iPad WordsWorth vs. Textropolis vs. Stitch'em Words

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mr_mini, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What should I get...

1. Dude get [b]WordsWorth[/b], it's a decent Bookworm clone on the cheap.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'd get [b]Textropolis[/b] because Ian Marsh makes good games.

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. [b]Stitch'em Words[/b] is truly the king of word games, get that!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Words are for nerds, save your money and buy a pepperoni pizza!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. mr_mini

mr_mini Member

Jan 23, 2009
    I don't usually play word puzzles that often, but have been craving one recently.

I am looking for something that will not bore me, and something that is fun to play. I have seen good reviews about WordsWorth, Textropolis, and Stitch'em Words here, and was wondering how they measure up against each other ?

Has anyone played all of them to compare them ?

2. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Obviously not going to state my opinion, but you should add a poll to the thread!

3. stitchemwords

stitchemwords Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I would love to see responses as well :)

4. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I'm not biased but I would definitkey have to say textropolis. It's a great fun game with a uniqe twist. It will keep u playing for a long time. And I mean a LONG time. If you search the forum for textropolis available now thread u can read nor about it.
    But I definitkey reccimend textropolis.

Haha alot of misspelings, I'm typing this on my iPod. But the point is still valid. Textropolis rocks!!!

5. mr_mini

mr_mini Member

Jan 23, 2009
    how do I add a poll :( I only saw an option to create "New Thread" not "New Poll"

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I didn't play the last one but Textropolis is one of the best word games I've played so far due its achievement feature. By the way, I have a lot of word games...

7. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    Textropolis is the only game I play every day. It is the best word game out there.

8. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone know how to add a poll to a thread? :confused: I don't :(

9. touch_me

touch_me Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I have played all three...and while Textropolis is fun, I am totally loving Stitch'em Words nowadays ! If you guys haven't tried it out yet, you are definately missing out on it !

10. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    So far I have not played Stichem' (Planning on picking it up in the next hour or so) but I can safely say my favorite is Textropolis. The way i determine whether or not a game was worth the download is if I put as many hours into it as I have dollars (Ie. an Eight dollar game = playing it for eight hours, then its worth it). As of now I'm sitting on about 10c per hour with Textropolis. It is so entertaining, and you can pick it up, play for a few, and put it away (and then start to pay attention in graduate school :D ) Also, we all know how damn addictive the achievements are, that adds alot of replay value. In short, Textropolis is well worth the money, if you are borderline about buying it you won't regret it.

-Seien

11. bounty81

bounty81 Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    +1 for Stitch'em Words ! The concept behind the game is a total thrill. You are not just making words from letters...and are forced to think outside the box of how words can be made. Love it since I downloaded yesterday!

12. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I have about 20 word games, including WordsWorth and Textropolis. I haven't tried Stitch'em yet, but I might look into it.

I can't say much about WordsWorth because I honestly haven't used it that much. I have been desperately looking for a viable Bookworm replacement, and although WW comes close, it's just not it. It seems to be very well received, though, and I've been meaning to start playing more. If you like Bookworm-type games, I think it's safe to say, WW is a good choice.

Textropolis is a different kind of word game than WordsWorth. It's based on anagrams, which lock you into a set number of letters to work with per level (as opposed to a game like WW which has you use available letters and then replenishes them after use). I have been playing this one every day since it appeared in the App Store. It's a very polished game that takes a word game "standard" and totally reinvents it. Everything - from the graphics to the sounds - is perfect (in my opinion).

Basically, I think it depends on what kind of game you are looking for. WW and Textropolis are not really competitors in the same way that, say, Wurdle and Quordy are.

13. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #13 Donburns99, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    I've played all three and honestly all three games play differently. The only real thing in common is that they deal with letters in some way and you make words. How this is done is different in each game.

If I was to rank them, it would without a question be:
    1. Textropolis
    2. Stitch'em Words
    3. WordsWorth

That is not to say WordsWorth is bad, as I personally love all three of the games. They just each play differently and I'm going by which is most fun and which I play most.

Textropolis has the best addictive factor and has so many good qualities. It's above all the others for me right now. Of the three, it is in the middle for replay value. For the amount of time spent on a game, you WILL spend a lot of time playing Textropolis. Even better, you will want to spend the time while solving each city. It never seems like a chore and can easily keep you hooked for hours.

Stich'em Words is such a great concept and I love the way it keeps me thinking while playing. Unfortunately it needs some improvements and is not as at the same quality level of my number 1 choice. For those who dislike the standard word game where you take a group of letters and make them into words, you may just like this one as it has less of an emphasis on individual letters. Even those who love any word game, this game is fantastic and have it's own individual flare from the standard word game. Unfortunately, it has the least replay value of the three. Once I finish all the levels, I probably won't replay it until more are added.

WordsWorth easily has the most replay value, with randomly generated boards and the biggest emphasis on individual random letters. The other games do not have this random factor, this game does. It goes off the honeycomb board style with each cell being a letter. It's great for both the word-geeks and the casual thinker. I personally have less fun playing this title than the above two and play it less often. With that said, it does have the most replay value and will stick around after the above two are gone.

14. touch_me

touch_me Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    #14 touch_me, Jan 23, 2009
    I totally agree with bounty81!! I was hooked onto Textropolis before Stitch'em came out.

But Stitch'em is a total blast...and as you said, makes you think other than the conventional anagram style game.
    In Stitch'em, you are given a few pictures, and given a few letters...and you combine them to make word. For example, Star + E = Stare !

I think it depends on what you are comfortable with. If you want to say with regular anagram style games, like chicktionary, you would love Textropolis. If you are looking for something new, you cannot go wrong with Stitch'em !

It would be interesting to see what other users, who have played Textropolis, have to say about Stitch'em if they try it.

15. 99Games

99Games Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    Hi..We are glad that you liked our game WordsWorth. We have submitted an update to the game on the App Store. This update should make playing WordsWorth more fun. Thank You :)

16. mr_mini

mr_mini Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Well I downloaded Textropolis and Stitch'em both. Textropolis is fun to play as it is a bit speedy compared to Stitch'em. Stichem is slower-paced but is such a great concept !
    I don't think I have played both well enough to declare a "favourite", but I will post my thoughts after spending some time with both of these.

17. carolynn7

carolynn7 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I'm liking wordsworth!

Wordsworth is one of my favorite games right now. I find myself playing it more and more. I like that I can keep picking it up anytime for a quick game, or sit around and play for hours... My next fav is textropolis, I can't believe how many 4 letter words i've found so far. It's a little tougher, but good when I feel I need a challenge. I haven't tried Stitch'em words yet, so I can't comment about that game.

18. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    #18 yourofl10, Jan 23, 2009

FYI add a poll to see which one is better, i have wordsworth it pretty cool and its almost like the game "BookWorm" on yahoo games and other places.

I say wordsworth (if you like bookworm you'll like wordsworth)

See my Review on my website

19. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    I have changed my opionon a little. Can you buy two? I just downloaded Wordsworth and it is a great game. Textropolis is great also. Why don't you just buy both?

20. 99Games

99Games Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    Hi Carolynn

Good to know that WordsWorth is one of your favorite games. We are adding new features into this game to make it more interesting.