Would you buy a $39.99 iOS Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by liquidmutiny, Aug 5, 2012.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    :) this for me

2. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    If new super Mario brothers was on iOS it could probably hit #1 at 39.99

Just sayin..

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Give me Dragon Quest IX and I'd pay up to 20,-€ - 25,-€.

4. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Not to mention the explosion if Pokemon were to be released :D

5. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    remember one thing, IOS games are all digital, they should not price it that high.

6. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Wii just got a Dragon Quest mmo, no reason the iPad can't handle it and I'd pay monthly for it.

7. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Heck, I would pay $40 for a straight port of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night right now, so long as they added iCloud saves and GC achieves. But that's just me, lol.

I think the right games could sell for $40 on the app market easily. People spend more than that in a single purchase of smurfberries, so I don't see why $40 for an entire game is so completely out of the question.

I don't think it's going to happen for another couple of generations, though.

8. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Or in other words, if it was worth it then yes, no problem.

For that kinda money I would expect 100+ hours of gameplay. perferably an epic RPG ^^

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    ^This

Ever heard of Steam?

10. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    ^This.

11. RobotUnicorn

RobotUnicorn Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    #31 RobotUnicorn, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    something is missing in this thread. casual players will never take the trouble to post in a forum like this. phones are a diff medium, you wudnt want to play on a desktop or console while lying on a bed unless you have mounted a screen on the cieling. This applies to the time during coffe breaks, lunch hours, intermissions in movies, while standing in line for a ticket, during transit... etc etc. there is a point to playing games on a pocketable device.

you can also never say something is not worth the price. these are wonderful pieces of art, they are worth far more than we pay for them.
    would hesitate to spend the money on a game more than 300-500 mb, dont understand why anyone expects 2 GB in a single game !
    have xbox 360, play two games at times, mortal kombat vs dc universe and burnout paradise. who knows, maybe if a tower defense or endless runner comes out for a console, will run to the store and buy it. dont see anyone asking these questions to xbox devs tho. atm think these casual/social iOS IAP is far more worth, surprised more of you dont do it. maybe these games need AAA marketing that is all.

12. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    ^
    This.

Also, with AirPlay being more popular and iOS devices becoming more powerful it really is only a matter of time before a new infinity blade or something else hits the AppStore that is as good or better than a lot of console titles. And can be played on your TV.
    When that starts to happen I can't imagine people not be willing to pay $40 and up. Possibly even killing the console one day. Who knows.

13. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd already got 100 hours fun from Gangstar Rio

14. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Currently, no. But I can sense this is where the industry is headed. In other words, in a few years this price point wouldn't surprise me.

15. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Of course I would.

True.

16. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    100?! From Rio? Wow :eek: haha

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #37 backtothis, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    I know right?

I've barely gotten half of that from Skyrim (beat main game + all side missions)..

As for the OP, I wouldn't pay $40 for anything currently out on the AppStore. I found the Chaos Rings series to be worth its price tags though. FYI: CR2 launched at $15.99. Maybe one day. For now, I can't imagine spending more than $20 on an iOS game.

18. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    umm, no.

i would pay that much for a good music making app or a good movie editing app though.

but it will have to be really, really good, because i will judge it and compare it to the likes of nanostudio which is awesome and "only" cost 19.99 with the 4.99 IAP, or Garageband which is 4.99, and to iMovie which is 4.99 and is pretty sweet.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The problem is IF someone did release an app for $39.99 and it did sell a 'few', but as the price tag was so high they made some decent money. Then it would spell chaos for all of us, to me iOS is a 'copycat' type of place, Angry Birds does well, then forever after theres Angry Bird clones coming out.

Temple Run variations seem the 'in' thing at the moment.

If a 40 dollar game did well then there would be LOTS of 20-40 dollar games, many of which are probably terrible but devs see big money in a 40 dollar game and do the same. Think it really would be disasterous for the app store.

Apps dont compete with huge console games which have spent millions in developing some new amazing game, apps have their own 'section' in modern gaming, one that shouldnt have silly price tags.

20. Klemen

Klemen Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I'd download it, but I wouldn't pay for it :D