Universal World of Tanks Blitz (By Wargaming.net)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ip4weather, May 5, 2014.

1. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Arghhhh!!! Noooo lol. Oh well, suppose it stopped me from wasting hours on beta, to be reset :)

2. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Is this universal then or is there a seperate version for iPhone been made?

3. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Maps are way too small for higher tier tanks

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #24 Rip73, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Universal.
    I put it on the first post for the iPad but I think its the same on the iPhone as iPad at around 961mb.
    Edit. Just checked and its reading as 962 mb installed size on iPhone 5.

It is a very enjoyable game and as I'm spending more time with this release version, it is still extremely fairly balanced and everything is earned with relative ease. Not too easy of course, otherwise everybody would have a tier 10, but earned in a very normal progressive way that will take a degree of time to get to the top tiers but no paywall that will block you.
    I'm up to 5 new tanks with some decent upgrades right now after some very short playtime (with the soft launch release) and I'm gonna have to start planning out my next steps in the tech tree as they call it.
    I can see some high prices for the very top tier tanks but even at this early stage, I can't see it being any kind of a problem. It is perfectly fair.
    In fact, due to the fairness of the model, I will be supporting it with some form of iap, I just don't know what to get as there is nothing in particular I'll need it for but the model is so fair, it'll just have to be supported in some way.

They have said they have plenty of new maps on the way. They have also said the maps will stay relatively small because of the time limit they have on matches and to try and keep up the pace of the game but they do seem open to adjustments on the map size as more players get on board basically.
    I still wouldn't expect very large maps but I would be surprised if future maps don't get some bit of a size increase as it was something people requested a greater choice in.

5. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Thanks for the info m8

6. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Check out the post on first page of thread as well.
    I know, its very rambling unfortunately but I was short of time and I tried to squeeze in too much detail in a hurry but I did try and cover the base points.

I'll have to admit it took me a bit of time to get used to it initially but that's really just because there is a lot in it.
    It's very satisfying once you get in to it, get to grips with the tech tree and adapt to a tanks behavious. Somewhat addictive at this stage now.

7. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Rip73... You tease! Lol

8. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Runs great n looks great... But I get a lot of server disconnects :(
    Anyone else get this?
    Maybe they overloaded or doing stress test with soft launch?

9. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Stress testing the servers is a big part of the soft launch.
    It's the main reason they picked the countries they did die to the location of their own servers.

They had some server problems when they launched the pc game first day years ago and I suppose its something they want to avoid this time when this one launches internationally.

10. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    #30 Bloodangel, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    This is incredible! Can't believe I have world of tanks in my pocket!
    Only bad thing is, it's soo addictive lol
    I am a big fan of the PC version and have the 360 version too... It's great been able to play this anytime as my PC is at my parents and gf moans if I go on Xbox too much.. And I mainly played this on the xbox.... So no more moans now I can whip it out n play anytime (the iPhone that is lol)

Plays very similar to PC/360 version.. Just has less tanks per side, smaller maps, less detailed maps and less nations tanks... But I'm more than happy with it.
    Wonder if they will add new nations or bigger maps eventually.
    The gfx arnt as good as battle supremacy, but it's... WORLD OF TANKS!! Yesss!!

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

I must be waxing hyperbolic with age, but yeah, it kinda is. This might be one of the first pages in an entirely new chapter of iOS realtime online gaming. The game runs superbly, fights have a simultaneously smooth and realistic sensation to them that few games can match, and everything, from menus and UI to netcode and social features, seems very, very polished.

12. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #32 Rip73, May 8, 2014
    Also, agreed.
    It's very addictive and just a whole lot of fun as well.

And amazingly fairly balanced. I'm progressing along at a very steady pace. Up to tier 5 with very little effort and definitely not what I'd classify as grinding as it has simply been a whole lot of fun.

I think I'm still gonna have to buy a bundle just to show support for the model on this one and the game itself. I'm thinking a 30 day premium would be fair reward to the developer. And earn enough extra xp and currency with it that I'll eventually find some use for even though at the moment I have loads of it spare.

I know some here will frown on that iap concept but to be fair the dev needs to be rewarded by some of us. I don't see it as necessary to progress in the game but I do believe this is one of those games that will grow a lot and they'll need to be rewarded fairly for that.

I'm gonna need more tank slots at the rate I'm going anyway because there's some lower level tanks I want to hold on to for a good while, that T18 tier 2 is a bit of a beast for its tier.
    The matchmaking is very solid as well by the way which is quite nice.

