iPad Wow, Brother in Arms is something else

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #1 Vende, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
    I'll have to try it out on the DS to see how it compares. I spent 3 hours on it today, and I feel I barely scratched the surface. Plus there's tons of replay value, great sound, and an excellent game to show your friends to demonstrate the iphone's capabilities. 5/5 stars.

[hqyoutube]eAYfieW9liU[/hqyoutube]

2. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    #2 {klondike}, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    I personally hate this game. I don't understand why everyone else thinks it's so good. I think it's one of the worst games I've played on my iPhone and nowhere worth $10. 1/5 stars.

No sarcasm.

3. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    I hope that's sarcasm young man

4. jman2003

jman2003 Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I love it too, although when I play I quit a lot cuz I get mad.

5. OahuSurf

OahuSurf Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I can't wait to try this game, will definitely give it a try once it hits 5 bucks or less.

6. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I dont think its gonna hit a price drop anytime soon, you should just get it now its worth it if you hav patience. I play the game alot ad really like it but i get mad too when i keep dying haha

7. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    We need DOOM

8. {klondike}

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    #8 {klondike}, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    Am I really the only one who hates this game? I think it
    SUCKS! Also, DOOM would be awesome.

9. Raptor25

Raptor25 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    maybe it would help if you gave some reasoning.

10. oceanbeachsteve

Dec 5, 2008
    Film Writer, Actor, Producer
    Colorado
    I think so...

You must be the only iphone wargame hater. And I think from the subtext of your message you hate doom as well, you just don't know it.

SUCKS! Also, DOOM = DOOM also SUCKS!

11. {klondike}

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Nope. I enjoy war games espcially shooters. I just think this one sucks. And if I thought DOOM sucked then I would've said that. Maybe you should try reading before you start making things up.

12. oceanbeachsteve

Dec 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Dood, I'm just ribbin' you a bit, having a little fun. It's late night and i'm bored! lol! Use those nostrils and breathe a bit, let the serious train leave the station :D

13. {klondike}

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    I'm just kidding too. But you spelled 'dude' wrong. Also, drugs are bad.

14. accidental

accidental Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I also think Brothers in Arms is incredibly average. In fact, I think it's people who are used to playing shooters who notice how poor this game is.

The controls are truly shocking, I flat out CAN'T be bothered struggling with the inaccurate and clumsy controls. I'll wait until Gameloft adds a control scheme with tilt-controlled aiming (like Cube, which has a MUCH more intuitive aiming mechanic) before I'll bother continuing the game.

Apart from the controls, basic stuff like: terrible (almost non existent) A; horribly scripted gameplay; bad collision detection, plague this game.

I personally think that many games on the iTouch platform suffer from this lack of polish (which is why Rolando was such a breath of fresh air). And that's all it is really, polish. A little more time in the oven –*as is the common metaphor in this industry.

15. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

Didn't BIA came out like looooooooongg time ago on the iPhone?

I even finish it like loooooooonggg time ago.

It's not all that bad to me. Some, of the guys like the control but some don't. I personally, had some problem with the turning/viewing control. Especially, with the jeep. But, it's still a good shooter to me. I think, the missions are great. But, kind of too short. And, the game is relatively easy. Even, though I've finished it. I still keep it on my iPhone. Going, to play it again. Unless, there's new FPS coming up?

:cool:

16. oceanbeachsteve

Dec 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Lol. I know, that was very much the drugs type 'dood'

But to stay on topic here, (in response to accidental) I get where you are saying about people coming from other shooters (from home console shooters) and the like and having to make the awkward transition to touch screen, but that's just it, you have to be able to suffer a learning curve to enjoy the game. BIA offers more than enough options to tweak gameplay to individual preferences. Now, I'm not knocking Cube cause I haven't played the latest version that may be available, but in comparison to what Cube was when I played it was a HUGE turnoff which resulted in an instant deletion of it. Like I said, I don't know if there have been updates, but from my initial impressions of Cube vs. BIA, BIA takes the cake hands down. That goes right back to your "lack of polish" thing you were talking about: when Cube came out, there wasn't even a surface to add polish on (in terms of controls and aiming). There wasn't even a learning curve for those controls, more like a learning your-about-to-drive-off-a-cliff and die situation. Idk, I have been curious as to whether the update has made it better, so I may give it another go and hopefully have a better opinion of it.

But really, to me, the numbers speak for themselves:
    FREE Cube @ 2000+ reviews= 2 stars average rating
    $10 BIA @ 900+ reviews = 4 stars average rating
    (well, 3 1/2 in iTunes: which brings up another point, iTunes vs. iPhone app store and their inconsistancies).

In comparison to Rolando I can't say cause I haven't played it yet, but to me that seems like comparing apples and oranges (puzzle vs. shooter :/ -- however, I'm very excited to get my hands on it soon!)

17. cjh625

cjh625 Active Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Title

The only thing I hate about this game is you automatically die if u don't follow the instructions. I mean Thats so stupid. You just want to chase some nazi to kill then you just die of no reason(you just fall on the ground like u die from heart attack) then I get pissed and press home button. So u have to be really careful and listen to the instructions or u will have heart attack. BC. Other than that I luv this game. Controls are great too(I use default control scheme)

18. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I didn't like it either. :)

19. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    i didnt like it either, i regret the $10 purch... Also there should have been some updates out by now! cjh625 is right...if you don't drive your jeep exactly where you're meant to, or run right after the idiots in front of you, you get hit by a bomb or expire for no reason...

The controls are pretty good, but they could have gotten the strafe down a little better.

3/5

20. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    I quite liked it, I just found it incredibly short and very easy