World Without End by Steve Uy (Avengers Initiative, XMen)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by steveruy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. steveruy

steveruy Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Comic book guy/ game creator/director
    NY
    It's set in a fantasy style world, but it's more realistic. No magic. Although clerics can heal, but whatever...

2. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Also, just finished designing the main menu. It's still early so I may make changes later, but here it is for now.

It should be animated in the final game, barring any technical issues, so for now I just made a ghetto gif of it. I did this by taking the stills from photshop and making jpegs of them, so naturally it's inaccurate and choppy. I have no animation program, otherwise I would have found a way to get the clouds to move properly, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #43 undeadcow, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    I'm very excited about the game but respectfully advise the title screen currently seems bland. Maybe it'd be more meaningful in the presence of plot narrative. Something emphasizing action or showing villains might be more engaging.

4. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    I guess if you want an "action" shot, you've got a million action games or jrpg's to choose from. Or even one of my comic covers. This title screen emphasizes how alone the Hero is and how cold the world around him is.
    There are many RPGs with happy characters trying to look cool with flashy skills and fancy costumes, in a world they have to protect because it's a wondeful world filled with "love" and "beauty." This isn't one of them.

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thematically that title screen makes sense; I am curious about the game plot and adversaries.

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    While I like the title screen, the dev really overreacted to undeadcow's comment. Wow.

I'd like to know if the final title screen animation will be representative of the ingame animation. Also, what time frame can we now expect the game to be finished by?

7. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    My apologies if my post seemed off, I meant no offense. It's late, I'm typing as fast as I can while doing some last minute business emails, can't really double check to see if anything I wrote would be taken to mean something else unintentionally.
    Anyways, I still stand by what I wrote, it just wasn't meant as a swing at anybody or anything...
    well, except the million jrpg's that have fancy schamncy characters and heroes going on about how beautiful their world is! C'mon, you gotta admit how cringeworthy some of those scripts are!

As for animation, the title screen you see is pretty choppy, being a photoshop gif... the in game should run smooth, especially the smoke in the back, which I didn't even bother to animate properly for this (it was meant as a programming mock up, to show my programmer what layers move and in what direction).
    And timeframe for the final game is still the same... hoping to get the beta by the end of the year. Still my first game, and programming is still being handle by one man, and budget is at zero, so with kickstarter pretty much done and dead, I can just hope there are no delays and everything moves forward from here on till the end!

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Not really; he was pretty reasonable in his response. Not every game needs is a spiky-haired hero performing limit breaks on a flaming minotaur on the main screen.

This is somewhat reminiscent of the people who complained that Wrath of the Lich King's opening was mostly scenes of Arthas standing around overlaid by his father's monologue, rather than the cliched action bites of the first two expansions. Or the guy who just a day ago complained about Kard Combat's name, and told the developer that they need a new one and should perhaps have a poll to that effect, as if he was somehow the arbiter of good names.

Writers, artists, and musicians all tend to get justifiably annoyed by people who tell them to change a specific idea into something generic everybody has already experienced a thousand times before. Or, to put it another way:

Steve: Here's the hero, standing cold and alone in a bleak, forbidding world.

Poster: Boring! Add more fireballs and swords and monsters!

Steve: >_<

9. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
  10. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Wow looks pretty epic!

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    There's nothing here that warranted the snide condescension of the dev's post, nor the lengthy meandering rant of yours. The poster even fairly mentioned that maybe the poster would be more appealing with some context behind it. It's like you had some rant built up and just belted it out without actually reading what the poster actually said first.

And for all your brow-beating about cliches, that gif is hilariously the biggest cliche of all: a solemn figure standing in the wind. With his back turned to us no less. You guys really want to rant about cliches, address that instead of harassing posters with your unnecessary ill thought out diatribes.

12. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ok thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly, i will be donating for sher.

13. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Not sure if I should post this here or in a new thread altogether, but here goes:
    we're playing around with the idea of having some vocals in some of the tracks. I made a quick vid here to show possible vocalists what to expect in terms of composition. Note that the digital vocals are all placeholders and are meant to show the vocalist what to sing for.
    This is, unfortunately, a volunteer gig only, since we got nothing left in our budget.:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWH0gPhUns

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #54 Appletini, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    The irony here is fantastic; you're getting unnecessarily worked up and lashing out because people don't agree with a misperception of yours that was already corrected. Pretty sure the developer would be just ducky with being allowed to talk about his game without the thread being sidetracked, which goes for all parties involved.

That's workable; you'll really need to make sure the talent is there if you pursue that path, though, otherwise you'd be better off just going instrumental with that part. The main theme is reminiscent of music from classic SNES/PSX-era console RPGs (particularly with the digital vocals) rather than the more overtly orchestral works in modern games, which I appreciate, but the central motif in this iteration is perhaps not quite as strong or memorable as it could be. That might have more to do with the lack of actual vocals at this point, however.

15. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    wow, this game looks awesome. can't wait to try it out!

16. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Embedding vocal music sample...

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Generally loving vocals in videogames tracks (something really under-used), I would say...go for it!!!
    As a sample, it's really nice.

18. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Lovin this steve!

Im waitin for this gem! Best of luck in development and compliments on the artwork...its truly awesome....any dates of release yet?...in need of beta help?

19. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Fell in love with this game

20. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Any new news? Release date??