Worried about infinity blade gameplay

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Nov 7, 2010.

1. zI Veo Iz

zI Veo Iz Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Texas
    I'm more worried about the price :x.

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    If it is, I hope they didn't keep that loud DONG sound that would play every time you tapped somewhere. That sound effect is loud as hell on my headphones.

And to anyone worried about swipe controls, give Mirror's Edge a try. That entire game is swipe controlled, and it works and looks extremely well.

Love the dual sticks. Call of Duty: Zombies has similar controls.

3. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I agree it's pleasant but this won't work well for many cases:
    • For any action game where dodging is an important element. There's no dodging with those movement controls.
    • For any action game where changing very often your direction is important. The demo works because the pace was quiet. If you was in action changing constantly your direction, your hand could block the view too often.
    What I mean is that the gameplay needs some adaptation to work well with the point system used for moving in this demo. For example if there are fights, they should not require a constant control of movements.

But I also agree it's a very cool control movement mode, not that all games should be adapted to work well with it.

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If that's the case, then yes full of win.

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

#25 ScottColbert, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    I've heard the dong only when the cathedral bell rings, never when I moved. I'll have to use my headphones and try that.

Mirror's Edge is an excellent example of fantastic and responsive swipe controls.

Added:

Holy crap, that dong is annoying! What's the pont of that?

6. ScottColbert

Would it work well in a FPS? Probably not; but as has been pointed out Mirror's Edge uses the swipe control for dodging, changing direction, jumping etc.

7. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    That would sure be a win win situation. But how ya know this?

8. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Mirror's edge controls are rather fun and good but won't work with so many games and changing direction is only forward/backward.

With such capacity of controls design through virtual controls on a touch device, you don't design a game for a type of controls like it's done on other devices, you should design a game and the controls for it.

In the system like the engine demo, the problem is that the cam is controlled with swipe controls in any directions. And this is one of the great points of the controls in the demo. But this means that you'll hardly use swipe to dodge and jump if at same time you move the cam direction with swipe.

But some recent RPG like Drakensang and some month later, Dragon Age Origin on PC, used both very similar controls and they could work almost as well. In such games dodge is pointless, constant movements isn't useful or very rarely, and both have the problem to manage click and drag to move the cam and click on an interface element.

On an iPad with a similar control system, with touch controls quite close than in the engine demo, this would work rather well, if not better because swipe+Touch works better than drag + point and click. The only problem is to not have enough space on screen for as much shortcuts for spells, items or skills than in those PC games.

9. ScottColbert

Simply because you move forward and backwards in Mirror's edge, doesn't mean a dev couldn't make it to where you can swipe in any direction.

And I'll disagree with swipe+touch working better than drag+point+click, as thats far more responsive and precise than swipe could ever be.

10. t0panka

t0panka Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Creative Director
    Slovakia
    i read that somwhere here...toucharcade post or interwiev with developers.)

11. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    Other directions are already used for some other commands than moving so it would not be possible in this game without to change a whole part of the commands set.
    You are fast and precise with drag? Well good for you but I bet many people aren't. Keep the mouse button constantly pressed is a penalty for speed and precision.

Just quote how often drag is used for action in games or applications... almost never, now drag&drop is replaced by two clicks. Even the menu, to keep them open, no drag but two clicks, and so on. I can quote you ton of example showing that all interface designers try minimize a lot the use of drag. There's a reason for that.

And for touch vs point and click, well play a fps where you just touch to shoot and you'll see how too easy it is in comparison with aiming with mouse movements. But yes the mouse can have the speed to compensate.