Would you like to be a level designers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MrFlexile, Feb 4, 2012.

?

Would you like to be a level designer?

1. Yes! No doubt!

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Maybe, but what would I get in return?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm not interested in this...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Let the developers do their job!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MrFlexile

MrFlexile Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Technical Director
    Minsk
    #1 MrFlexile, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    Let's imagine there is some really good game (let's say physics-based puzzle), which one you really like. Have you ever thought about level design? I know, i know... you may ask me "how?" But what if you can? What if the developer of the game will release some kind of tool-set for you? Would you try it? And if yes, would you expect your levels to be a part of the game with the next update?

Just to be clear. I don't just ask, i'm trying to understand if it's somehow in demand today. And I ask from the developer's point of view...

AND HEY! If you have nothing to say, please vote!

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    You're talking like a level editor in a game is something new. Of course everyone loves a level editor, but it would be stupid to include them only in an update. All levels should be available to everyone inside the game.

Look at iBlast Moki 2 for a great level editor+sharing example.

3. MrFlexile

Jan 17, 2012
    Technical Director
    Minsk
    #3 MrFlexile, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    I'm talking about separate tool, let's say for Windows. You would have the ability to create scenes and test them right on your PC.

I know that everybody loves LE's, it's definitely true for the PC and console games. But what about phone/tablet gamers?

And one more thing. Level editor is not just a tool to place new objects or connect them with some sort of ropes. It can be much more complicated as we need custom scripting. I'm talking about the Level Editor with the full spectrum of abilities, let's say the one which was used by the developers to create initial game.

4. sizle95

sizle95 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I would love to design levels!!!!!!!!!!
    If you need any one to design any levels or if your a re picking people, please pick me!!!!!
    You can PM me if you need to contact me

!!!!!!!!

-sizle95

5. MrFlexile

Jan 17, 2012
    Technical Director
    Minsk
    Hey, i'm still interested! :)

6. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I would if it was a game I was very fond of..but just any old game probably not..

The problem is, quality control..you don't want crappy levels made by amateurs, no offense. But I'd rather my favourite games like "where's my water" to leave level design up to the professionals.

Alot of games have level editors so it's nothing really that new..but you'd definitely need to only accept high quality submissions to keep your fan base happy, or simply put an in game level maker in the game and let people access it through there so it doesn't tamper with the reputation of the game.

7. MrFlexile

Jan 17, 2012
    Technical Director
    Minsk
    I'm definitely talking about the stand-alone level editor and i can't remember any phone game with such a kind of tools. So if you can - please mention. Today we're not going to create in-game level editor, but we have separate one we use ourselves. So i'm just wondering if it can be useful somehow.

And i surely agree with you about the quality of the levels. And i can say we will do our best to take only really great ones. Furthermore it may help us to find some new ideas or something like this. I hope there are many ways to publish high-quality custom levels. All we need is your interest.

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    If this were to be implemented, I'd rather there be a filter system before adding every level to the game. I don't want some half-assed attempt at a level, which doesn't work properly, clogging up my game.

9. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    So far there hasn't been a create a level on any game I've really liked Enough. However, if I could create a level in say Robokill which is one of my favorite games then I would definetly want to. In fact I'd probly keep creating lEvels and playing them forever. There are few games that when they end I Want to keep playing more and more. Nothing really on iOS excePt rbokil but on console games with levels yeah.. Even multiplayEr games EvEntually get boring and repetitive.

One perfect example is star wars Jedi power battles, it wasn't considered a good game and only had about 10 levels but I really liked the game and still play through it.. If I had the ability to keep creating more levels I think would play it forever... Also I'd tweak the controls and graphics aside from that I love the game.

10. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Am certainly interested in designing levels. PM me if you want me to help.

11. MrFlexile

Jan 17, 2012
    Technical Director
    Minsk
    Thank you for your replies!

I know that the game should be really awesome to attract somebody and it's our main goal! And I'm certainly aware of the communities on PC and consoles and now i'm trying to understand if it somehow can work here. For the iOS gamers, for this kind of audience!

Please continue to discuss and vote, I just need more facts and opinions! :) If somebody is interested in what we're doing and what kind of functionality we will be able to provide - feel free to ask!