13. TopherW

TopherW Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Tank Limit

It looks like you can only have about 7 tanks before spending money to garage more. Is that correct or is there a trick I am missing? I thought you had to sell tanks to open up room to have more tanks. That is my only issue as I want to have unlocked a whole lot of tanks (even if I can only battle with a few at a time) and not be forced to sell them to open up room. I like to go up a Tier at a time but want the ability to go back and use those older tanks without having to rebuy and level them up again. This is maybe something that the original World of Tanks goes into but I am not familiar with that one at all.

Hope that makes sense?

Chris

14. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Just found about this. Release date?

15. TopherW

TopherW Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    No release date has been given for world wide release. Have to have an account in one of the countries that it is released.

16. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #36 Rip73, May 8, 2014
    I thinks its five tank slots you have at default.

I'm up to tier five and the best tanks to keep (for me anyway) are T18 and Panzer III.

You can buy extra slots but for the vast majority of players, five is enough as some tanks you just won't keep using.

In saying that I did buy five slots as I do plan on spending a lot of time with this one but those slots are still free as Im just going to sell on the lower tanks (except the two I mentioned above) as gaining xp on them is not much use when you've researched and bought all the modules available for them so its of more benefit to sell them at that point and gain the xp on new tanks.
    You can convert xp from a fully mastered tank to free use xp but you'll need a bit of gold for that as well so its best to just move on in relation to some tanks.

It's no harm to buy some gold anyway, I did because I thought the game deserved it so if you think the same, obviously do the same but for the time being, I'd hold off on more slots until you hit tier 5. You'll have a better idea of what tanks to keep and have a better idea of how many slots you'll need or if you need them at all.
    Definitely do keep the T18 though, that thing is ridiculously powerful.

Oh and be sure and use up the xp of a tank on modules before you sell it. I've made that mistake a few times already. You can combine the xp with free use xp to use it up on modules which would seem to be more useful than keeping individual tanks as the modules don't have to be bought again when you sell the tank and are available for other tanks as far as I can tell.

The tech tree has a lot to it so I'm still learning a lot about it so forgive me if I'm wrong on a few of those points, I'm pretty sure I'm fairly right though.

Oh and one last thing. The xp is the most important thing in the game. You'll earn in game currency with the greatest of ease and gold, it's really ones own choice or not to get gold but you wont need it progress, but xp has lots of uses in the game so that should be your primary focus and you can only earn that by playing.
    You can get a bonus extra with a subscription but I'd recommend only getting that if you're going to invest a lot of time in the game.
    I did get a subscription as well but up to tier 5, I didn't have one and I didn't need one and I still don't think I do but I did see it as a fair reward to the dev in the end.

17. TopherW

TopherW Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Yupp, once it comes to the country I am in I will definitely throw money their way but whereas I don't have a credit card in Denmark I will have to wait :). Thanks for your answer though. Sounds like the key is to unload the upgrades so that when you sell the tank you don't lose the upgrades you earned (in case for some reason you ever want to go back you don't have to earn those unlocks again).
    That was for the PC version though so maybe this one doesn't require that step.

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yep, I think you're right.
    Funnily enough I don't think I unmounted the upgrades before I sold the tanks but I still had the use of them later on.

Edit. I just checked by rebuying a tank and all the modules I had bought for it and upgraded when I originally owned it were still available for use with out purchase so they must have removed that step that was there in the pc one.
    I just mounted them all again to full upgrade level and no charges or anything.
    I suppose to be cautious, it would be best to unmount the upgrades before selling just in case it plays a factor later.
    Thanks for pointing that one out.
    It doesn't seem to be a necessary factor but a very good point worth watching out for, cheers.

19. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    On other versions, if you researched all modules for a tank, it would make it an elite tank and you gain extra xp I think it was.
    Does it do this in this version? I notice you get the leafy design around the tank tier number... Which I think it did in the other versions... Just wanted to confirm this.

Hope when it's released world wide, that data isn't erased... Then again, I wouldn't mind starting again as it's fun! Very addictive!
    Yeah you sell tanks to free up slots on the PC/360 too... So it's normal, I don't hold onto older tanks as they are less powerful than current tank that you use. I also never used any consumables. I only bother with standard ammo too, and get on fine :) crew also gain xp.
    Game is super smooth, great fun, good battles, good match making... But I do get the occasional disconnects... But heard it's because they stress testing servers and that there will be lot more servers available at launch.
    There's also a couple of good features in this that arnt on the other versions.

Hope they release other countries over time and bigger maps. Although I only ever play German tanks... As I love the German tanks n designs :)

20. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Oooo... Time to go visit Sweden for a couple of minutes :)