Would you buy a $39.99 iOS Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by liquidmutiny, Aug 5, 2012.

1. icebox

icebox Member

Aug 7, 2012
    only if this said app contains freebies.

2. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Nope. You have 15 mins after purchasing a game to get an automatic refund, in case it doesn't work or whatever. With so many different android devices out there, it's simply a necessity to have an easy refund option like that, because the hardware varies so much that the chance an app won't work on your device is somewhat high.

iOS market doesn't have anywhere near that amount of problem, so an instant refund option isn't a priority. Even so, you can still get refunds, you just have to contact apple (I've never done this, so not fully familiar with the process).

3. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
  4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha... depends. There's some games out there that are priced at $250, and they look like total junk compared to every other 99 cent or free game out there...

But no, I'm not against paying premium prices, especially for games that deserve it. I'd also have to watch the pricing, and see if the developers stuck with it, or dropped the price in a couple weeks. Premium games that do this leave a bad taste in my mouth, no matter how great the game is. I know that it's the nature of the AppStore, but it really seems like they didn't do any market research when they drop the price so soon after release.

Short answer; Yes I would buy a $40 iOS game.

5. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Maybe for port of Metal Gear Solid 2, Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy), Silent Hill 2 or Hitman 2-4 :)

6. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I probably wouldn't pay $40 for a game on my iPhone, but maybe on the iPad. I could see $20 being a realistic premium price for the iPhone version of games with it's smaller screen and other limitations compared to the iPad.

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    You know this is kind of my case too. If I owned an iPad, then I'd be more than happy

8. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Skyrim on my iPad I'd pay 40 for.

Actually I'd pay it for Grimrock if that ever comes to IOS too..

9. TheUndertow

TheUndertow Member

Sep 16, 2011
    $40 is high for something without physical media or copy.

Also the evolving (sometimes less finished) nature and ability to patch should keep costs more favorable.

$20 with extra IAP would be my max and would need to be a heck of a game.

10. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 is launching digital at $40 and there are plenty of people(not the majority though) willing to pay it for 3ds.

Just saying.

11. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Personally it would take physical controls for me to spend that much on a game. I don't mind touch controls but in the end it takes a lot out of the game for me

12. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    More than happy, hmm, it's very happy I guess?

13. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I'd pay someone 40 bucks to be able to play CABAL on my iPhone.

14. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    If it supported apple tv (not the box, actual tv), mac, and iOS.

So if EA released BF4 like that I might think about it.

$60 is just way to much for consoles now.

15. bonesquad

bonesquad Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Awesome game, but Grimrock is already only $15 on PC. Why would you it be more:)

While I do think the pricing economics of the app store need to go up, I rarely pay 40+ on PC or console. I don't see myself paying close to that on iOS.

16. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Not sure I would pay $40 for an iPad game. $20 I think I would, especially if there was a Free trial version available in order to make certain I like the game.

17. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I'd also pay $40 for Deus Ex

18. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I'd pay $40 for a AAA title on iOS. A real one, mind you, not just a lazy port of a current or old game. The trouble of course would be with the controls, and most AAA titles on other platforms just wouldn't translate well enough. For example, something like a Civilization V would work, but Skyrim would not.

19. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #99 violentv, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    x_X Even if Skyrim ever appears on the ipad.. I can imagine some people complaining ""Why no retina res for skyrim on new ipad?!?! Insta delete"

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would hate to be the developer of the first $40 iOS game !!!

Imagine all the hassle you would get from annoying customers ! I mean you see the problems devs get with 69p games ('1 star review - not happy, the game crashed once, AVOID') etc or ('1 star - had to wait 7 whole days for an update, not happy !) etc.

With a $40 game some iOS gamers would expect 100000000 levels or hours gameplay for their money.