a few days ago and since it has gone free, the IAP is even more out of control).

As long as this game allows for full progression without the IAP then the 3.99 is a small price to pay for a legit WRC game that looks amazing from the video. Definitely better than that awful Shakedown variant from a year ago.

I can deal with the slightly not amazing visuals as long as the controls are great. Didn't bother me with Colin McRae. Shouldn't bother me here.

Really just trying to get confirmation that the IAP isn't required. I'll probably pull the trigger tomorrow out of lack of patience.

14. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I've decided to get it and am downloading now. From previous posts it seems you don't need iap to progress unless you're impatient. I don't mind grinding a bit but hope there's no massive paywall ahead. Anyway what's done is done.

Signed - Mr Impatience himself!!##

15. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    #55 Sexy Pirate, Jan 3, 2015
    The IAP arnt needed at all. You get the currency from playing the races in season mode and all you use them for is repairing your car and unlocking new cars and special stages. I'm currently sitting on about 4k of currency just from playing the first 10 stages.
    Also there's a daily race that awards you some credits which builds up the more days in a row you play.

16. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    That's what I got from the initial impressions and videos but then again upon first firing up a lot of games, it can seem IAPs aren't needed at all then you hit that paywall.

Good to hear that after a decent amount of time the IAP still isn't required. I'll be downloading this after my phone finishes charging tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the update.

17. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

Anyone who has played this and WRC 3 and 4 on the Vita. Similar or completely different games?

18. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    There's plenty good about the game. It's got the look, the feel and the sound of a great game but I think as bad if not worse than Real Racing for iap.

I'd like to know what happens if you don't hire a mechanic and your car gets bashed around a lot? Does it repair using a timer or are you locked out of the game until you buy a mechanic? I might crash it a few times to see what happens.

I've had two races and earned about 30 credits. You need 5000 minimum to buy anything. That's a lot of grinding until I improve. Anyway I enjoy the game itself but the iap is terrible as someone already stated here.

Get the game if you love racing but expect a lot of grinding. Iap are grossly unfair.

19. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

So there is a very unforgiving microtransaction supported maintenance system, huh? Sounds like it is a completely different beast from 3 and 4, but from the sound of it, not for the better. $4 is premium price territory, so there is no excuse for the game to be unbalanced toward pay-to-win, considering the price. I'm still interested, but let me know how quickly you can make progress in this game before I bite.

20. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    #60 worldcitizen1919, Jan 3, 2015
    I love the game itself. Works beautifully but who thought up such a crappy IAP system? Unfortunately I have had to refund it. I smashed my car up and it wouldn't race until I bought a premium mechanic but you need 12 gold coins and I only had 1 and the standard mechanic only repairs 30% so unless I bought a premium mechanic my car wouldn't race.

I just paid $5 an hour ago and now being scammed for more money in my book is way unreasonable so I refunded it.

It's a terrific game, another terrific game spoiled by greedy IAP.