Universal World Zombination - (by Proletariat Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mikeworld, May 4, 2014.

1. OrionnoirO

OrionnoirO Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Anderson,IN
    I know I would def. prefer a second character to having to create another account... I do not like the idea of a second account at all, would much rather have two characters, or, the same character/account being able to simply switch between the two factions with the same character/account... The more seamless, the easier it will be for the user to enjoy both sides of the game. But please, do not make users create another account as that is probably the messiest of the options..

2. sjsivak

sjsivak Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Game Dev
    Cambridge, MA
    I am going to be live on Twitch in about 20 minutes so post your questions up here and I will answer them!

3. Just started playing this game, the graphics so far look amazing. Looking forward to controlling the zombies.

4. sjsivak

Aug 14, 2013
    Game Dev
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks to everyone that watched the stream on Wednesday and sorry for the chat issues. The video is available on YouTube if you missed it and we will be doing another stream today at 4:30 pm EST where we are going to show some new features going into the game and giving away a few promo codes.

5. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Enjoying the game, but was it necessary to have timers for health regen in the tutorial?
    It almost made me want to give up before I'd even started as I was keen to get into the game mechanics and having delays spoilt the learning curve a bit.

6. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I almost forgot about this game
    Jumping right into the game, after doing a tutorial mission I find myself having to wait for my units to heal
    Really? Timers right after I started

7. sjsivak

Aug 14, 2013
    Game Dev
    Cambridge, MA
    The update after next, which should be out in about 2 weeks has a new version of this mechanic. We are reworking the balance for the progression and this mechanic is being switched around. Appreciate the feedback, if you guys have other thoughts or ideas please let me know, we are listening and playing right along with you.

8. OrionnoirO

OrionnoirO Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Anderson,IN
    Glad to hear tweaks are inbound... As I am starting to hit 5min waits for unit heals, I worry what's around the corner :( I look forward to seeing the game evolve and hope others will stick with it too, these are some VERY dedicated devs who listen to player input. So, if you have something to say, pipe up! :)

9. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    So to level up our units we need to let the unit we want to level up take up other units
    Do higher level units give more exp to the unit I want to level up?

10. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    How do the two factions compare? Is the playsyle very different ?

11. devilmouse

devilmouse Member

Yup-- higher level units give more XP as do rarer units.

Very different. We sort of ended up making two different games (whoops). The humans play like a more traditional tower defense game, while the zombies are closer to a reverse TD but with 100s of units flooding the "lanes" instead of just a handful.

12. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    I can't decide which side to choose!
    Can anyone weigh in on the fun-factor / uniqueness of either side and help me to pick one?
    Haven't started playing yet

13. sjsivak

Aug 14, 2013
    Game Dev
    Cambridge, MA
    If you like tower defense you will probably like Survivors. The Infected play a bit more unique style that is sort of reverse tower defense, like Anomaly a bit. I personally like Survivors more but Infected has continued to get better as we iterate on the map content.

This video shows the gameplay pretty well.

14. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    How do guild raid events work?
    I had one in Los Angeles but it seems I was the only one who did it

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

I've been testing this since the early days of alpha, and these are exactly the kind of developers you want behind a freemium product that is intended to be played socially, through grind and for progression, and over the course of long time. The devs are communicative, receptive and responsive, and fully intend to find a line where free and paying players alike can have fun.

There are timers (though no absolute paywalls), but so far, they have not bothered me. A player who wants to spend hours with the game might be bothered by them, though. But again, that might be just the required balance between player access to content, and developer profit. (And I really, really want to see what Proletariat can do with well-filled coffers.)

The game itself is actually a bit simplistic for my taste (a full RTS/realtime squad combat game with similar social and global mechanics would have been more to my liking), but it IS exceptionally polished. Visual design is reeeally attractive, with stylistic graphics and detailed maps, the UI is smooth and accessible, the globe interface is immersive and pretty, sound is at least passable, the game has been stable even in alpha, and the game flows great on newer devices.

What the game lacks in strategic depth in combat (mostly, human faction players just places and rearrange units, tower defense style), it might also make up for with unit collection and evolution. I imagine that once the more advanced units starts filling up our roosters, there will be quite a lot of finesse to unit placement and combinations.

Also, with recent and upcoming updates, the player is gradually given more manual control over units, and the patch in testing has already done quite a bit for my enjoyment of the game. I would not be surprised to see Proletariat gradually add content and features that give players finer control over combat, and that add further interactivity to the experience.

Targeting priorities prior to engagements, as suggested by McGuffin, is a great idea, and would expand the scope of strategy further.

So, in closing, what is already there is great, and I have high hopes that the devs will continue to add stuff that will make the game more appealing, both to players who find World Zombination's current gameplay form perfect, and for hardcore strategy/tactics enthusiast such as me (though never enough to satisfy us, but we're insatiable in that way ;) ).

16. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I am getting a ton of lag after placing a couple of units in one of my games that I had to exit.
    Did that level a 2nd time and the same thing happened

17. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The chat in this game is broken since I can only see recent message when I post a message

18. sjsivak

Aug 14, 2013
    Game Dev
    Cambridge, MA
    We have done some major improvements to the game and performance should be much better. If anyone is interested in getting an early look and not in Australia you can send me a message.

19. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I am still getting crashes

20. sjsivak

Aug 14, 2013
    Game Dev
    Cambridge, MA
    We are going to be starting the Android beta in the next week or two. If you have not signed up on the website yet you can send me a private message with your email and device type and I will make sure you are on the list.