Would you buy a $39.99 iOS Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by liquidmutiny, Aug 5, 2012.

1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Similar words opposite opinions.
    it's pretty sad how many people would pay 40 dollars.
    with same money, I can support more than 10 Crazy hedgy games or even 40 Paper Monsters/Chop chop Caveman games.
    One dollar Paper Monsters is already decent, I can assume a five dollar version would be epic.
    But there are only less than a millon players bought the game all over the world, one can tell that from game center.
    Even sad thing is players of Crazy Hedgy is not enough for 100 thousand.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No clue why he was except possibly for the admission to piracy comment

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's two sides of a coin really- People who appreciate video games as an art and entertainment medium that highly value the work of developers and people who prioritize low prices over everything else.

We have a zero tolerance for pirates, if you see someone bragging about stealing something, report the post and they'll be banned.

4. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #64 klarence, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    I'm really sad for him.
    With 150 dollar spent he can be a genuine player without any problem. I think moderator should may give him another chance.
    One can buy 10 or more than 10 games within 70 dollar and 40 games at a discount price tag with 40 dollar, and you still have 40 dollar.
    well, if you have to pay for tax, you still have about 25 dollar.
    It's a mount number of games and I get asphalt 6 for free. If one have time to wait, one can get so many games with one dollar or even for free.
    I just can't figure out how can one guy don't have time to wait?
    let me make a assumption, one buy three decent games when the day he got his ios device---crazy hedgy, Great big war game and super monkey ball, it only cost him 10 dollar----I even don't mention there are so many great free games.
    With the 3 games he got, it will took him at least half month to finish them. during the period, there will be a lot of price drop games. One can just grab them for free or 1 dollar.
    and one can even share their account with one's close friends, it's a pretty good thing. I do my friends a favor and they share some of my cost.
    If one only have limited budget, 150 bucks is not a small number. I just spend no more than 200 bucks for my console yearly. Why I need to buy every new game which maybe a bad game when I can grab ture great games by 20-30 dollar or even 15 dollar for each one.
    and for now I'm kind of no need to buy any more games no matter new or used for my console due to I can hardly finish the ones I already have. But I still get one or two games sometimes because they are so cheap.
    I bought my GTA IV at full price but I still can't finish it because it's too diffcult, ok, this is not a appropriate case. How about Splinter Cell, the coop mode need a lot of time to finish and the replay value is high.
    and games with online versus, it's actually an endless mode. I can't name each one of them one by one.
    There are always more games than my time nowdays, when I busy with my Ipad some days and I don't have time to active my TV.
    I have a long time without TV series and comic/manga due to I've no time. And I don't see films any more due to I can't concentrate myself on non interactive entertainment, what kind of people I became...

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    NOT AT ALL! I'd still have my xbox if I wanted to do that. Been there-done that! The answer is emphatically NO!

6. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Sure I would. It would have be a really good game though and honestly for me touch screen controls never really feel that good so I'm not sure what type of game could be made for ios that would warrant that price tag. But never say never.

Heck, back in the day I paid $50 for spy hunter on NES.

7. themyst

themyst Member

Jul 12, 2010
    iOS games have no resale value, hence good luck getting $40 for a title. 20-25, sure. Square Enix has done that price range to good results, but I doubt anyone short of maybe Nintendo could command a $40 price tag on the App Store and expect good sales.

There is one game I'd pay $40 for, a true FF7 remake from Square Enix.

8. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I'd pay through the nose for FFX or a new exclusive dragon quest.

9. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    but you can share your games with friends.
    The real difference is, imo, digital ones is cheaper than tangible games. Developer can make more money than tranditional way per unit at the same price.

10. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    I paid $50 for Wolfram|Alpha when it first came out.

11. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Clarification question: Do you consider people who download apps on a trial basis from Instalus (sp?) to be pirates?

12. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Yes.

13. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    of course.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Of course.

15. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    For me, it depends on the genre of the AAA title. If it was polished RTS like starcraft 2 or RPG like Diablo 3, which had alot re-playability, I probably would buy it at $40 on IOS. The most expensive IOS game I've bought so far is Battle Academy at $20 and I'm very happy with the purchase.

16. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    It all comes down to the quality of the game. If it's some game without any depth or quality, I probably wouldn't buy it for $10 even. BUT, if anyone, it doesn't necessarily have to even be a big publisher were to make a big, deep, game that has the quality to be on a console, of course I would buy it!

17. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    Eli, pirates have scimitars, watch out!

18. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting. Please don't ban me, I think this is a good subject to discuss.

If someone did use that before mentioned app to download a game or something else to test it out, then decided he or she wanted to own the app (perhaps its universal and only his or her iPhone is Jailbroken and the iPad isn't), would you still consider that person to have done something wrong in the end?

Android Marketplace allows just that, correct? You can download an app for 15 minutes without paying for it specifically for the purpose of testing the app. Maybe you wanna make sure it runs smoothly on your device or you want to test out the controls to see if it's even playable?

If Apple does something similar, would your opinion change, I wonder?

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm come on ! Sorry to say but i cant think theres many people out there who might download an app illegally for '15 minutes' to test it out, then afterwards think 'yeah its good i'll buy it now....' and then delete the 'illegal' app and then buy it. The difference is here they can have the game for free, its not a 15 minute trial.

Reminds me back in the 80's when kids had copies of games on tape, i dont remember many instances where someone had a copy of a game and liked it so much they then went out to buy it.

I must admit the Android idea of having an app for 15 minutes and then buying it or not is a good idea.

20. But of course...

Now, someone tell me what Instalus is and for what platform. :)